Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Host styles - (Barker TPIR)  (Read 29193 times)

Kevin Prather

Re: Host styles - (Barker TPIR)
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2015, 06:07:25 PM »
My take on that era was it was their attempt (see: Nancy Jones, et al) to update the show, much the way Harry Friedman did later with the mystery round and whatever else. Rather than figuring out to write puzzles with less frequent letters for the bonus, they decided to just go with super short puzzles. Instead of coming up with a concept that weaves into the game, we got Charlie's awkward $1,000 question, and the not-well-thought-out Megaword. This is purely my conjecture, but it's another possible explanation why things were changing.

All good points. I do, however, notice a drastic improvement in the quality of play right around this time. Players seemed really good at puzzle management, and it wasn't too uncommon for players to rack up $12-17,000 in a round without the help of the gimmicky spaces we have now.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 07:09:40 PM »
My take on that era was it was their attempt (see: Nancy Jones, et al) to update the show, much the way Harry Friedman did later with the mystery round and whatever else.
Season 12 in particular doesn't seem to have been so much "updating" Wheel as it was raising the difficulty somewhat. As Kevin noted above, players were really good at racking up big hauls, which seems to have been the case for pretty much all of the show's six years at Television City.

Rather than figuring out to write puzzles with less frequent letters for the bonus, they decided to just go with super short puzzles.
In fairness to Nancy et al, the super-short puzzles made leaps and bounds more sense than Harry's "add an obscure adjective" hard bonus puzzles do these days.

Instead of coming up with a concept that weaves into the game, we got Charlie's awkward $1,000 question, and the not-well-thought-out Megaword.
I'll agree with you on the latter (Pat near-endlessly snarking about it even on episodes where it wasn't used is gold), but I thought the former was a good way to have Charlie be a bit more involved with the gameplay itself. Even then, I suspect Megaword might have been a mandated addition, since I don't think it would've lasted six-and-a-half months otherwise.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

danderson

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 10:29:13 PM »
what i liked about the shopping format is you got to hear Jack Clark a lot(and this was on both daytime and nighttime, i watched daytime Wheel over TPIR)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 11:09:47 PM »
I would hope that any members who've appeared on WoF figured I'm writing in a very broad sense as a TV viewer who knows none of them personally. If any feel smeared, my sincere apologies. I envy you.
My point there was to say that every contestant is someone's mom, dad, son or daughter, whether we like them or not, and just because they're dull to someone doesn't mean they're dull.

On the scale you suggest, I'd put current WoF contestants at about a three. Let's bump them to 7 and see how it works.

It's not strictly enthusiasm level, though. On the original WWTBAM, Regis was dealing largely with culled but randomly selected people from the phone. That was more interesting to me. They weren't kooks, but it was more natural, and Regis, to his credit, drew them out.
I would prefer the muted enthusiasm of the current crop of contestants to the shouting and carrying on that seemed to be the hallmark of ten years ago. (For reference, Catch 21, Lingo and Chain Reaction contestants are similarly irksome.) I'd also say that Doug van Gundy should be the patron saint of game show contestants but he's not dead yet.

Maybe Wheel promotes a week where they get contestants that way, maybe a local contest when they're on the road, say, in NYC. You play an online game well enough, you go into a drawing to win tickets. Win that, you show up, and they either pick from the crowd at random or screen them like TPIR. They get called onto the stage five minutes before cameras roll, set up the apple crates, let them spin a couple of times, then see what happens.
I've advocated for this too, specifically an audience draw once per road trip.

Plus we now have a floor for the winners of $10,000, and lots of times the winner more than doubles up after a bonus round victory. If contestants aren't going to scream and shout like it's Let's Make a Deal over winning $91,000 in the main game what can you do? Million Dollar victories get canned applause like it's a golf tournament. (Though on the other side of the coin, I would love to see waving around the prize wedges die in an inferno.)

Either that, or make changes to the show that actually add excitement. Yes, it's a pleasant show, but even Concentration, a pleasant show with organ music for heavens' sake, occasionally put winners in a glass box to lunge at paper money.
I thought this was a promotion that was apart and separate from the show itself. Was it a prize on the board, or what? And wasn't it slightly different than the standard money volcano?

Travis L. Eberle

Argo

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 11:36:02 PM »
Another host's style that changed noticeably and more so because of the show, was Alex Trebek. Growing up in the 80s-90s, I only saw him on Jeopardy and Classic Concentration. He was "slightly" more laid back on Concentration, however not as fun as the earlier shows he hosted that I never saw until youtube. It's too bad Jeopardy doesn't allow for as much fun as say High Rollers. Mind you, Concentration was a bit of a dull game too unfortunately for Narz and Trebek,

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2015, 04:59:38 AM »
Million Dollar victories get canned applause like it's a golf tournament.
Canned applause has been added for the past decade regardless of how well the Culver City audiences react, although from everything I've read they generally don't have too much to get excited over.

