Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy On-Line Test  (Read 14983 times)

TimK2003

Re: Jeopardy On-Line Test
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 02:50:43 PM »
Here's a question from another angle:  You apply to take the Sports J! test.   You mistakenly are administered a regular J! test instead.  You take the regular test nonetheless and are confident that you did well enough on the test that you should be in their upper nth percentile for consideration to take the next step.

If you were on J!'s payroll, would you:

a) Accept the test, and offer the next audition step for only the regular show, as that is what show the test was for?
b) Accept the test, and offer a choice to the potential contestant to take the next audition step for either Sports J! or regular J! or both?
c) Declare the test null and void even though they scored high enough to qualify fot the next audition level?

Denials

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 03:04:37 PM »
(a) probably doesn't make sense because the next step in the process isn't synced up with where the show's production staff is.  In other words, if there are no upcoming in-person auditions, there is no next step to schedule the person for.  The regular J! online tests were months ago so that process may have run its course already.  My own in-person J! interview was around Memorial Day a few years ago, so that time may have passed.

(b) doesn't make sense to me from a production standpoint - the regular J! option for the reasons discussed above and the Sports J! option because, as of yet, the prospective contestant hasn't demonstrated any actual ability in Sports trivia.

So that leaves us with (c), or as others have suggested, an option (d) - offer them the Sports J! test.  But as others have said, there may be fairness questions there if you can't tell who got mixed up (although I would think that whatever system they use to process the results would make it fairly obvious) and would potentially be offering some people two shots where most people only got one.  We also don't know how much it would cost.

I agree with those who have stated that the show has no requirement or obligation to offer a make up test.  Sometimes things just happen.  Kind of like the disclaimer on slot machines "malfunction voids payout."  Even though you might be staring at 3 flaming 7s, if it's because the machine screwed up, you aren't going to get the jackpot.

colonial

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 05:43:05 PM »
Just got an email from J! 

There will be a makeup Sports J! test on June 3 at 10pm ET.

Not sure if this exclusive to those who had glitches.

JD

Prizes

• Both a miner and a hoe
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 06:25:39 PM »
Not sure if this exclusive to those who had glitches.

It isn't. As the email said, it's for anyone who had already registered, but didn't get to take the sports test, including those who took no test, regardless of reason, such as forgetfulness. Fortunate and thankful for this second chance on a personal level, as everyone and everything (doctor appointment, shuttle) was running late for me that day, so I wasn't able to take it.

Nice bone by Sony, and its wider than expected reach was unexpected, as they really did not need to extend this far out.
Owner of WOF fan site buyavowel.boards.net
Didn't like scuba diving school. Too many fights.
~Jessica Brand

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2015, 07:55:22 PM »
Well, props to them for doing the right thing.

Although I kinda have to scratch my head about everyone who didn't get the chance to take the test getting the shot. The wrong test people and the ones who couldn't get into the page (it took me a few tries myself, I know the pain), okay...but if you forgot about it, that's your own fault. Then again, I can see why they'd do that.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2015, 01:19:34 AM »
So it sounds like anyone who registered but did not post a plausible test score can do this, confirming that they don't have a really good way of telling exactly who got the wrong test.

They certainly didn't have to do that, but props to them for doing so.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2015, 02:57:18 AM »
So it sounds like anyone who registered but did not post a plausible test score can do this, confirming that they don't have a really good way of telling exactly who got the wrong test.

You had to log into the site, and once you completed the test you received an email confirming this. No real loophole for the people who might have thought they did badly to get a second chance.

I don't doubt that they're gonna have trouble finding out who had the issue, but there were a lot of people that posted the complaints on the Facebook page and they provided an email to contact them with the info...maybe it won't be everyone, but I'm sure they found a lot of those people through those methods.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2015, 11:43:52 AM »
No real loophole for the people who might have thought they did badly to get a second chance.

No, I agree, but as you said, it re-opens the door to those who bailed on the test through no fault of the J! people. Which doesn't bother me but I can see where it might tweak some people.

At any rate, it sounds like this was the best solution available to them given technical restraints, and it comes awful close to hitting the exact target audience without giving anyone who took the correct test a second chance. So all props to them and I'm glad it worked out.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2015, 05:43:43 AM »
The only change I hope they made was to offer a different test...which, in reality, is the best way to go about fixing what they broke (because they posted the questions on FB like they did with the online tests...don't know if I mentioned it or not)