Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recycling set pieces  (Read 9892 times)

Adam Nedeff

Recycling set pieces
« on: June 26, 2003, 10:05:05 PM »
I was watching a \"Hot Potato\" tape in my collection the other day, and at one point the camera veered further to the left than normal and revealed a huge column of orange \"bricks\" and frames of lights to the left of the team podium. It looked rather familiar so I dug out another tape, and sure enough the same column appears behind the contestant podiums on the 1985 version of \"Break the Bank\" (which might make sense since Kline & Friends was a \"splinter\" group of B&E).
So, question 1, does anyone know if this really was the same set piece?
Question 2, what other game shows have recycled set pieces from other shows? (Other than Whammy!'s use of old Card Sharks pieces, which I already know about)

Kevin Prather

Recycling set pieces
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 10:20:48 PM »
hmm. not sure. all's i know is gs SFX are recycled all the time.

zachhoran

Recycling set pieces
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 10:36:04 PM »
Judging from the sets of Wordplay and Wink's Trivial Pursuit, both of which were co-produced by Fiedler/Berlin Productions, it seems as though both had a lot of yellow tile-like squares contained within them. Whether recycled or not is another story.

Brandon Brooks

Recycling set pieces
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 11:22:47 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 09:20 PM\'] hmm. not sure. all's i know is gs SFX are recycled all the time. [/quote]
 ... Which of course has nothing to do with the question.

Brandon Brooks

tvrandywest

Recycling set pieces
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 12:55:21 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 09:36 PM\'] Judging from the sets of Wordplay and Wink's Trivial Pursuit, both of which were co-produced by Fiedler/Berlin Productions, it seems as though both had a lot of yellow tile-like squares contained within them. Whether recycled or not is another story. [/quote]
 Do you mean TP, or rather the companion shows \"Boggle\", Jumble\", \"Shuffle\" which I remember as having designs much more geometric than TP. Scott Storey did all those sets, and the square tile look was evocative of the telephone touch pad that home viewers were to use for the playalong \"playbreaks\".

Similar, perhaps, to \"Wordplay\" and even moreso to \"Crosswits\", iirc. But they were not recycled set pieces.

After all, there are just so many classic geometric shapes. All the ones we learned in geometry class plus the TPIR \"daisy\" that I first remember on \"The Mike Douglas Show\" in the early 60s, pre-dating its use on \"Dating Game\" and others.

Randy
tvrandywest.com

BrandonFG

Recycling set pieces
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 10:49:33 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 11:55 PM\']
Do you mean TP, or rather the companion shows \"Boggle\", Jumble\", \"Shuffle\" which I remember as having designs much more geometric than TP. Scott Storey did all those sets, and the square tile look was evocative of the telephone touch pad that home viewers were to use for the playalong \"playbreaks\".[/quote]

Randy,

It's been 9 years, but the sets for Boggle, Jumble, and Shuffle looked almost identical.  I believe all three had tile backdrops, arranged at a simple right angle, with Boggle adding oversized tiles and a telephone keypad. Were those actually the same set/backdrop, with the podia and cameras put at different angles for each show?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 10:50:54 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvrandywest

Recycling set pieces
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 12:18:21 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 27 2003, 09:49 AM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 11:55 PM\']
Scott Storey did all those sets, and the square tile look was evocative of the telephone touch pad that home viewers were to use for the playalong \"playbreaks\".[/quote]
It's been 9 years, but the sets for Boggle, Jumble, and Shuffle looked almost identical.  I believe all three had tile backdrops, arranged at a simple right angle, with Boggle adding oversized tiles and a telephone keypad. Were those actually the same set/backdrop, with the podia and cameras put at different angles for each show? [/quote]
The sets for those 3 shows never existed simultaneously; we taped all of B, then moved on to S, and then all of J. The pieces were reused liberally in the creation of the next set(s), and we tried to change the \"look\" as much as possible within the confines of the cable budget. That included rearranging the studio so far as to shoot east to west on two shows, and west to east on the other.

I remember arriving on the first days of S and J with the feeling that while the sets looked completely different, there was also a strange deja vu about the whole thing. The best I can recall, the podia were re-dressed and the set pieces re-worked and re-lit with different colors to create as much of a new look as possible with 75% or so of the same set.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 12:20:21 PM by tvrandywest »

Jimmy Owen

Recycling set pieces
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2003, 12:34:37 PM »
Anybody ever notice the similarities in the blocking on \"Three on a Match\" and \"Winning Streak.\"
« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 12:35:57 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Adam Nedeff

Recycling set pieces
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2003, 05:19:02 PM »
Anybody ever notice the similarities in the blocking on \"Three on a Match\" and \"Winning Streak.\"

That's not what I meant. I don't mean similar-looking set pieces or similar designs, I mean actually physically taking a piece of the set from a cancelled game show and using that piece on the set of a new show. Because I swear to you that's what it looks like they did with the Hot Potato wall