Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC revives TTTT  (Read 22783 times)

pacdude

ABC revives TTTT
« on: June 23, 2015, 09:13:46 PM »
http://www.buzzerblog.com/2015/06/23/abc-revives-to-tell-the-truth/

"The network will be reviving the classic panel game show To Tell The Truth hosted by Anthony Anderson, star of the network’s sitcom Black-ish. Featured on the show’s panel will be game show legend Betty White."

Matt Ottinger

Re: ABC revives TTTT
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 10:53:41 PM »
"The network will be reviving the classic panel game show To Tell The Truth hosted by Anthony Anderson, star of the network’s sitcom Black-ish. Featured on the show’s panel will be game show legend Betty White."

"The catch this time is that the celebrity who is the worst at figuring out the identity will be facing a punishment."

Four words: Betty White Dunk Tank
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 11:08:41 PM »
And so TTTT joins TPiR on the list of game shows that have been on the air in seven different decades.

jage

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 11:51:28 PM »
Is it just Jeopardy! with 6 decades, at least for another 4.5 years? Struggling to think of any others. Many more shows with 5.

gromit82

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 12:45:33 AM »
Is it just Jeopardy! with 6 decades, at least for another 4.5 years? Struggling to think of any others. Many more shows with 5.

The Newlywed Game has aired in 6 different decades, too.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 01:03:31 AM »

The Newlywed Game has aired in 6 different decades, too.
Let's Make a Deal slips in there too, thanks to the few weeks in 2003 and the last three months of 2009.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperSweeper

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 09:52:50 AM »
Has the story been removed?  The link goes to a blank page.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 10:25:49 AM »

"The catch this time is that the celebrity who is the worst at figuring out the identity will be facing a punishment."

Four words: Betty White Dunk Tank

"Extreme Truth"? Is there any reason for this "punishment" thing? Oy.
czambo@mac.com

BillCullen1

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 10:26:40 AM »
With this announcement, TTTT also now joins the list of game shows having aired on all of the "Big 3" networks.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 10:37:10 AM »
With this announcement, TTTT also now joins the list of game shows having aired on all of the "Big 3" networks.

And joins Phallic Pheud in the pantheon of contemporary game shows that have completely jumped the shark.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JMFabiano

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 11:54:37 AM »

And joins Phallic Pheud in the pantheon of contemporary game shows that have completely jumped the shark.

Before we've seen one episode? 

(I won't even get in the "but Feud is insanely popular now" argument.  So would that mean the penis jokes are to FF as Scrappy-Doo was to Scooby?  I.E something only hardcore fans will claim ruined the show, while in reality the show remained or got more popular?)   

Anyway, I will admit, the "punishment" thing did give me flashbacks of Double Whammies at first thought.  But we have no idea what this will be as it stands right now, so I am cautious but not in sky-is-falling mode yet. 

/If this was early 2000s, I'm sure punishment could have also been the rest of the panel deciding to vote off the "weakest link," as it were, of the four celebs. 
//Dramatic music and dark lighting too? 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 11:57:10 AM »
"Extreme Truth"? Is there any reason for this "punishment" thing? Oy.
You reminded me of something Travis said last December (emphasis added by me):

[Buzzr Password] reminds me of the most recent version of To Tell the Truth: we don't think the game is strong enough to stand on its own so we'll prop up the short leg of the couch with outrageous and tittilating stories. (I think this is one of those cases where we say that we're not the target audience and leave it be.)
In fairness, for all we know the "punishments" (since it's entirely possible all four panelists could fail) could be silly stuff, but it's a network primetime show so it probably won't be.

/calling a $1,000,000 top prize if the entire panel is fooled
//and padding
///and long drawn-out reveals
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 01:09:58 PM »
Blurred point of view: If sliming didn't really detract from Figure It Out, depending on the "punishment" in question, this might not detract from the game at hand. (I say "blurred" because I was part of the target audience when Figure It Out was on the air.)

Honestly, I'm happy that they've done this without finding some convoluted way to stuff ONE. MILLION. DOLLARS. in to the game.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 01:20:35 PM »

Before we've seen one episode? 
You say this like this forum hasn't prematurely reacted since when ATGS was actually good. Thing is, the reactions are usually right on target. Knowing Fremantle, they prolly are going to do some sort of physical stunt like dumping green slime or opening a trap door for the losing player. Of course we can wait until the episode airs, but from what's being presented, the reactions aren't unwarranted or unprecedented. That's not us being fanb0is, that's us asking why it's necessary.

(I won't even get in the "but Feud is insanely popular now" argument.  So would that mean the penis jokes are to FF as Scrappy-Doo was to Scooby?  I.E something only hardcore fans will claim ruined the show, while in reality the show remained or got more popular?)   
Apples and oranges, but it's more than just the hardcore fans who have complained about either one. Popularity doesn't mean it's good.

Anyway, I will admit, the "punishment" thing did give me flashbacks of Double Whammies at first thought.  But we have no idea what this will be as it stands right now, so I am cautious but not in sky-is-falling mode yet. 
Pointing out a dumb idea is not "sky is falling" mode. I'm not a purist; there are ways you can modernize TTTT and make it refreshing.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Fremantle does the exact opposite.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

pacdude

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 01:35:39 PM »
there are ways you can modernize TTTT and make it refreshing.

How so?