Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Host styles - (Barker TPIR)  (Read 29180 times)

danderson

Re: Host styles - (Barker TPIR)
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »
the thing about Jack Barry was like when Hal shear was going for his 8th win Jack said  "Ladies and Gentlemen in the audience, please, very quiet" of course i have heard Dick Clark do that too and of course Pat Sajak and i remember a few times during Thom Mckee's run on TTD Wink said that too that made them very formal and i always liked that

Neumms

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2015, 12:54:44 PM »
I thought this was a promotion that was apart and separate from the show itself. Was it a prize on the board, or what? And wasn't it slightly different than the standard money volcano?

I always figured "The $100,000 Shower of Money" was a prize on the board. They wore a raincoat and stuffed the money into a little box if that's different.

I'm not wild about Dream Car Week on TPIR, but maybe that's something Wheel could use. Put a Lamborghini, a Rolls and three other cool cars on the bonus wheel. Or take the cash off the wheel and play for one, two or three cars. Or play for a house. Or a race horse. Or your own Caribbean island. They're not afraid to hand out money, but they do it in the least suspenseful, least exciting ways possible.

When the show started in prime access, it was a big deal when someone hit the $5000 space and picked a multiple letter. Despite increasing the stakes, they haven't topped that since. Maybe it's time the $10,000 space works as a regular space.

Winning $50,000 instead of $35,000 in the bonus, while it's nice for the contestant, adds nothing to the show. Instead of the million, they could give the $100,000 ten times more often.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:16:20 PM by Neumms »

BrandonFG

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2015, 01:43:29 PM »
When the show started in prime access, it was a big deal when someone hit the $5000 space and picked a multiple letter. Despite increasing the stakes, they haven't topped that since. Maybe it's time the $10,000 space works as a regular space.
I dunno...anytime Pat hits the $5,000 space on the Final Spin, it still allows for a chance for someone to comeback pretty easily. If someone has hit Bankrupt all game and is down by 20K, I'm not so sure I'd be as excited to see him or her make a magical comeback just because they manage to pull $22,000 (don't forget the $1,000 per letter bonus) off two Rs.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2015, 01:46:55 PM »
When the show started in prime access, it was a big deal when someone hit the $5000 space and picked a multiple letter. Despite increasing the stakes, they haven't topped that since.
Have they really increased the stakes, though? Seems more like they've just chopped down how many different values appear on the Wheel. The current layout's kinda boring, especially since vowels still cost $250.

As for your comments on the Bonus Round, I agree they should go back to the "variety of prizes" method they did through Season 18. This past season, it was kinda boring and dull seeing $32,000 pop up more than anything else on the Bonus Wheel (and probably more than all the other spaces put together, not sure on that).

[EDIT: Confirmed. $32,000 was hit 143 times this past season, with a win-loss record of 56-87.]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:03:34 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2015, 07:16:43 PM »
When the show started in prime access, it was a big deal when someone hit the $5000 space and picked a multiple letter. Despite increasing the stakes, they haven't topped that since.
Have they really increased the stakes, though? Seems more like they've just chopped down how many different values appear on the Wheel. The current layout's kinda boring, especially since vowels still cost $250.

Back then, the biggest thing on the wheel in Round One was $1,000.

Now, there's $2,500, a gift tag, a prize, a car, and ONE MILLION DAMN DOLLARS. 

Yeah, the stakes are a bit higher.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »
I feel like this is the same discussion we were having about Wheel this time last year...
This signature is currently under construction.

chrisholland03

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2015, 07:46:14 PM »
What comes around goes around...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2015, 10:50:32 PM »
I feel like this is the same discussion we were having about Wheel this time last year...
That's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm not wild about Dream Car Week on TPIR, but maybe that's something Wheel could use. Put a Lamborghini, a Rolls and three other cool cars on the bonus wheel. Or take the cash off the wheel and play for one, two or three cars. Or play for a house. Or a race horse. Or your own Caribbean island. They're not afraid to hand out money, but they do it in the least suspenseful, least exciting ways possible.

Winning $50,000 instead of $35,000 in the bonus, while it's nice for the contestant, adds nothing to the show. Instead of the million, they could give the $100,000 ten times more often.
This is almost an argument that the money is what makes the show good instead of the game. (One thing I noticed is that in the old days the money would build from round to round, so not only did the top dollar value increase as the show progressed, but the middling values did as well, which meant that the game was rarely locked away.)
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2015, 02:06:09 AM »

Inflation doesn't exist in a closed-market economy powered by Cyberial Dollars.

Have you ever considered that they want contestants to buy Lots-O-Vowels?

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2015, 02:24:03 AM »
Have you ever considered that they want contestants to buy Lots-O-Vowels?
I'm honestly not sure whether this is the case. It seems to be more sticking to tradition ("It's always been $250 for vowels!") than anything else, which if so is probably one of the few things I wouldn't cling to.

I do know that Lots-O-Vowels is liberally suggested by the Wheelmobile tryout people if you land on Free Play, for whatever that's worth.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2015, 12:44:09 PM »
I do know that Lots-O-Vowels is liberally suggested by the Wheelmobile tryout people if you land on Free Play, for whatever that's worth.

$250 fake dollars, apparently.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2015, 12:44:29 PM »

250 fake dollars, apparently.

danderson

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2015, 03:54:13 PM »
I know we are talking about host styles but announcer styles cant be excluded Johnny Olsen for example fit TPIR perfectly but Rod was great at that too(Johnny was great at saying "Come On Down!" or "A New Car!" but Rod was great at saying those phrases too) I would add Jack Clark on Wheel as well- he fit the shopping era too id add Jay Stewart on LMAD- like Price it was copy heavy but Jay was great at that kind of show

clemon79

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2015, 01:38:31 AM »
but announcer styles cant be excluded

Since this thread is about host styles, yeah, they can be.

What you're doing is called "thread hijacking" and annoys people even more than you already are.