Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC revives TTTT  (Read 22797 times)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Re: ABC revives TTTT
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2015, 10:57:19 AM »
Maybe so, re Garry Moore's version vs. Bud Collyer's, but I'm trying to avoid an avalanche of posts of the "Garry couldn't hold a candle to Bud" variety.  If people prefer Bud to Garry, that's their privilege; I have better things to do than defend my own preference.
You must be confusing the comparison of Garry/Bud to an actually important one people will actually debate about, like Dawson/EverybodyElse or the biggie, Barker/Carey. There's nothing to avoid when no one cares nearly as much.

For me, both versions were great. So great that when you try to compare one another, I'll accept any opinion because they're both right to me. Moore's version was certainly more relaxed, and to me it was the greatest thing to happen to the show. When I think of a modern type of TTTT, I think of his version.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2015, 03:12:22 PM »
If people prefer Bud to Garry, that's their privilege; I have better things to do than defend my own preference.

Then....don't?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2015, 07:27:10 PM »
If people prefer Bud to Garry, that's their privilege; I have better things to do than defend my own preference.
I know you're kinda new here, but that's how message boards work: when you take a position that other people disagree with you are expected/encouraged to defend your position, lest other people dismiss you as a tosser. If you don't want to then Chris's point applies, don't defend your point but also don't expect us to fall all over ourselves to give a darn what you think about anything that enters your head.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2015, 08:57:45 AM »
I grew up watching Bud's version, so I liked his style.  By the time Garry's version hit the air, Bud was, um, not available, so I was okay with Garry doing the show.  I grew to like Garry's version even more.  Since our market didn't air TTTT after 1974, I would like to see those post-74 episodes, as they are for the most part, new to me.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BillCullen1

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2015, 12:57:46 PM »
I grew up watching Bud's version, so I liked his style.  By the time Garry's version hit the air, Bud was, um, not available, so I was okay with Garry doing the show.  I grew to like Garry's version even more.  Since our market didn't air TTTT after 1974, I would like to see those post-74 episodes, as they are for the most part, new to me.

Ironically, Bud died the day Garry's version of TTTT debuted on many stations. Since I grew up with Garry's version, I like that better. But I do enjoy catching an episode with Bud whenever I can.

dale_grass

« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2015, 05:55:58 PM »
Ironically, Bud died the day Garry's version of TTTT debuted on many stations.

Jack Clark, in an authoritative whisper: "The password is 'coincidence'." *ding*

calliaume

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2015, 09:38:36 PM »
I grew up with Garry Moore's version (although I must have seen a few Bud Collyer episodes when I was very, very young - I was five years old and just entering first grade when CBS cancelled the show once and for all), so that was my favorite.  I think it's generally that way when picking a favorite "version" of a program - which explains why I'm one of the few people who likes Dick Sargent's cranky Darrin on Bewitched rather than Dick York's befuddled one.  (Hey, if you'd been living with being turned into a toadstool and whatnot for five years running, you'd be pretty ticked off, too.)