Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 500 Questions  (Read 45251 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: 500 Questions
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2015, 01:08:16 PM »
Jeopardy in 9 hours has 1098 "answers" or "clues"

*And* gives away more money, I think.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2015, 09:03:53 AM »
I think you're right. 500Q averaged about $25,000 per hour iirc.  If you include consolation money, Jeopardy beats that handily.

On a per match basis, though, I think they're comparable.  (Also per episode since it was 9 matches over 9 "episodes")
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2015, 12:43:56 PM »
On a per match basis, though, I think they're comparable.  (Also per episode since it was 9 matches over 9 "episodes")

...and both of those are completely moronic comparisons.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2015, 07:20:33 PM »

$225,000 for the series, so Joe's $25,000/hour is spot on. That's an average of $12,500 per half hour, whereas Jeopardy's winner usually comes in somewhere between $15-25,000. Plus every match is guaranteed a payout.

Bottom line, give me Jeopardy over 500Q any day.

Neumms

« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2015, 02:17:40 PM »

And theirs are cleverly, frequently amusingly written.

The biggest question...how did this make the air? If ABC is willing to try a hard quiz, why one with a stale look, unexciting stakes, dull play and a nonsensical title premise?

BrandonFG

« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »
The biggest question...how did this make the air? If ABC is willing to try a hard quiz, why one with a stale look, unexciting stakes, dull play and a nonsensical title premise?
Worse shows have made it to air. It's summer programming, and the powers that be decided that the chrome and big money hides the show's flaws. As such, beta testing seems to be an afterthought.

/Like 90% of the other prime time shows that have premiered over the last decade
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2015, 04:04:49 PM »
It's summer programming, and the powers that be decided that the chrome and big money hides the show's flaws.

Yes, but since it didn't have big money, the original question stands.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2015, 06:10:53 PM »
And it didn't have big money because it didn't have much of a prize budget.

If you're gonna have geniuses (their term) as contestants, you don't get to complain if somebody's winning "too much money" and ruins your "I expected a really high contestant turnover because more turnover = less money" mentality.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2015, 07:17:05 PM »
It's summer programming, and the powers that be decided that the chrome and big money hides the show's flaws.

Yes, but since it didn't have big money, the original question stands.
Okay, it's not big money by modern quiz show standards, but my point still stands. The producers played up the "tough trivia" and smart contestants, and hoped it would lead to larger paydays. With that and the flawed rules, they pretty much failed.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2015, 10:53:35 PM »
Okay, it's not big money by modern quiz show standards, but my point still stands. The producers played up the "tough trivia" and smart contestants, and hoped it would lead to larger paydays. With that and the flawed rules, they pretty much failed.

And the network takeaway won't be, "There needed to be a better game."  The network takeaway will be "Straight trivia games don't work."  And Sony will continue to laugh all the way to the bank.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2015, 11:02:04 PM »
The producers played up the "tough trivia" and smart contestants, and hoped it would lead to larger paydays.
I'm getting the impression that the paydays were already too large.
This signature is currently under construction.