Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What are your favorite opening spiels  (Read 16509 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: What are your favorite opening spiels
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 06:59:28 AM »
"all this people want to know: where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?"

in the Italian edition the host would enter stage and have an excange with the audience

"hi guys!"
"HI MAURO!"
"you are all great!"
"THANK YOU!"
"you're welcome..."

and of course now we have Avanti Un Altro!  where the audience begins the show by singing to the host "remember that you must die!"

Geez, remind me never to host certain Italian game shows. ;)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Unrealtor

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2015, 08:35:06 PM »
On a not-so-dramatic note, I always enjoyed Gene Wood's introductions on "Feud". Can't remember where I read it, but someone compared it to a boxing announcer introducing the competitors in each corner. Very fitting.

I like that intro as written, but I think Gene Wood was less suited for it than some other announcers would've been. I would have loved to hear someone like Johnny Gilbert booming out the "ready for action" and "on your marks" line. Gene's voice never conveyed that much tension or excitement, even when he was trying to build it. I felt the same way about his period filling in/auditioning on TPIR after Johnny Olson's death. He just couldn't get his energy high enough.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 09:16:29 PM »
On a not-so-dramatic note, I always enjoyed Gene Wood's introductions on "Feud". Can't remember where I read it, but someone compared it to a boxing announcer introducing the competitors in each corner. Very fitting.

I like that intro as written, but I think Gene Wood was less suited for it than some other announcers would've been. I would have loved to hear someone like Johnny Gilbert booming out the "ready for action" and "on your marks" line. Gene's voice never conveyed that much tension or excitement, even when he was trying to build it.

Bobby Peacock

ActualRetailMike

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 09:08:17 PM »
"One of these stars is sitting in the secret square.
And the contestant who picks it first could win a prize package worth over (insert value here)."
'Wooo...'s from the audience
"Which. Star. Is it?"

JakeT

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 11:09:00 PM »
"In a moment, a game that intrigued a nation. In a moment, the game strategy, knowledge, and fun. In a moment, TIC-TAC DOUGH!"

How many times can they say "in a moment" before the moment has come and gone? ;)

JakeT

JakeT

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 11:17:12 PM »

I like that intro as written, but I think Gene Wood was less suited for it than some other announcers would've been. I would have loved to hear someone like Johnny Gilbert booming out the "ready for action" and "on your marks" line. Gene's voice never conveyed that much tension or excitement, even when he was trying to build it. I felt the same way about his period filling in/auditioning on TPIR after Johnny Olson's death. He just couldn't get his energy high enough.

When Johnny Gilbert subbed on FEUD, the opening seemed entirely too rushed to me...

JakeT

chrisholland03

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2015, 11:39:36 AM »
Likewise the Rod Roddy subs seemed too slow...