Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzr Discussion  (Read 436014 times)

snowpeck

Re: Buzzr Discussion
« Reply #630 on: April 06, 2016, 02:18:33 AM »
Buzzr is airing episodes of To Tell the Truth that are new to the network this week.

Buzzr has skipped about as many episodes of TTTT as they've aired! I do hope they eventually edit and air all those cigarette-sponsored TTTT episodes. They have edited out the occasional cigarette ad on episodes that they do air.
Editing out the occasional alternate sponsor ad is one thing, but when the logo is all over the set and the host plugs the product himself, that's something else entirely.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #631 on: April 07, 2016, 01:03:48 AM »
I don't know if the ban on cigarette advertising applies to cable as well as to broadcast TV. Did GSN ever air shows with cigarette ads left in?

BUZZR TV is on over-the-air broadcast television so one would think all of the billboards would have to come out, i.e. Bud Collyer saying "brought to you this week by Salem cigarettes". IGAS is a different can of worms, though, with "Winston" all over the set.

Was it on BUZZR TV or YouTube that I saw an ad for either Newport or KOOL cigarettes starring none other than Gene Wood?

trainman

« Reply #632 on: April 07, 2016, 10:50:00 PM »
I don't know if the ban on cigarette advertising applies to cable as well as to broadcast TV.

The law reads as follows (15 USC 1335):

After January 1, 1971, it shall be unlawful to advertise cigarettes and little cigars on any medium of electronic communication subject to the jurisdiction of the Federal Communications Commission.

trainman is a man of trains

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #633 on: April 08, 2016, 12:27:32 AM »
I don't know if the ban on cigarette advertising applies to cable as well as to broadcast TV. Did GSN ever air shows with cigarette ads left in?
I don't think they left the cigarette ads in, but they definitely aired the Winston IGAS eps and I don't think they left out the mentions of the brand at the top of the show or when Garry would hand out a carton with the winnings.

They also aired the Salem TTTT and Password episodes as well, I think with the references there left intact as well.

I wonder how they went about airing those at the time they did, but didn't ever since then. Special permission from the FCC?
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TimK2003

« Reply #634 on: April 08, 2016, 01:27:11 AM »
I don't think they left the cigarette ads in, but they definitely aired the Winston IGAS eps and I don't think they left out the mentions of the brand at the top of the show or when Garry would hand out a carton with the winnings.

They also aired the Salem TTTT and Password episodes as well, I think with the references there left intact as well.

I wonder how they went about airing those at the time they did, but didn't ever since then. Special permission from the FCC?

Judging by how long the Winston (Cigarettes) Cup lasted in NASCAR, with the Winston logo very easy to spot during those races up until 2003 (it was RJ Reynolds' decision to cease sponsorship of the races, not any kind of FCC or government law) it sounds like passive "ad placements" where the name & or logo is displayed is still okay, past or present.  Same with Gary Moore saying, "Take this carton of Winston Cigarettes with our compliments" is presumed to be allowed, as it is not elaborating on the product which then is not an "ad" per se.

Another example is in older movies & TV shows which were shot on location, there may have been scenes where cigarette signs, billboards, displays, or actual packs were seen.  Those scenes are still intact in modern day TV airings as they are not "selling" the product.  Even Dick Clark's Blooper Shows would occasionally show brief clips of some of the jingles used in cigarette commercials with no problem, and that was in the 80s.

IIRC in GSN's case, they would voluntarily air Anti-Smoking PSAs as a trade-off.  Not sure if and when they stopped that practice.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #635 on: April 08, 2016, 02:04:31 AM »
The law reads as follows (15 USC 1335):

After January 1, 1971, it shall be unlawful to advertise cigarettes and little cigars on any medium of electronic communication subject to the jurisdiction of the Federal Communications Commission.

Unless they're worried about a broad interpretation of the FCC's power, that would mean cable stations could air the cigarette programs if they wanted to, so far I as read it. The FCC got involved with cable as it pertained to public access & network rebroadcasting, but not in its content (which is why cursing & nudity can fly on cable - you just need advertisers willing to play ball).

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

snowpeck

« Reply #636 on: April 08, 2016, 02:15:17 AM »
GSN aired Old Gold-sponsored episodes of Two for the Money at one point too.  You have to wonder if at this point the problem is worrying about complaints from viewers rather than actually breaking the law.
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools
« Reply #637 on: April 08, 2016, 07:31:37 PM »
i wish I had buzzr on my cable provider but I have dish network
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

Johnissoevil

« Reply #638 on: April 09, 2016, 12:25:20 AM »
i wish I had buzzr on my cable provider but I have dish network

You should be able to pick up My9 in your area.  Or possibly Fox 29, considering where you are...

Oh, wait.  The person installing the antenna professionally has to be 18 or over.  Nevermind.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #639 on: April 10, 2016, 05:52:46 AM »
Broadcast stations are licensed by the FCC.

What cable system is licensed by the FCC? There is no radio-frequency emission into the "ether".

trainman

« Reply #640 on: April 10, 2016, 07:21:43 PM »
Broadcast stations are licensed by the FCC.

What cable system is licensed by the FCC? There is no radio-frequency emission into the "ether".

They're not licensed in the same sense that broadcast stations are, but they are registered and regulated. See, for example, this page at FCC.gov.

The FCC has technical quality standards that define a basic quality of service that cable subscribers are entitled to receive. Cable companies serving 1,000 or more subscribers must test semi-annually to demonstrate that they meet these standards.
trainman is a man of trains

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #641 on: April 10, 2016, 07:57:10 PM »
The FCC has technical quality standards

snowpeck

« Reply #642 on: April 10, 2016, 08:01:47 PM »
The FCC has an FAQ on its website wherein this question is asked:

Q:  Can a cable system carry advertisements for cigarettes?

A:  No.  Advertisements for cigarettes, little cigars and smokeless tobacco are prohibited on any medium of electronic communication subject to the jurisdiction of the Federal Communications Commission.  Laws against these types of advertising have criminal penalties and are administered by the U.S.  Department of Justice rather than by the Commission.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #643 on: April 10, 2016, 09:06:56 PM »
The FCC has technical quality standards

Chris, let's use Occam's Razor here.  There are two types of ad bans: voluntary, such as hard alcohol did for years, and involuntary.   Which version is in place to explain the fact that we haven't seen cigarette ads on TV in 45 years?  Because it's one of the two.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #644 on: April 11, 2016, 01:07:19 AM »
Didn't check where the other series were but the Sunday night lineup refreshed tonight. Sale picked up with John's big win and followed it with what I believe had to be the episode following the two they aired for Buzzr Brackets.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022