Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shop 'Til You Drop starting Wednesday, June 17th  (Read 15138 times)

gsfan85

Shop 'Til You Drop starting Wednesday, June 17th
« on: May 29, 2015, 12:36:32 PM »
Hey everyone,

Just an FYI, according to the PDF, Shop 'Til You Drop will air episode "301" on Wednesday June 17th.  Since "201-265" was the Family Channel's 2nd season, does anyone know what 301 might be?  Lifetime Season 3 maybe?

Next up would be the first PAX season from 2000, but those have already aired with a different episode numbering pattern.
Thoughts?

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Re: Shop 'Til You Drop starting Wednesday, June 17th
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 08:22:30 PM »
My first thought is that it's simply an error, and they meant to put "201", "202", and "203" instead.

Since "201-265" was the Family Channel's 2nd season,
Which in turn confirms that not only did Season 6 finish its 65-show order, but Seasons 1-5 had a total of 555 shows.

does anyone know what 301 might be? Lifetime Season 3 maybe?
I doubt the Family Channel era would've reused Lifetime-era production codes, but without any Lifetime-era slates around I can't say for sure.

Based on what we know about the run, if "301" (etc.) isn't an error it might be the 301st Lifetime episode, which would most likely be Season 3 (1993) or 4 (1993-94). I'm reasonably certain the 1991-94 run had over 400 episodes, in any case.

The only other thing that came to mind (and I freely admit this is extremely unlikely) was that The Family Channel or FOX Family commissioned another season, but quickly canned it.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 08:44:04 AM »
The only other thing that came to mind (and I freely admit this is extremely unlikely) was that The Family Channel or FOX Family commissioned another season, but quickly canned it.

Another possibility is that Pat Finn self-funded a season shot in an abandoned shopping mall near his home. 

I freely admit this is extremely unlikely.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 09:13:07 AM »
It would have never happened.  Once FOX acquired Family Channel, production on all game shows ceased immediately.  That's why Shopping Spree only had 24-ish episodes in its second season.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 12:40:45 PM »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 04:32:29 PM »
Once FOX acquired Family Channel, production on all game shows ceased immediately. That's why Shopping Spree only had 24-ish episodes in its second season.
That's what I thought, but wasn't 100% sure about. Thanks for clearing that up, Mike. :)

gamed121683

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 11:05:03 PM »
Didn't PAX air...I want to say it was the last Lifetime season of STYD once upon a time?

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 11:29:26 PM »
They did, from November 1999 through the end of March 2000, replacing repeats of the Family Channel era and in turn replaced by the PAX revival.

ivoryman1986

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 12:38:51 AM »
They did, from November 1999 through the end of March 2000, replacing repeats of the Family Channel era and in turn replaced by the PAX revival.
IIRC, PAX aired the Universal Studios Hollywood episodes of the Lifetime TV run, which was Season 4, so I think that's what we're gonna see come June 17 or the 3rd season which still used the College Mad House theme music.

chad1m

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 12:55:10 PM »
I'm not very familiar with the show pre-Dee, so this will be fun to watch. It already seems a lot less overproduced than the later years, like fewer instances of gratuitous canned applause throughout the playing of stunt games.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 12:59:28 PM »
I thought Pat and Mark L. Walberg had better chemistry and interaction...it seemed a little forced during the Dee years. Plus, I found Dee's grandmother "character" a little weird.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 11:13:40 PM »
I thought Pat and Mark L. Walberg had better chemistry and interaction...it seemed a little forced during the Dee years. Plus, I found Dee's grandmother "character" a little weird.
That's mighty generous of you, there, Lord Hyphen.

I've watched the repeats from the last couple of days and my opinion of the show has softened. Sure, it's a silly trifle (yesterday a guy in a bull helmet would "spear" two prices with his velcro horns and the distaff partner had to price the relevant item, as always needing three of five right to win the stunt) and the bonus game could be straight from the Barry-Enright stable but it accomplishes what it sets out to do. And while the 90 second quiz round was never a battle for mental giants it was exciting more than it wasn't, and Pat Finn paced the round perfectly, increasing the intensity as the time ticked away.

All up it wasn't as bad as the memories and memes made it out to be, but it also wasn't great shakes either. A fun and light half-hour to indulge in sometimes where people have fun and win stuff. These days I would love for game shows to aspire to that.
Travis L. Eberle

gsfan85

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 11:40:53 PM »
Looks like we won't see Lifetime Season 3 for long...looks like after 10 episodes it switches to the 1994 season (episode 4011), taped at Universal Studios Hollywood according to the PDFs.  This happens on Wednesday 7/1.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 02:37:10 AM »
That's mighty generous of you, there, Lord Hyphen.
A lot weird? ;-)

I've watched the repeats from the last couple of days and my opinion of the show has softened. Sure, it's a silly trifle (yesterday a guy in a bull helmet would "spear" two prices with his velcro horns and the distaff partner had to price the relevant item, as always needing three of five right to win the stunt) and the bonus game could be straight from the Barry-Enright stable but it accomplishes what it sets out to do. And while the 90 second quiz round was never a battle for mental giants it was exciting more than it wasn't, and Pat Finn paced the round perfectly, increasing the intensity as the time ticked away.

All up it wasn't as bad as the memories and memes made it out to be, but it also wasn't great shakes either. A fun and light half-hour to indulge in sometimes where people have fun and win stuff. These days I would love for game shows to aspire to that.
I haven't seen Shop Til You Drop in years, but I remember being particularly harsh on the show as a teen. If I watched it now, I'd prolly have a similar view as yours. Not Emmy-award winning television, but not horrible either, just a fun, cheesy game show that didn't take itself too seriously.

I dunno if that's because I feel shows like Deal or No Deal set an ugly precedent for the genre, or if I've just grown up. But, I will say, I do wish we could have more fun, cheesy game shows that don't take themselves too seriously. When I look at the current crop of shows, I'd like to think we're slowly returning to that. Celebrity Name Game is slowly winning me over, and I actually find myself watching Monopoly Millionaires Club pretty regularly. So, who knows?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chad1m

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 03:31:37 PM »
Looks like we won't see Lifetime Season 3 for long...looks like after 10 episodes it switches to the 1994 season (episode 4011), taped at Universal Studios Hollywood according to the PDFs.  This happens on Wednesday 7/1.
Well, it was, until Shop, Catch 21 and one Deal or No Deal got bumped off the schedule in favor of another Card Sharks episode, The $25,000 Pyramid and Whammy!.