Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $25,000 Pyramid on CBS ca. 1993  (Read 9951 times)

Chelsea Thrasher

$25,000 Pyramid on CBS ca. 1993
« on: October 02, 2015, 12:53:07 PM »
So, was going through some more of the never-ending gift of VHS tapes courtesy Chris Lambert, and I came upon something.  On December 24, 1993, and again one week later on 12/31, CBS aired a half hour of $25,000 Pyramid on their daytime schedule.  The two episodes aired were 1/10/83 (on Christmas Eve), and 1/11/83 (on New Years Eve)

I'm curious if anyone knows what led to CBS running Pyramid on these particular days, and specifically, why Pyramid.   The show hadn't aired in first run in two years, and hadn't been seen on CBS in over five.  The show was doing reasonably well on USA (and the two shows are from the portion of the run USA was airing at the time), but it just seems like an incredibly random thing for a broadcast network to do, particularly given how otherwise terrible the genre's fortunes were on broadcast TV at the time.

Jimmy Owen

Re: $25,000 Pyramid on CBS ca. 1993
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 02:38:56 PM »
On the East Coast they had a half-hour to fill before a football game both days.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »
It just hit me that CBS probably had a bowl game and/or parades on either of those two days, which would've pre-empted the soap operas. I'm guessing maybe the game started at 2:30 or 3:30, when "As the World Turns" or "Guiding Light" would've normally aired.

I remember watching "Pyramid" on that Christmas Eve, but can't remember what came on after that.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 02:44:52 PM »
On the East Coast they had a half-hour to fill before a football game both days.

I was wondering if it was football-related but didn't want to go look it up; 1993 was significant to me because I spent Christmas away from my folks that year and I remember going over to my uncle's place on Christmas Day for dinner because the Niners were playing. So that makes sense.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 03:02:22 PM »
The Sun Bowl (EDIT: Actually that year, called the John Hancock Bowl) on 12/24 and a regular-season NFL game (MIN@WAS), unusually, on Friday afternoon 12/31. I remembered the first, had to research the second.

Why Pyramid is a much harder question :) Especially since they had so many 1/2-hour TPiRs from recent Bake-off years on hand.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 03:17:04 PM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »

I was wondering if it was football-related but didn't want to go look it up; 1993 was significant to me because I spent Christmas away from my folks that year and I remember going over to my uncle's place on Christmas Day for dinner because the Niners were playing. So that makes sense.

The reason I remember this one so well is because NBC promoted the crap out of their sports lineup that day: they had their usual two basketball games on sandwiched around the Oilers-Niners tilt in San Fran.

This was the season that the NFL tried an eighteen-week schedule, complete with two byes for each team, if you remember that experiment.

(IIRC, the next time Christmas fell on a Saturday, the NFL scheduled a game on Christmas Eve afternoon as well- Jake Delhomme making his national debut as the Saints beat the Cowboys.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

danderson

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 07:23:49 PM »
i think that NBC preempted a syndicated show to air Oilers-Niners(cant remember the name of the show) and Sisters(drama show starring Swooise Kurtz and Sela Ward) to air Rockets Suns from America West(can remember Tom Hammond and Steve Jones on the later and Dick Enberg and Bob Trumpy on Oilers-Niners) i am going by a memory because i had a tape of both the Oilers-49ers and Rockets Suns from that day or was Knicks Bulls the late game?

pacdude

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »
or was Knicks Bulls the late game?

The world may never know.

danderson

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 08:51:40 PM »
what shocks me is that NBC would take the 7pm hour away from the stations for Oilers 49ers, instead of having a 1pm start for Rockets Suns but when you have the chance to show two NBA games and a NFL game you do what you have to do(you very rarely saw the network cut into the access time in those days, outside of the Olympics or later on NCAA tournament coverage)  the late game by the way was Magic Bulls, not Knicks Bulls

danderson

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 10:33:47 PM »
The Sun Bowl (EDIT: Actually that year, called the John Hancock Bowl) on 12/24 and a regular-season NFL game (MIN@WAS), unusually, on Friday afternoon 12/31. I remembered the first, had to research the second.

Why Pyramid is a much harder question :) Especially since they had so many 1/2-hour TPiRs from recent Bake-off years on hand.
makes me wonder why they had MIN/WAS at 3pm instead of having it at 4pm so that they could show "Guiding Light"?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 10:48:31 PM »
makes me wonder why they had MIN/WAS at 3pm instead of having it at 4pm so that they could show "Guiding Light"?

Because the NFL tells the network when the game is going to start, not the other way around.

/at this point I just want to know what time Wapner was on.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 12:46:53 AM »

Because the NFL tells the network when the game is going to start, not the other way around.

Ten minutes ago.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 05:08:50 AM »

Ten minutes ago.

Uh oh... Uh oh.... Uh oh....