Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC game shows?  (Read 10679 times)

cmjb13

ABC game shows?
« on: June 26, 2003, 05:44:09 PM »
We know what taped at CBS and NBC, but...

What taped at ABC besides Feud and Trivia Trap?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
ABC game shows?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 06:48:38 PM »
By \"ABC\" do you mean the Prospect Avenue facility in Hollywood? They used several other facilities around town including the Hollywood Palace and the Vine Street Theater.

To name a few off the top of my head:

The Better Sex
Let's Make A Deal
The Dating Game
The Newlywed Game
Temptation (Hollywood Palace)
Password (Vine Street Theater)
Split Second
Showoffs

cmjb13

ABC game shows?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 07:06:10 PM »
I guess their \"main\" facility
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

bricon

ABC game shows?
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 09:07:49 PM »
You can also add \"Pop N Rocker Game\", and, though I don't think it's
a game show, it's on GSN, so it must be :), part of the run of Chuck
Woolery's \"Love Connection\".

zachhoran

ABC game shows?
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 09:16:44 PM »
We can add Second CHance(I think), Hot Seat(forget if that's Vine St. Theater or the Prospect building), All-Star Blitz, Hot Streak, Mama Non Mama(Pilot), Double Talk, Bargain Hunters, and MG90.

davemackey

ABC game shows?
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2003, 10:05:45 PM »
Davidson Squares taped for one season at ABC. I believe it was the 1987-1988 season.

Isn't (or wasn't) Sunset-Gower an ABC facility?

Kevin Prather

ABC game shows?
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2003, 10:25:28 PM »
i'm not sure about $xx,000 Pyramid, but i'm pretty sure WWTBAM taped in the main ABC building. or at least in the same building as Peter Jennings' and Connie Chung's news show(s).

goongas

ABC game shows?
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2003, 10:30:55 PM »
WWTBAM tapes in the same building that Regis & Kelly tapes, and where Good Morning America used to tape before moving to Times Square.

Eric

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
ABC game shows?
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2003, 10:36:32 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 08:16 PM\']We can add Second CHance(I think), Hot Seat(forget if that's Vine St. Theater or the Prospect building), All-Star Blitz, Hot Streak, Mama Non Mama(Pilot), Double Talk, Bargain Hunters, and MG90.[/quote]
You can also add RHYME AND REASON and BREAK THE BANK '76 as well.

Do we dare count DREAM GIRL OF '67 (or its 19-year later copycat DREAM GIRL USA [among those who competed on DGUSA was a young woman who went to my high school a couple of years after I did--you know her today as Charlotte Ross])?

Although the EOTVGS shows the 70s run of TREASURE HUNT taped at the Burbank Studios, unless director John Dorsey brought a whole bunch of ABC techs over there to serve as his crew I'd venture to say that that's a mistake and that TH taped at ABC (I'd also venture to say that the EOTVGS is correct about the 1980-81 run taping at the Burbank Studios).

There's a bunch more as I thumb through my copy of the EOTVGS, but someone else can take over.  I'm tired.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

MyCapableAssistant

ABC game shows?
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2003, 03:17:29 AM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 07:07 PM\']...  though I don't think it's
a game show, it's on GSN, so it must be :), part of the run of Chuck
Woolery's \"Love Connection\".[/quote]

Thanks for pointing that out Brian. I'm glad to see I'm not the ONLY one who thinks that! Can anybody shed some light on how/why \"Love Connection\" is considered a \"game show?\"

Jimmy Owen

ABC game shows?
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2003, 03:52:21 AM »
It's the game of love....with Chuck hosting and Rod Roddy, Gene Wood and Burt Luddin announcing. There are fee plugs and a studio audience, it's sort of a post-mortem Dating Game where the we find out the intimate details of a first date. Sometimes there's a happy ending...and sometimes just an ending, but it's all in good fun as we watch singles trying to make that Love Connection!  The game portion is this, the audience is given an opportunity to vote for one of three possible dates. If the majority of the audience selects the same person originally selected by the dater, the couple wins a second date paid for by the producers, which may be accepted or declined by the parties involved.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 03:57:17 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SRIV94

ABC game shows?
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2003, 11:12:55 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 09:25 PM\']i'm not sure about $xx,000 Pyramid, but i'm pretty sure WWTBAM taped in the main ABC building. or at least in the same building as Peter Jennings' and Connie Chung's news show(s).[/quote]
Adding NY facilities opens up a whole other can of worms.  As I was thumbing through the EOTVGS last night I was mainly looking for the shows taped out of ABC in L.A. (either at the Palace, Vine Street or the main space at Prospect and Talmedge).  But you're right--the ABC PYRAMIDs (along with shows like THE MONEY MAZE, THE BIG SHOWDOWN and Regis' THE NEIGHBORS, not to mention WWTBAM) did tape out of ABC facilities in NY.  There's a bunch more too (but the book isn't handy for me right now).

As far as network shows go, it may be easier to point out what ABC shows did NOT tape at one of their facilities (in NY or L.A.).  For syndies, aside from the aforementioned second season of Davidson HSq, POP & ROCKER, DGUSA, my supposition of TREASURE HUNT (70s) and a few seasons of LC, I'm hard-pressed to think of another.  For some reason, Jim Lange's TRIPLE THREAT springs to mind but I'm not sure about that one.

Doug
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jimmy Owen

ABC game shows?
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2003, 12:01:02 PM »
\"The Neighbors\" taped in California.  Regis was working for KABC at the time as a movie critic and morning show host.  Occasionally our ABC affiliate in Michigan would run his movie reviews during the evening news.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SRIV94

ABC game shows?
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2003, 12:10:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 27 2003, 11:01 AM\'] "The Neighbors" taped in California.  Regis was working for KABC at the time as a movie critic and morning show host.  Occasionally our ABC affiliate in Michigan would run his movie reviews during the evening news. [/quote]
 My bad.  Thanks!  :)

Doug
Doug

ChuckNet

ABC game shows?
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2003, 12:14:41 PM »
Although the EOTVGS shows the 70s run of TREASURE HUNT taped at the Burbank Studios, unless director John Dorsey brought a whole bunch of ABC techs over there to serve as his crew I'd venture to say that that's a mistake and that TH taped at ABC

Yes and no...TH did indeed tape at ABC for its first 2 seasons or so, but moved over The Burbank Studios during its last season...it was during that time they also switched from flip cards to Chyron for the price graphics and closing credits.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")