Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzr repeating already?  (Read 66866 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Re: Buzzr repeating already?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2015, 10:39:05 PM »
Wasn't Sajak on the last week of SP as well in 1989?
No...Betty White and Christopher Hewett were the guests.

In fact, Sajak wasn't doing any NBC shows by then (nighttime WoF doesn't count) having moved on to do his late-night show.  (Sajak's last SP appearance was in late 1988.)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

narzo

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2015, 05:02:23 PM »
they're repeating, again. 

dad1153

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2015, 07:21:21 AM »
How many times can Buzzr repeat the same handful of "Tattletales" episodes? They've been featured on two "Buzzr Time Machine" Saturdays in a row, and they've all run at least twice before on its regular weekday 10pm slot.  :(

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2015, 09:24:02 AM »
How many times can Buzzr repeat the same handful of "Tattletales" episodes? They've been featured on two "Buzzr Time Machine" Saturdays in a row, and they've all run at least twice before on its regular weekday 10pm slot.  :(

There's GOT to be something here that we're not seeing.  Some expense that doesn't immediately make sense.  Perhaps they're having to convert their episodes to yet another modern digital format instead of whatever they were converted to at the beginning of the GSN days.  While that would undoubtedly be easier that the original conversions from kinescopes and videotapes, there would still be a time and expense factor that an on-the-cheap network like Buzzr would have a hard time justifying if they've decided to roll out slowly.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2015, 08:14:43 PM »

There's GOT to be something here that we're not seeing.  Some expense that doesn't immediately make sense.  Perhaps they're having to convert their episodes to yet another modern digital format instead of whatever they were converted to at the beginning of the GSN days.  While that would undoubtedly be easier that the original conversions from kinescopes and videotapes, there would still be a time and expense factor that an on-the-cheap network like Buzzr would have a hard time justifying if they've decided to roll out slowly.

Most of the episodes were transferred/copied over to Digital Betacam (DigiBeta) prior to the runup for GSN.  With the advent of digital storage and digital broadcasting, even at the professional level, I could easily see there being a push/need to move to purely digital on Buzzr's side prior to transmitting their program feed.  GSN had a far more substantial runup to launch time in order to do conversions from the source formats, and as a full blown cable channel during the mid 90s cable boom, likely had a larger budget to prioritize conversion. 

With the channel still building a network of affiliates and functionally resembling more of a soft launch, I can see there being a decision made to run with a small sampling of episodes while everything is converted over and more stations are added.

Disclaimer: Everything save "GSN's format was DigiBeta for most of it's history" and "the gradual advent of digital storage" is speculation and basically just my best guess.  I have exactly zero *actual* idea what's going on.  Other disclaimer: Edited on November 2 to correct a typo.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:45:22 AM by Chelsea Thrasher »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2015, 12:57:54 PM »
Flint-Sag-BC doesn't have a BUZZR affil yet, so no repeats here so far.  I think the people who have it are watching voraciously, so they will notice repeats more.  The diginets we have are MeTV, CoziTV, Bounce, Grit and GetTV.  The only one I watch enough to notice repeats is GetTV, and I don't mind repeats too much.  BUZZR will be fresh to me if we get it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2015, 02:52:54 PM »
Flint-Sag-BC doesn't have a BUZZR affil yet, so no repeats here so far.  I think the people who have it are watching voraciously, so they will notice repeats more.  The diginets we have are MeTV, CoziTV, Bounce, Grit and GetTV. 

Late at night, I'm able to pick up Channel 5 and your Cosi programming.  Wish I could get it 24/7, but nobody in Lansing offers it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

narzo

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
and the reruns seem to be continuing for a second week

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 10:49:32 AM »
Flint-Sag-BC doesn't have a BUZZR affil yet, so no repeats here so far.  I think the people who have it are watching voraciously, so they will notice repeats more.  The diginets we have are MeTV, CoziTV, Bounce, Grit and GetTV. 

