Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzr Discussion  (Read 435976 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Buzzr Discussion
« Reply #705 on: May 18, 2016, 11:09:16 PM »
I may be crazy but over the years I've grown to like the 70s syndie series far better than the 1984 series. Everything on the latter version just seems too loud and garish where as the first one is the right combination of wacky and class.

Maybe that's strange but hey.
Much as I enjoyed the 80s version, I'm slowly agreeing with you, and it boils down to this: Dean (and to a lesser extent, Brian) served as a great sidekick, but there's no beating the chemistry between Monty and Jay.

I liked the colorful geometric shapes of the 80s version, but yeah, overall it seemed a bit too slick, presentation-wise. The 70s version had a certain charm that gives it the edge.

However, I do wish there were more cues from the 80s versions in the clear, from both 1980 and '84. Some of them were really kickass.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #706 on: May 18, 2016, 11:30:58 PM »
I don't know how much truth was behind this but I remember reading somewhere that in season dos that Monty was grooming Dean to take the show over from him if it made it to a third year while Monty would ride off into the sunset. I find it a little tough to swallow, considering that Monty would be back on TV by the end of 1986 anyway, but I wonder how much truth is really behind it.

ETA: by comparison, it didn't seem like the 84 series was as reliant on product placement as the 70s series was, wouldn't you say? I remember a sponsor billboard would pop up here and there but to me it seemed like the 70s series deals more often than not had some product attached to them, zonks included.

/would make good use of those DQ certificates I tell you whut
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #707 on: May 18, 2016, 11:37:35 PM »
I don't know how much truth was behind this but I remember reading somewhere that in season dos that Monty was grooming Dean to take the show over from him if it made it to a third year while Monty would ride off into the sunset. I find it a little tough to swallow, considering that Monty would be back on TV by the end of 1986 anyway, but I wonder how much truth is really behind it.
He was doing what everyone else was doing--trying to ride the tail end of the Wheel of Fortune is hot, let's do more syndicated game shows wave. If Wheel of Fortune doesn't take off we probably don't get another run of Split Second.

/would make good use of those DQ certificates I tell you whut
You and me both, Guy. I finally had an Orange Julius last summer--I was sad that I had missed out for so long.

Both the original and the 1980s versions have various things to recommend, but I tend to gravitate toward the 1980s version myself.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #708 on: May 19, 2016, 12:03:28 AM »
I've seen that story too...for some reason, I want to say it was on Dean's personal site.

ETA: by comparison, it didn't seem like the 84 series was as reliant on product placement as the 70s series was, wouldn't you say? I remember a sponsor billboard would pop up here and there but to me it seemed like the 70s series deals more often than not had some product attached to them, zonks included.
For some reason, the only billboard I'm remembering from the 80s version consisted of carpet samples, courtesy of Color Tile. I haven't watched the show in years, but that does stand out in my mind, along with lots of Shasta soda inserts. Or was that the 70s version?

/Always wanted one of the DQ/Brazier burgers displayed in the 70s version
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

« Reply #709 on: May 19, 2016, 12:41:10 AM »
I've seen that story too...for some reason, I want to say it was on Dean's personal site.

Well, at least I know I'm not crazy. :) If that's the case I'll take his word for it until proven otherwise.

For some reason, the only billboard I'm remembering from the 80s version consisted of carpet samples, courtesy of Color Tile. I haven't watched the show in years, but that does stand out in my mind, along with lots of Shasta soda inserts. Or was that the 70s version?

I think that I saw one for, I wanna say, Cheer. Why I don't know.

Far as Shasta goes, I don't know how much it showed up on the 80s series but it did have quite the ubiquitous presence on the 70s series. Saw a lotta Creamettes macaroni too, and let's not forget the Rath hams either.

/still have never been to a DQ with real food
//never mind that limited Brazier crap
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #710 on: May 19, 2016, 09:29:47 AM »
Saw a tweet that Buzzr is now available in Indianapolis. I believe it's on 28.1.

That's a low-power station out of Terre Haute. Curious as to whether I'll really be able to pick it up in my part of town when I get back.
@lambertman

tvmitch

« Reply #711 on: May 19, 2016, 10:58:11 AM »
That's a low-power station out of Terre Haute. Curious as to whether I'll really be able to pick it up in my part of town when I get back.
That's interesting that they are calling that Indianapolis, when Terre Haute is a Nielsen market in its own right.

Chris, do you easily pick up the Terre Haute stations with an antenna where you are? I would assume the Terre Haute stations aren't on Indy cable, right?
You should follow me on Twitter

TimK2003

« Reply #712 on: May 19, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »

Well, at least I know I'm not crazy. :) If that's the case I'll take his word for it until proven otherwise.

I think that I saw one for, I wanna say, Cheer. Why I don't know.

Far as Shasta goes, I don't know how much it showed up on the 80s series but it did have quite the ubiquitous presence on the 70s series. Saw a lotta Creamettes macaroni too, and let's not forget the Rath hams either.

//never mind that limited Brazier crap

And then there was that "giant can" of Reddi Wip...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #713 on: May 19, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
"giant can"

"What do you have after consuming an entire can of Reddi-Wip..."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Fedya

« Reply #714 on: May 19, 2016, 07:36:18 PM »
Hi-yo!
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #715 on: May 19, 2016, 09:47:16 PM »

Has anybody?  :)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #716 on: May 20, 2016, 07:22:17 PM »
In the smattering of episodes available on YouTube, I've come across a couple episodes that offered a "prize" from California Stuffed Toys portrayed as a zonk, as well as prizes from Radio Flyer.

--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

« Reply #717 on: May 21, 2016, 02:17:26 AM »
In the smattering of episodes available on YouTube, I've come across a couple episodes that offered a "prize" from California Stuffed Toys portrayed as a zonk, as well as prizes from Radio Flyer.

Huffy, I noticed, was also featured in some zonk prizes. Some not so zonky either. In fact, I was unaware that Huffy made anything besides bicycles until recently when they featured a riding lawnmower from the company.

I always get a kick out of the bologna/salami zonks, if for no other reason that all that deli meat really does cost a lot of money if you buy it in bulk like that. :)

Going back for a second to my first statement...I find a lot of product brand names that I recognize today for other reasons when I watch LMAD and I do find it somewhat fascinating. Take for instance Packard Bell, which I associate with computers.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #718 on: May 21, 2016, 02:36:59 AM »
Take for instance Packard Bell, which I associate with computers.

I associate it with crap. But I think we repeat ourselves. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #719 on: May 21, 2016, 02:45:27 AM »
Take for instance Packard Bell, which I associate with computers.

I associate it with crap. But I think we repeat ourselves. :)

Well, I wasn't gonna go there but now that you mention it...:)

(First internet-capable PC I had was a PB 486 running Windows 3.1 and a 14.4 modem...does anybody use dialup anymore?)