Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 500 Questions  (Read 45274 times)

tvmitch

500 Questions
« on: May 20, 2015, 09:11:14 PM »
Okay, I'll start. No spoilers.

I like the game and the studio is wow but it's so slow. Richard Quest is really good. I do not care one iota about why the contestant decided to choose x over y. Ask the question already.

I think it would make a lot of sense that when the contestant chooses a category, they finish all 5 questions rapid fire. And the last question is special. That alone would double the questions asked in the show.
You should follow me on Twitter

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Re: 500 Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 09:46:27 PM »
Richard Quest is really good. I do not care one iota about why the contestant decided to choose x over y. Ask the question already.
Quest is fine, but it feels like he's shouting throughout the entire hour and trying to play "British quiz presenter" a little too hard. I mostly agree with "get to the damn point" but there are some things he pointed out that were neat and were worth emphasizing.  I fully agree with the pacing issue. If you choose a category, you should be committed either until you answer wrong or hit a special question. I don't think the # of questions would double, but I'm reasonably certain you would get to a more satisfying point in the game after night 1.

One thing I really appreciated was that either there were less post-production lines than the norm or they were just better executed.
This signature is currently under construction.

weaklink75

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:07:59 PM »
At the rate its going, they won't hit 500 by the time they're done...I'd tell them that there are 10 special questions in each block of 50- at least one category has no special questions, and no category has more than two.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:28:21 PM »
Is a grand prize mentioned for reaching the pinnacle? Is money stabilized if a contestant reaches a fifty-question plateau? How many questions were they able to play in the hour?

/only 497 to go.
Travis L. Eberle

colonial

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 08:01:44 AM »
Watched the premiere, and I thought it was a mixed bag.

WHAT I LIKED ...

-- Liked a majority of the questions.  Difficult, but not impossible (felt like an hour of DJ! and FJ! questions to me).  A few of the questions seemed designed to genuinely stump or trick the players and audience (the John Hughes "battle" and the first U.S. Landmarks question come to mind).

-- An impressive set, particularly the game board listing the categories.

-- Contestants were made to feel special and the reason to watch the game.  To Richard Quest's credit, he did what he could to make them the stars of the show. 

-- Loved the mini-games.  "Battle" was a fast-paced version of a TTD Red category or "The Rich/Money List" that worked due to the fact that it seemed to go quickly.  The "Top 10 Challenge" was a fun "quick recall" game that had the feeling of old-school quiz bowl bonus questions.

ON THE FENCE ...

-- Richard Quest has a commanding presence as host.  When he talks with that booming voice of his, you're bound to stop and listen to what he has to say.  But there were times he simply talked too much -- there's no need to ask the contestants why they went to a certain category, why they ignored a category, etc.  He also had a bit of a quirk whenever contestant took too much time searching for an answer.  Quest seemed to move his hands and limbs so much that I thought he needed to use the bathroom.  There's no need to be overexcited as the clock counts down.

Having dealt with Quest before, what you see on TV is what you get in real life.  He doesn't have an "off" button, so to say.  What makes Quest unique has won him his fair share of fans, but I can also see him alienating some viewers (the quirks I mentioned above).

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE ...

-- To be honest, I liked the concept of only rewarding money if the contestant answered correctly on the first try.  It's unique and challenges the contestants to prove they are geniuses.  But I can also see viewers being turned off by the concept.  Why are they not being rewarded for correct answers?

-- ABC should have put an explainer on how the game works on the show's website before it aired.  Mini-games popped up without explanation beforehand.   As mentioned above, some viewers would be confused as to why some right answers meant cash and others didn't.   At Question 25, Quest mentions to contestant Dan that if he gets it right, he takes home $5000 "no matter what."  How about explaining the milestone system online?  Are milestones awarded for every 25 questions?

-- Any potential grand prize was not mentioned during the premiere telecast.  Based on the early questions, you could win at least $500,000 (not including milestone bonuses) by answering all 500 questions on the first try.  But does the money change the further you go up the question stack?  Can you quit after certain milestones?  Again, an online explainer would have been extremely helpful. 

