Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC summer sched- "500 Questions", "Battlebots", "Celebrity Family Feud"..  (Read 25028 times)

weaklink75

500 Questions is doing the Old School Millionaire-type of scheduling; 9 shows in 9 nights; Steve Harvey will do this go-round of Celeb Feud...

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2015/04/08/abc-announces-its-2015-summer-schedule-125415/20150408abc03/

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Wonder if, since it says Celeb Feud is gonna tape in LA, that the big show itself is gonna be headed back there.

500 Questions certainly will be worth at least one watch...I wonder how they're going to pull off casting.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"Created by Mike Darnell and Mark Burnett" does not fill me with excitement or confidence, though I like the conceit of "you stay until you get three wrong consecutively." Like you said, worth a watch.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

I'm wondering if Celebrity Feud being in LA is because ABC either wants a) a more high profile location for a prime time version, or b) to tape it on (or near) its lot, allowing them more control over production?

Any idea on what studio shows like Shark Tank shoot?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
The interesting thing here is that Feud will return to ABC exactly 30 years and one week since the end of the Dawson run on ABC (6/14/85).

I was shocked when I read the press release after in hit my inbox here at work earlier today.  Now I am intrigued to see what they do with it.

/Hoping for some celebs I've heard of
//Not holding my breath

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Any idea on what studio shows like Shark Tank shoot?

I think Shark Tank is shot on the Sony lot in Culver City.

/Wonder what's going on at Prospect these days other than GH and Grey's...

colonial

PYLDude writes ...

500 Questions certainly will be worth at least one watch...I wonder how they're going to pull off casting.

The show was filmed a few weeks ago, and the first ad apparently aired on Sunday during ABC's airing of "The Ten Commandments."  Expect some familiar names from the world of game shows in the contestant pool.

Casting was national in scope, with auditions in SoCal and Skype auditions for everyone else.  For the record, I was contacted by the show in December and went through 4-5 rounds of phone and Skype auditions -- 100 trivia questions and a 60+ minute interview in total.  Can't go into specifics about the questions, but they were the most difficult I've ever encountered in auditioning. 

I dealt with two casting directors during my Skype chats (both previously worked on "Let's Ask America").  Both emphasized the "three straight wrong answers and you're out" rule, and one noted that the show was going to be "Jeopardy times 10" in terms of difficulty, and that they were looking for the "best of the best."  They were also asking auditioners for the names of other potential contestants (particularly women, as they said very few were auditioning when the contestant search began).  Despite the difficulty, everyone on the casting side was friendly and professional, and were very patient with me, as I was dealing with a layoff and a new job during the whole process.

I did not qualify for the final round of auditions, which reportedly involved out-of-town contestants being flown to LA on ABC's dime to meet with Burnett, Darnell, and others.  Given the host, I can dream that I'm ineligible because the two of us are co-workers, but I think it's more likely that I simply didn't make the cut :)

JD

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
James, you'd probably know this better than the blurb we got: is the idea really "answer 500 questions/reach the finish line" to win? Because I figure they can only ask a few thousand questions over the course of nine hours anyway, which means either not that many contestants, lots of editing as in Million Second Quiz, or that there are 500 queries over the course of competition and whoever gets farthest along will win.

Do you know what's at stake, for that matter?
Travis L. Eberle

colonial

James, you'd probably know this better than the blurb we got: is the idea really "answer 500 questions/reach the finish line" to win? Because I figure they can only ask a few thousand questions over the course of nine hours anyway, which means either not that many contestants, lots of editing as in Million Second Quiz, or that there are 500 queries over the course of competition and whoever gets farthest along will win.

Do you know what's at stake, for that matter?

To be honest, I'm not sure on the former.  All I was told was that contestants would possibly answer "hundreds of questions" in order to win it all.  During the process, the casting coordinators kept referring to the series as "The ABC Trivia Game Show", so I was under the presumption that, at the very least, a title change was being considered.

The coordinators also mentioned at least twice that the format of the show was "being worked on" and "tweaked", but emphasized, like the press release, that it was just you answering the questions -- no lifelines, no phoning friends, etc (Having mentioned WWTBAM in my interview, they found their opening to let me know we'll find none of those traits on this show).  If I had any idea on a format from such a vague description, I was thinking a variation of Britain's "Fifteen to One", where contestants are knocked out for getting two answers wrong.

As far as the top prize, one coordinator said contestants would compete for "the biggest prize in game show history", but I didn't bite on that and it was never discussed again.  It's the only time I've heard that mentioned (when I Skype interviewed for MSQ, the coordinator dropped "the biggest prize" phrase about 5-6 times).

The only complaint I would have about the interview process was a request the coordinator gave to most, if not all, applicants.  When they asked a question, I was asked to phrase my answer in a specific way.  For instance, if they asked "When did you find out about your trivia prowess?," I would have to answer "I found out about my trivia prowess ... "   It felt less like an interview and more like a sixth-grade language arts class.

Also, regarding a question PYLDude had about FF ... audience tickets for the next season of civilian FF are scheduled to be available next month, and the show is saying that it will tape next season at the Atlanta Civic Center.   There have been reports over the past several months that the Civic Center will be heavily renovated/torn down/shut down, etc. (it's an aging structure in a slightly questionable neighborhood), but it will be open for tapings this summer.

JD

Fedya

I'd have guessed Celebrity Family Feud is taping in LA because that's where most of the celebrity families are.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Jeremy Nelson

/Hoping for some celebs I've heard of
//Not holding my breath

Considering the popularity of the show now (compared to '08), I would think there'd be a lot more interest from celebrity families to sign up. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get some decent names for this go-round.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

aaron sica

Considering the popularity of the show now (compared to '08), I would think there'd be a lot more interest from celebrity families to sign up. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get some decent names for this go-round.

Agreed.  Like him or not, Steve Harvey helped put Feud on the map more than it already was, even if the content of the questions and answers took a dive from what some of us were used to with the older versions. I could see this becoming a regular summer thing.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:16:28 AM by aaron sica »

tvwxman

Host for "500 Questions" will be CNN Biz anchor Richard Quest.

Great hire - he's very witty and smart.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Matt Ottinger

I haven't read the press releases.  Do we know for certain at this point whether it's going to be the families of celebrities playing the game as opposed to the all-star editions they did way back in the day?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

colonial

From Futon Critic, which is pretty much a clearinghouse for network press releases ...

"Celebrity Family Feud," a primetime celebrity version of "Family Feud," is based on one of television's most popular and enduring game show formats. The six-episode special series will feature fan-favorite celebrities competing with their families for charity on the famous stage of "Family Feud."

JD