Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting around Los Angeles  (Read 4718 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Getting around Los Angeles
« on: April 17, 2015, 01:25:20 PM »
I will soon be making my long-awaited trek to Los Angeles to view Price in person and hopefully a couple other shows as well.  For those who have made the trip before (or live out there), would I be better off using a taxicab/Uber to get around town, or renting a car?  I assume renting would be lower in cost, but not being familiar with L.A. puts me at somewhat of a disadvantage.

Also, are there any preferential places to stay near where these shows are filmed?  And any recommended attractions/must sees outside of the TV world.  Thanks in advance for any help. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:35:45 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BillCullen1

Re: Getting around Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 01:57:09 PM »
L.A. does have a subway and bus system (the RTD when I was out there). You might want to look into what the nearest subway stop is to 7800 Beverly Blvd. I remember there being affordable hotels and motels within walking distance. I don't remember the names.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 02:08:34 PM »
I don't know where you're coming from, but a taxi from Randy Amasia's place in North Hollywood to CBS cost $20 in 2001.  If you were to rent a car, parking at The Grove was $24 when Joe Van Ginkel and I went to the show last month.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 02:22:03 PM »
If you want to do it on a shoestring, and you're making TPIR the centerpiece, you could probably get by without a car and save a lot of money in rentals and parking.  Depends on how much else you want to do.  The Farmers Market is cool, and is right beside Television City.  TV City is also a mile or so from Museum Row, including the La Brea Tar Pits.  You're also not terribly far away (not on foot, but probably a bus) from Hollywood & Highland and all that tourist craziness.

Beyond that, though, if you really want to explore (for example, if you wanted to see the ocean), you're better off getting your own car.

(My wife and I go twice a year, and are quickly becoming professional tourists.)
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 04:50:50 PM »
L.A. does have a subway and bus system (the RTD when I was out there). You might want to look into what the nearest subway stop is to 7800 Beverly Blvd. I remember there being affordable hotels and motels within walking distance. I don't remember the names.
The nearest subway stop to CBS is still far enough away that he'd have to take a bus anyway (either the 780 or the 217). Depending on where Mark's hotel is, the Uber/public transportation thought might not be a bad idea.

thewhammy_2000

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 04:19:32 AM »
Being from Chicago, I used public transportation every time I went to L.A.. I shuttled from LAX to Aviation Blvd and took a long train ride with transfers to Beverly. I took one bus to TtC and my rooms. I recommend not having a lot of things on the local commutes. There's plenty to check out that may not require a car. There was pretty much an accident every day, especially on the freeways. Its almost like you're in a movie.

trainman

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 01:27:56 PM »
I shuttled from LAX to Aviation Blvd...

I think the best public transportation option to/from LAX is the FlyAway bus (routes go to Union Station downtown, Van Nuys, etc.). It costs more than the shuttle-bus-to-light-rail-station option, but I think it's worth it for the nonstop service and the more comfortable ride.
trainman is a man of trains

Nick

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 03:06:18 PM »
The three times I've trekked to LA, I just got around with the LA Metro transit system.  By far it'll be your most affordable option, though not necessarily your fastest moving.  If you're willing to sacrifice some time to save a lot of cash, getting from point A to B is no more difficult than just punching where you are and where you want to go in Google Maps to get the transit links that will get you there.

I did rent a car once in one of my trips.  I'm not sure what defines a cheap car rental in LA.  I rented one for a day with a hundred-mile limit that came to at the end of the day, gas included about $75.  If your intent is to travel in mostly urban areas instead of, say, out to Malibu, I'd go for public transit first.

As far as places to stay, while it may not be handy to anything aside from Hollywood Boulevard, I stayed at this hostel on my last trip and was reasonably pleased, considering I've stayed at others in the city that were not nearly as nice for not much more in savings.

Other things to see... I'd make an afternoon for a trip to the Paley Center in Beverly Hills, and if Martin's working the counter, make sure you let him know you're there to watch game shows.  He'll treat you like gold.  If you've got enough time left before you go, I'd highly recommend a day at the UCLA Film and Television Archive.  Watch disasters you'll see nowhere else like The Honeymoon Game and Duel in the Daytime, as well as gems including the third episode of The $10,000 Pyramid.  Most of the material has to be requested several weeks in advance, which is why I say "if you have enough time left before you go."

Other must sees and do... I can only think of food off the top of my head.  Don't skip In-N-Out Burger.  Pink's Hot Dogs on North La Brea are the best hot dogs I've ever had.  Oh, when you're done at TVC, head down Beverly Boulevard to El Coyote Mexican Cafe, rightly recommended by Roger Dobkowitz himself (no doubt in part because of their Margarita Mondays).
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

DJDustman

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 04:44:30 PM »
Uber it up. Stay at the Beverly Inn. I did a taping back in January. You'll avoid the headaches of getting your rental car towed for parking in the wrong area :P.

William A. Padron

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 04:35:27 PM »
The nearest subway stop to CBS is still far enough away that he'd have to take a bus anyway (either the 780 or the 217). Depending on where Mark's hotel is, the Uber/public transportation thought might not be a bad idea.

Operated by Metro Los Angeles (the LACMTA), the 217 runs on a 24/7 schedule providing local service, with late night "owl" service merging with the 2.  The 780 operates with limited stops on weekdays only, with no weekend and holiday service.

The nearest subway stop, connecting with the 217 and 780, is at the Hollywood/Highland station.  You can also depart from the Western/Beverly station and make connections with the 14, but that is a longer bus ride, in terms of distance instead.
[Take The "A" Train]

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 11:47:24 AM »
If you want to do it on a shoestring, and you're making TPIR the centerpiece, you could probably get by without a car and save a lot of money in rentals and parking.

I second this. Buses all the way. That's how I did it in 2007.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com