Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC summer sched- "500 Questions", "Battlebots", "Celebrity Family Feud"..  (Read 25032 times)

Matt Ottinger

Well, there you are then.  I'm personally not as interested in that as in seeing, say, the cast of Modern Family doing battle with the cast of The Middle, and I'm a little surprised that ABC doesn't share my position.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Thunder

It was painful to watch Rickety Cricket Ed McMahon having to do a faceoff round in Al Roker's version. It was also painful to watch Jim Backus play in the "Gilligan's Island" celebrity edition from a long time ago.

BrandonFG

It was painful to watch Rickety Cricket Ed McMahon having to do a faceoff round in Al Roker's version. It was also painful to watch Jim Backus play in the "Gilligan's Island" celebrity edition from a long time ago.
I think the supporting supporting cast of My Name is Earl (the quirky characters who only showed up every once in a while) was the lowest point of the Roker version. From what I remember, they actually played as their show characters and didn't really care about the game.

/There was also a "name another word for throw up" question that made me shake my head
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Toheckwiththis

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the top prize is going to be on "500 questions"?(If the questions are as hard as they're making it sound like they're going to be, i'm assuming it's going to be really huge.)

colonial

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the top prize is going to be on "500 questions"?(If the questions are as hard as they're making it sound like they're going to be, i'm assuming it's going to be really huge.)

As I mentioned previously, a casting coordinator mentioned to me during one interview that the top prize would be "the biggest in TV history", but neither she nor anyone else mentioned this again, and I didn't bring it up with them.

Someone who auditioned in person as part of the final round of auditions in Los Angeles discussed the "final round format" used on a J! message board.  According to her ...

-- Each contestant gets 10 categories, five questions per category
-- You keep answering until you get three consecutive questions wrong and are eliminated, all of the questions are answered or the time runs out (a promo that aired during "Shark Tank" showed 10 minutes on a player's clock, but it's unclear if that's the time you get).
-- There's a time limit on each question (she suggested 10-15 seconds per question).  During that time, you can "blitz" the host with as many answers as possible until you get the right answer or time runs out.  The more answers you blurt out before you get the right one, the less money you put in your bank. (*)
-- Once you are eliminated, the next contestant comes out and takes your place.  However, there are situations where two contestants are on stage to play at the same time.
       -- Situation #1 was a variation of one of the TTD "Red" categories or "The Rich/Money List": The two contestants are given a question where there are multiple answers ("Name all of Bruce Springsteen's U.S. Billboard Top 40 hits.").  Players go back-and-forth until someone misses.
       -- Situation #2 involves the two contestants playing together to answer parts of the same question.

Again, I have no idea if this is all in the final product.  Just sharing what I've found out.

JD

(*) -- The "blitz" rule was explained to me during the auditions from the start but, to be honest, I couldn't get the hang of it.  I'm so used  to quiz bowl and other game shows where you don't blurt out answers for fear the host/moderator will accept them.

pacdude

As I mentioned previously, a casting coordinator mentioned to me during one interview that the top prize would be "the biggest in TV history", but neither she nor anyone else mentioned this again, and I didn't bring it up with them.

Someone who auditioned in person as part of the final round of auditions in Los Angeles discussed the "final round format" used on a J! message board.  According to her ...

-- Each contestant gets 10 categories, five questions per category
-- You keep answering until you get three consecutive questions wrong and are eliminated, all of the questions are answered or the time runs out (a promo that aired during "Shark Tank" showed 10 minutes on a player's clock, but it's unclear if that's the time you get).
-- There's a time limit on each question (she suggested 10-15 seconds per question).  During that time, you can "blitz" the host with as many answers as possible until you get the right answer or time runs out.  The more answers you blurt out before you get the right one, the less money you put in your bank. (*)
-- Once you are eliminated, the next contestant comes out and takes your place.  However, there are situations where two contestants are on stage to play at the same time.
       -- Situation #1 was a variation of one of the TTD "Red" categories or "The Rich/Money List": The two contestants are given a question where there are multiple answers ("Name all of Bruce Springsteen's U.S. Billboard Top 40 hits.").  Players go back-and-forth until someone misses.
       -- Situation #2 involves the two contestants playing together to answer parts of the same question.

Again, I have no idea if this is all in the final product.  Just sharing what I've found out.

JD

(*) -- The "blitz" rule was explained to me during the auditions from the start but, to be honest, I couldn't get the hang of it.  I'm so used  to quiz bowl and other game shows where you don't blurt out answers for fear the host/moderator will accept them.

They mentioned the Blitz rule during the auditions. You basically keep talking and giving answers and if you spurt out the right answer, it counts.

tvmitch

They mentioned the Blitz rule during the auditions. You basically keep talking and giving answers and if you spurt out the right answer, it counts.
"The Vault," then.

/100% less Davina
You should follow me on Twitter

goongas

I don't know the exact money, but I have heard it is not that much for a primetime show.

weaklink75

A bit more info from this article...

http://variety.com/2015/tv/global/mip-tv-broadcasters-have-500-questions-on-their-mind-1201472801/

-It's 10 seconds per question (so I'm guessing the 10:00 in the promo meant 10 seconds)

-they have to get through 50 questions to win money

-Mark Burnett looks awful in that beard

SuperSweeper

-Mark Burnett looks awful in that beard

You'll see him as a contestant on the next season of Survivor...

colonial

Thunder

Host for "500 Questions" will be CNN Biz anchor Richard Quest.

Great hire - he's very witty and smart.

And as my wife reminded me, he exhibited signs of some kind of mood-altering substance on CNN's New Year's Eve show. :D

Matt Ottinger

Host for "500 Questions" will be CNN Biz anchor Richard Quest.

He's probably terrific, especially to have gotten the nod over better-known candidates.  One could argue that Regis was a huge part of the lightning-in-a-bottle when the original Millionaire came down all those years ago, and it surprises me a little that ABC wants to make this an "event" yet chose to go with someone essentially unknown.  Especially when there's another more famous anchor in the CNN family who's made no secret of his desire to host an intellectually engaging game show.

Kniwt

Especially when there's another more famous anchor in the CNN family who's made no secret of his desire to host an intellectually engaging game show.

Matt Ottinger

Especially when there's another more famous anchor in the CNN family who's made no secret of his desire to host an intellectually engaging game show.

<win>