-- As mentioned previously, the game's pace needs to be quickened by, at the very least, cutting down on the banter.  J! can get through 61 questions in 30 minutes.  "Downfall" was able to get through 90-100 questions per show during its short run.  "The Chase" has at least 100 questions per episode.  Why can't "500 Questions" do the same?

Overall grade: C+

There is a lot of potential with this show.  It's a hard quiz that kept me entertained.  But it's bogged down by throwing too much at the viewer and expecting them to follow up.

JD

Fedya

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 08:36:21 AM »
"The Chase" has at least 100 questions per episode.  Why can't "500 Questions" do the same?

To be fair, on The Chase the object is to answer as many questions in a certain amount of time as possible.  On 500 Questions, you need only get it right within 10 seconds.  That should generally mean fewer questions on 500 Questions, although it shouldn't be as few as it was (38, IIRC).

I like the idea of going from one category to another rather than having to run the category in one go.  Since the point is to avoid three consecutive wrong answers, it seems there ought to be a strategy to space out the questions in your weakest category if you think you're going to get all of those wrong.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 10:17:53 AM »
What's the point of calling the show 500 Questions if they won't even ask that many over the course of the series?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 10:38:50 AM »
"367 Questions, More or Less" didn't look good on the logo.
czambo@mac.com

Clay Zambo

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 11:13:39 AM »
I like the simplicity of this game: "3 strikes and you're out." I like "only your first answer earns money, but any right answer keeps you in the game." I like the mini-games, which keep things fresh as the hour goes on.

What happens to the winner's money at the end of each set of 50, I'm not clear about. If a player *ever* finishes a game and starts another, will the next game be worth more?

I wish the pace were a little perkier. Is 5 seconds per question too short?

There's a disconnect between the VERY! DRAMATIC! SHOUTING! HOST! and the two guys playing the game, who are as relaxed as if they were playing Trivial Pursuit at home. Whether this is a feature or a bug I can't quite tell.

The set and graphics package are attractive enough.

I'm glad there's another quiz show on TV.
czambo@mac.com

Marc412

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 11:31:45 AM »
What happens to the winner's money at the end of each set of 50, I'm not clear about. If a player *ever* finishes a game and starts another, will the next game be worth more?
I guess we'll find out on tonight's episode.

TimK2003

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 11:41:38 AM »
-- Richard Quest has a commanding presence as host.  When he talks with that booming voice of his, you're bound to stop and listen to what he has to say...Quest seemed to move his hands and limbs so much that I thought he needed to use the bathroom.  There's no need to be overexcited as the clock counts down.

When I first saw Richard Quest I pictured  Robert Q. Lewis doing a Thomas Dolby impersonation ("She Blinded Me With Science").  And his "hurry up" hand motions to the contestant during the countdowns to me is a heck of a distraction.  I'd much rather have him say something like a calmer Richard Dawson "3 seconds..." reminder.

It didn't feel like it was overly post-produced, but like others have said, they really need to pick up the pace in order to hit Question #500 on the final show.

/Then again, Letterman's final show went 18 minutes over.
//Quest:  "Just a scheduling reminder, "Good Morning America" will be seen it's entirety immediately after tonight's final game..."

colonial

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 11:46:45 AM »
Ratings are in, and they are a little better than I expected ...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/05/21/tv-ratings-wednesday-modern-family-black-ish-finales-fall-to-series-lows-supernatural-finale-flat/406854/

No way it was going to beat the "Survivor" finale, but matching "MasterChef" in the demo was a surprise, since that series typically has strong demos.

JD

BillCullen1

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 11:52:39 AM »
I liked it. I think the pace is fine, but if it could move a little quicker, it wouldn't hurt. I'm allowing for explanations taking time on the first show. Host is a little over the top but tolerable. Contestants were good. I was rooting for the opponent, since I remember the game show he was previously on. .

The show is airing for TWO HOURS tonight (5.21).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 02:54:42 PM »
trying to play "British quiz presenter" a little too hard.
By doing what?
Travis L. Eberle

That Don Guy

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 04:27:21 PM »
The show is airing for TWO HOURS tonight (5.21).
Next Thursday (5/28) as well.  The show will not air new episodes on Saturday or Sunday.  This is how they are squeezing a "nine-day event" into seven days.