Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC game shows?  (Read 10582 times)

PeterMarshallFan

ABC game shows?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2003, 12:32:45 PM »
Did Jim Lange's NNG from '84 tape in any of the ABC studios?

bricon

ABC game shows?
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2003, 03:01:52 PM »
Isn't (or wasn't) Sunset-Gower an ABC facility?

Not technically.  ABC rented out several stages used for various
sitcoms, and also General Hospital.  Though they were exclusive
to ABC's use and those shows did, to the best of my memory,
say ABC TV Center in the credits.  NBC also rented space for
Days Of Our Lives for several years.

WWTBAM tapes in the same building that Regis & Kelly tapes

TV-1/TV-2 are actually in a separate building from TV-14, which is used
for Regis/Kelly.  The main TV center goes back many years, as a stable,
before ABC moved in.  WABC's building (TV-14) was built in the early
1980's.

Per a ticket I have for that week of shows, yes it did.

And, at least one week of the ABC Dating Game episodes were taped
in New York, around 1972-ish.  I don't know if these episodes are
identified as such in the credits, or content.

Brian
(who now thinks he spent *way* too much time wandering through
various studios in the 1970's)

uncamark

ABC game shows?
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2003, 03:10:48 PM »
As far as network shows go, it may be easier to point out what ABC shows did NOT tape at one of their facilities (in NY or L.A.).  For syndies, aside from the aforementioned second season of Davidson HSq, POP & ROCKER, DGUSA, my supposition of TREASURE HUNT (70s) and a few seasons of LC, I'm hard-pressed to think of another.  For some reason, Jim Lange's TRIPLE THREAT springs to mind but I'm not sure about that one.

I believe that \"Triple Threat\" was shot at the Aquarius Theatre in Hollywood, where \"Star Search\" from the same syndicator was taped at the same time.  It's now known as Nickelodeon on Sunset--\"The Amanda Show,\" \"All That\" and sister channel TNN's \"Conspiracy Zone with Kevin Nealon\" are/were taped there, among others.

MyCapableAssistant

ABC game shows?
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2003, 03:16:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 27 2003, 01:52 AM\']
... It's the game of love....with Chuck hosting and Rod Roddy, Gene Wood and Burt Luddin announcing. There are fee plugs and a studio audience...[/quote]

Oh.. Ok. When you mention THAT, I can see how it's considered a "game show," although I really can't...

The game portion is this, the audience is given an opportunity to vote for one of three possible dates.

Ok.. 'THE AUDIENCE' as in STUDIO audience..
Perhaps that's why I don't associate it with being a game show?

Game shows that I usually watch have a portion in which some element of
knowledge is required, via: questions, quizzes, or "pick an answer," - even if it's a multiple choice or yes or no type thing. -  As much as many of you folks have criticized Peter Tomarken's version of "Press Your Luck" saying that it's a game of PURE "luck," while that statement is somewhat true, you haveta keep in mind that the players wouldn't have as much
"luck" turned MORE spins if they didn't answer the questions correctly FIRST... so actually, the way "I" see it is, PYL is NOT so much based on "luck," its pre requisite is "knowledge..." Luck enters into the game when you decide what you DO with your knowledge; or, spins -- pass 'em or take 'em...?  You do kinda haveta know.. something! Now, Whammy... In the first round.. the money/bank is GIVEN to you... that's one aspect of the show I wish was different, although I am sure it is just ME  ;-)

"Love Connection" on the other hand, or even "The Dating Game" I do not see as a "game show" aside from the announcers, fee plugs, and host.. It hardly compares to the format of a Clark "Pyramid," COMBS "Feud," Ludden "Password," etc., etc., etc. (In these few examples I cited, the audience "at home" can play along answering questions, and there are MANY other shows that have the same format: play along at home). I see NO part of "Love Connection" where the "at home" audience can play along, nor do I see any part of the show where the contestant HAS to know something.. to win something! I think THIS game is PURE LUCK, basically the way I see it is, "Love Connection" is idle chit chat with contestants about a previous date. I don't see any element of knowledge in that game, is there? Even Eubanks' "Newlywed Game"(I like the host, but have no interest in his game show!) is a game where you HAVE to answer a question correctly FIRST to get points.. which ultimately determines the winner.  

