Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Day My Grandfather Groucho and I Saved ‘You Bet Your Life’  (Read 4784 times)

BrandonFG

The link is from the Eyes of a Generation Facebook page; it's an account of how a simple phone call led to You Bet Your Life enjoying a new life in reruns. Really great read.

http://boingboing.net/2013/03/12/the-day-my-grandfather-groucho.html
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

brianhenke

Re: The Day My Grandfather Groucho and I Saved ‘You Bet Your Life’
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 07:50:30 PM »
  It was mentioned on a thread here two years ago. In that thread, I said that I watched Groucho's YBYL in 1977, the year he died. At least it was saved for future generations to see, unlike most other NBC game shows.  (Can you imagine what might have happened if Heatter and Quigley got a phone call from NBC saying that they were going to destroy the Hollywood Squares tapes?(

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

jimlangefan

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 08:00:24 PM »
  It was mentioned on a thread here two years ago. In that thread, I said that I watched Groucho's YBYL in 1977, the year he died. At least it was saved for future generations to see, unlike most other NBC game shows.  (Can you imagine what might have happened if Heatter and Quigley got a phone call from NBC saying that they were going to destroy the Hollywood Squares tapes?(

Brian

But according to Peter Marshall in his Hollywood Squares book, wasn't over 3,000 of the shows found when they were looking for Dark Shadows?  Which some of them then shortly afterwards ended up being on GSN?
TV's Big Dealer

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 09:03:07 PM »
Why would the Dark Shadows masters be with the Hollywood Squares masters? Unless ABC and NBC used the same storage facility I can't imagine how they would ever be together.v
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 09:11:37 PM »
Why would the Dark Shadows masters be with the Hollywood Squares masters? Unless ABC and NBC used the same storage facility I can't imagine how they would ever be together.

Wasn't it all basically Viacom as the parent company by then?
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 12:54:49 AM »
IIRC, "Dark Shadows" reruns had been airing on the Sci-Fi Channel (now Syfy) since the mid-90s or so. I think a few also aired on NBC a few years prior, as part of a promotion for a DS revival.

The "Squares" episodes didn't turn up until 2002, right before Marshall's book came out.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gamed121683

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 01:43:24 AM »
IIRC, "Dark Shadows" reruns had been airing on the Sci-Fi Channel (now Syfy) since the mid-90s or so. I think a few also aired on NBC a few years prior, as part of a promotion for a DS revival.

The "Squares" episodes didn't turn up until 2002, right before Marshall's book came out.

Maybe this will clear the confusion up:

http://www.classicsquares.com/reruns.html

PYLdude

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 02:51:11 AM »
Why would the Dark Shadows masters be with the Hollywood Squares masters? Unless ABC and NBC used the same storage facility I can't imagine how they would ever be together.

Wasn't it all basically Viacom as the parent company by then?

Not necessarily. Some parts of the Filmways library did end up in the possession of Viacom (Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction), but IIRC only because CBS retained rights to the series after they were cancelled. Dark Shadows and a whole bunch of others ended up in the Viacom library awhile after that when Worldvision Enterprises merged with Aaron Spelling's company.

Although I'm suddenly curious as to whether or not The Addams Family was ever in the possession of Viacom (I don't believe so, because it's currently distributed by MGM with Green Acres and Mister Ed, all Filmways productions and Worldvision, as far as I knew, only had home video rights).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

PYLdude

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 02:51:32 AM »

Maybe this will clear the confusion up:

http://www.classicsquares.com/reruns.html

Certainly does.