Nick

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2015, 05:28:51 AM »
Canned applause has been added for the past decade regardless of how well the Culver City audiences react, although from everything I've read they generally don't have too much to get excited over.

Maybe not, but when you've been to the show, you quickly realize just how frequently they call for applause during the show.  I can't blame people for getting tired arms quickly thus resulting in audience sweetening.  Far different from he days of yore where the audience wasn't asked to applaud during every spin.

However, one of the things that seems counter-intuitive is they specifically ask for no applause while the bonus wheel is spinning, so that applause you hear on the show is canned.  So... asking for no applause where they want it, so since they don't get it naturally they have to add it in.  That makes a lot of sense.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

cmjb13

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2015, 09:59:22 AM »
Having been to several Wheel road tapings, there's a reason that before the 1st show starts they do several minutes recording the audience applauding. It's because people leave throughout the shows and it's pretty empty before the tapings end. Matter of fact, they insert those panned audience shots into other tapings for the week. I know I spotted myself in the audience for a show I did not attend.

Not saying this happens everywhere they go, but it's happened twice for the recent NYC tapings (2007 & 2013). For the 2013 tapings in the Paramount theater, so many people were leaving in droves it caught me by surprise.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2015, 10:40:30 AM »
Having been to several Wheel road tapings, there's a reason that before the 1st show starts they do several minutes recording the audience applauding. It's because people leave throughout the shows and it's pretty empty before the tapings end. Matter of fact, they insert those panned audience shots into other tapings for the week. I know I spotted myself in the audience for a show I did not attend.

Not saying this happens everywhere they go, but it's happened twice for the recent NYC tapings (2007 & 2013). For the 2013 tapings in the Paramount theater, so many people were leaving in droves it caught me by surprise.
This was happening as early as 1997, applauding for several minutes, recording the audience applauding as filler, the whole 9 yards.  I saw myself in the audience of an Ohio State Fair episode which I didn't attend.

cmjb13

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2015, 10:47:48 AM »
I'm not sure if they started doing this as a precaution since day 1 or it took them a few road tapings to realize they needed to do this. Kudos to them either way.

Would their first road trip be considered the 1988 Radio City Music hall shows?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 11:08:35 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

BrandonFG

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2015, 01:14:46 PM »
I believe so. IIRC, it was either that or Seattle, but I really think it was NYC.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2015, 02:06:07 PM »
I'm not sure if they started doing this as a precaution since day 1 or it took them a few road tapings to realize they needed to do this. Kudos to them either way.
I think they realized they needed to do it during the Radio City Music Hall tapings. A couple of contemporary articles noted that less than half of the original audience was left by the time the tapings ended.

I believe so. IIRC, it was either that or Seattle, but I really think it was NYC.
Pretty sure Radio City Music Hall would be considered the first, yeah. The [City] Weeks done from about 1980-82 were only for location footage and contestants, and the Ohio State Fair shows of '83 were "unofficial" nighttime episodes that only aired locally and didn't use the Burbank set.

when you've been to the show, you quickly realize just how frequently they call for applause during the show. I can't blame people for getting tired arms quickly thus resulting in audience sweetening. Far different from he days of yore where the audience wasn't asked to applaud during every spin.
Yeah, and here's the weird thing -- the tapings ran much longer during the days of the trilon-based puzzle boards, and yet those seem to have more "lively" and genuine audiences than the ones since the '97 overhaul.

danderson

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2015, 05:25:55 PM »
sometimes one host does a better job than the other for example  i have seen both Wink Martindale and Patrick Wayne both host TTD at different times(Patrick both in orginal broadcast and on USA and Wink on GSN) and Wink was the best also his style fit the show better than Patrick i could say the same thing about Pat Finn and Jack Barry on TJW Jack Barry could be very formal and so could Pat Finn i thought their styles were different but they fit the show

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2015, 05:34:43 PM »
Their first trip to Seattle was in Fall 1995--they had done plenty of road trips before that.

*--went to some of the shows, was taking a particular class in sophomore year in HS that pinpoints it to that quarter.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
Their first trip to Seattle was in Fall 1995--they had done plenty of road trips before that.

*--went to some of the shows, was taking a particular class in sophomore year in HS that pinpoints it to that quarter.
Ah gotcha. Dunno why I thought it was far earlier.

/Still bummed I wasn't able to attend the taping when they came to Norfolk
//Also 1995, but that spring
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!