Isn't "Love Connection" more/less like watching a "soap opera" in the fact that there is NO knowledge
needed to participate?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 11:06:27 AM by MyCapableAssistant »

Jimmy Owen

ABC game shows?
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2003, 04:34:25 PM »
I think you will find many people who do not consider \"Love Connection\" a game show, maybe it would be better considered a discussion show with door prizes. There are a couple of other shows that don't require any knowledge on the part of the contestant. The Barris \"Treasure Hunt\" and \"Truth or Consequences,\" come to mind.  Hope this isn't getting off topic too much.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
ABC game shows?
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2003, 05:20:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 27 2003, 01:34 PM\'] I think you will find many people who do not consider "Love Connection" a game show, maybe it would be better considered a discussion show with door prizes. [/quote]
 I think the whole \"Love Connection\" debate can be solved by answering one question:

Would GSN even CONSIDER running it if Chuck Woolery were not the host? Say a non-GS personality were in there, like, oh, Jenny Jones.

Answer: Hell no, they wouldn't.

I rest my case.

ObZach: Jenny Jones is no more a game show personality than Kirstie Alley or Kathy Najimy, so don't bother.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Winkfan

ABC game shows?
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2003, 08:39:52 PM »
NTT '84 taped at the KTLA (Channel 5) studios. And I ought to know!

WHOOPS! I thought those initials read Name That Tune '84!

Scrubbing the egg off of my face,
Tammy Warner--the 'Kathy Mitchell of GS websites!'
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 04:04:12 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
ABC game shows?
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2003, 10:14:56 PM »
The Aquarius Theater was also home to Fox's ill-fated late-night talk show with Chevy Chase. More to the point of game shows, I believe it also had Queen for A Day back when it was the Moulin Rouge nightclub.

In addition to Treasure Hunt, I seem to recall that the Burbank Studios (Warner Bros.) were also home to the ABC version of You Don't Say.

Now: did ABC prospect also have Dick Clark's The Object Is? And perhaps Jack Linkletter's The Rebus Game?

(Too lazy to get the EOTGS.)

bricon

ABC game shows?
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2003, 10:24:12 PM »
In addition to Treasure Hunt, I seem to recall that the Burbank Studios (Warner Bros.) were also home to the ABC version of You Don't Say.

Yes it was.  As was the series of Give-n-Take.  The pilot for that was done
at CBS.  And, season 2 of Dealer's Choice was at Burbank Studios also.

Now: did ABC prospect also have Dick Clark's The Object Is? And perhaps Jack Linkletter's The Rebus Game?

Yes again.

tvrandywest

ABC game shows?
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2003, 10:32:54 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jun 27 2003, 09:14 PM\']The Aquarius Theater was also home to Fox's ill-fated late-night talk show with Chevy Chase. More to the point of game shows, I believe it also had Queen for A Day back when it was the Moulin Rouge nightclub.[/quote]
Yes indeed. And you could almost make a case for \"Queen For A Day\" being the last hit TV show from that theatre! The list of losers is long.

Randy
tvrandywest.com

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
ABC game shows?
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2003, 11:33:57 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 27 2003, 09:32 PM\']Yes indeed. And you could almost make a case for \"Queen For A Day\" being the last hit TV show from that theatre! The list of losers is long.
[/quote]
Game-show wise you definitely could, but as Mark pointed out earlier in this thread, I'd think STAR SEARCH probably wins that battle as far as all-time TV goes (while season one taped at Metromedia, much of the rest of its L.A. based run taped at the Aquarius before they jumped ship and moved to Orlando).

Didn't the Aquarius also house several telethons (Easter Seals in the mid-to-late 1980s, Lou Rawls Parade of Stars, etc., etc.)?

Doug
« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 11:48:08 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

ABC game shows?
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2003, 06:32:19 PM »
Yes indeed. And you could almost make a case for \"Queen For A Day\" being the last hit TV show from that theatre! The list of losers is long.
Game-show wise you definitely could, but as Mark pointed out earlier in this thread, I'd think STAR SEARCH probably wins that battle as far as all-time TV goes (while season one taped at Metromedia, much of the rest of its L.A. based run taped at the Aquarius before they jumped ship and moved to Orlando).

And on Nickelodeon and/or cable terms, \"All That\" and \"The Amanda Show\" would have to be considered successes (particularly since \"All That\" is nine years and at least one complete cast change and counting).