Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Network game shows that were uncleared in major markets  (Read 15481 times)

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
Re: Network game shows that were uncleared in major markets
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 03:03:50 AM »
Too many of the posts to this topic go against the title by referring to markets that are not major (or even large).

I'm not sure the biggest markets I've lived in (San Diego and Orlando) qualify as major, and the latter has been covered better than I can do justice.
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 10:15:33 AM »
True, but a thread of just "major" markets (say Top 20) could be a very short thread.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JMFabiano

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 11:29:01 AM »
Chicago never got the full hour of FFC--we only got the second half-hour.

Similarly, I don't think NYC ever got the full hour of Dawson Comeback FF.  Don't quite remember if we got the former or latter half on WWOR. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

bosox1256

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 07:01:06 AM »
WLNE in Providence (which was CBS at the time) only aired TPIR and nothing else.  They aired a movie in the 9-11AM segment.  In 1988 they did air the "3 Bobs" promotions (Goen, Eubanks, Barker) but that was it.

From what I recall (and looking at old TV Guides), WHDH (CBS Boston at the time) never aired Eubanks Card Sharks, it usually was a syndicated game show in its place.

aaron sica

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 09:32:49 AM »
WLNE in Providence (which was CBS at the time) only aired TPIR and nothing else.  They aired a movie in the 9-11AM segment.  In 1988 they did air the "3 Bobs" promotions (Goen, Eubanks, Barker) but that was it.

Most likely because it aired during a network show that they *did* carry....I remember WNEP in Scranton airing a promo for the premiere of MG90 during either Monopoly or Super J!, already knowing that they would not carry it (due to another subject in its own thread, noon news).

byrd62

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 05:32:13 PM »
Whatever CBS carried at 10 am Eastern time from about 1962-83 was not shown on its then-Tampa Bay affiliate WTVT-13 due to that station's longstanding relationship with Group W's syndicated Mike Douglas and John Davidson shows (full 90-minute version, not the 60-minute type that some stations chose to air), as well as Hour Magazine with Gary Collins, from the same syndicator, in the 10-11 am slot, until about 1986 or so.  The Joker's Wild original version was among the game shows that got bumped, along with $25,000 Pyramid and Press Your Luck.

WTVT also bumped whatever CBS aired at 4 pm, including Tattletales, Match Game, Press Your Luck and Body Language, for Merv Griffin during the mid-1970s into the early '80s (Mission: Impossible reruns aired in that slot, on that station, from about 1973-75).

The original Card Sharks with Jim Perry was never shown on Tampa Bay's NBC affiliate WFLA-8.  When NBC carried Card Sharks at 10 am, Channel 8 bumped it for the Tampa version of the Romper Room franchise.  Then, when NBC moved Card Sharks to the noon hour, Channel 8 bumped it for an hour-long midday news show.  The irony of this was Channel 8 carrying reruns of Card Sharks in the fall of 1982, just before Jim himself returned to NBC a few months later to host Sale of the Century.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 12:40:58 AM »
Chicago never got the full hour of FFC--we only got the second half-hour.

Similarly, I don't think NYC ever got the full hour of Dawson Comeback FF.  Don't quite remember if we got the former or latter half on WWOR. 

From what I remember the last time this was brought up...

WWOR had the second half of the hour when it started because they were airing TNPIR as its lead in (they'd been airing the show as a double run for at least two years before that). When they dropped TNPIR at midseason, Feud was moved to the mornings and for at least a little while, the full hour was cleared.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022