Late at night, I'm able to pick up Channel 5 and your Cosi programming.  Wish I could get it 24/7, but nobody in Lansing offers it.

It's a pretty good channel, they treat the shows with respect (end credits, distributor logos, etc.)  The show I like best is "The Name of the Game" because as a nine year old, I didn't quite appreciate the show. (except for the dynamite theme.)  Come August 1 they are adding "Baywatch" and "Simon and Simon" and a few others.

TimK2003

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2015, 12:25:35 PM »

It's a pretty good channel, they treat the shows with respect (end credits, distributor logos, etc.) 

And this is COZI you're talking about?  The network that cuts out the final closing credits and selected scenes to shows like The Dick Van Dyke Show and Here's Lucy among others just to make room for more commercials?  Even Me-TV treated Dick Van Dyke on the air with much more respect -- until the day the show suddenly disappeared from the network & website without a trace.

I've noticed a few edits to some of Me-TV's programs, but by and large, Me-TV will speed up the programs in full to fit the timeslots with the added commercial time, and just like GSN, they do a terrible job of speeding up and slowing down the shows while music tracks or show themes are being heard.  I still say it's not that hard to do the speed ups only in the numerous places in a show where there is only dialogue.

BrandonFG

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2015, 01:01:05 PM »
Yeah, Me-TV is pretty goofy with the speedups. Not egregious, but you can definitely tell the difference in tempo...the theme song goes from normal, to warp speed, then gradually back to normal.

I noticed Antenna TV now squeezes its credits during the daytime and overnight hours (the prime time shows are left untouched). There's been a bit of backlash on their Facebook page, to which they claim viewers wanted a "seamless transition" between shows. If you say so...sounds like they need more commercial time because they're not making any money off the umpteen ads for catheters, medical lawsuit settlements and the Cancer Center of America. When your biggest client is those idiotic Liberty Mutual commercials (see the Commercials I Hate thread), I'd say there's a problem. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2015, 01:03:42 PM »
On that subject... can anybody tell whether Buzzr has been using a speed-up device? For the most part, I haven't been able to detect anything -- maybe a couple of instances where the Family Feud music feels a little quicker than usual, but I can't tell whether that's because of Buzzr or because of unreliable playback equipment used in the original taping.

snowpeck

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2015, 03:47:10 PM »
On that subject... can anybody tell whether Buzzr has been using a speed-up device? For the most part, I haven't been able to detect anything -- maybe a couple of instances where the Family Feud music feels a little quicker than usual, but I can't tell whether that's because of Buzzr or because of unreliable playback equipment used in the original taping.
I haven't noticed any speed-ups in what I've seen from Buzzr. As a result, some commercial breaks feel really short in comparison to other networks. Definitely no complaints about that.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2015, 04:46:16 PM »

It's a pretty good channel, they treat the shows with respect (end credits, distributor logos, etc.) 

And this is COZI you're talking about?  The network that cuts out the final closing credits and selected scenes to shows like The Dick Van Dyke Show and Here's Lucy among others just to make room for more commercials?  Even Me-TV treated Dick Van Dyke on the air with much more respect -- until the day the show suddenly disappeared from the network & website without a trace.

I've noticed a few edits to some of Me-TV's programs, but by and large, Me-TV will speed up the programs in full to fit the timeslots with the added commercial time, and just like GSN, they do a terrible job of speeding up and slowing down the shows while music tracks or show themes are being heard.  I still say it's not that hard to do the speed ups only in the numerous places in a show where there is only dialogue.

Maybe I haven't watched as much as you have.  My observation was based on the shows I watch, like "The Danny Thomas Show," which had the closing credits right down to the modern-day SFM logo.  It may also depend on the time of day or the local affiliate whims.  I don't think our affil has started to sell local ads on it yet.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2015, 11:53:32 AM »

Also, from the few times I've seen COZI, it seems like the picture quality of their filmed shows is really poor (lots of dust marks--no remastering here).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)