Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzr Discussion  (Read 436327 times)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Re: Buzzr Discussion
« Reply #570 on: February 01, 2016, 09:18:44 AM »
As I mused earlier, when they do this Bracket Tournament of Hosts event, it would be nice if they could snag at least one episode of Barker Price. That's, of course, assuming that the Bracket event is even a big on-air event and not just an interstitial or just an online thing.

I felt that Season 36 was really fun in terms of seeing Drew get used to things and learn the games. I'd love to see it rerun on television. I still enjoy it. Also, the last few seasons since Season 40 have really been great in my opinion. The Carey era really would be a fine pick-up for the network.

I wonder what the deal is with Cullen Price though. With a lot of the nighttime run in good shape, it would certainly have a home on the network. I suppose whatever "interested parties" involved in the complication of re-airing Price, are also complicating Cullen's version? Shame if that's the case, since that version is an entirely different show.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #571 on: February 01, 2016, 01:18:32 PM »
He probably just meant lots of hurdles and hoops to jump through with CBS and possibly Barker.

Of course that's the real reason.

But to say there are other interested parties appears to be nothing more than hogwash

I interpret "there are a lot of other parties interested in the show" as "a lot of other parties have an interest in the show," which would explain why getting the rights to air TPIR is complicated. Though like jjman, I wonder how those parties are able to also keep the Cullen version from airing.

jimlangefan

« Reply #572 on: February 01, 2016, 01:46:11 PM »
He probably just meant lots of hurdles and hoops to jump through with CBS and possibly Barker.

Of course that's the real reason.

But to say there are other interested parties appears to be nothing more than hogwash

I interpret "there are a lot of other parties interested in the show" as "a lot of other parties have an interest in the show," which would explain why getting the rights to air TPIR is complicated. Though like jjman, I wonder how those parties are able to also keep the Cullen version from airing.

The only reason I can think of is that it's just a package deal.  Either they get whatever Price Barker and CBS allow, along with Cullen's or they get nothing at all.  I just remember that when Barker's TPIR went off GSN abruptly in 2000, Cullen Price aired one last episode after that and then it was gone completely off the network.
TV's Big Dealer

JayDLewis

« Reply #573 on: February 01, 2016, 04:28:28 PM »

The fact that Barker TPIR hasn't had reruns anywhere in 16 years, just about says it all.

9 or 10 years. Prime (then TVTropolis, now Dtour) in Canada aired same-season repeats of TPiR. I think they were 2-3 weeks behind and aired in the evenings.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

ivoryman1986

« Reply #574 on: February 01, 2016, 08:00:56 PM »
I had to look through Jason Cranmer's collection and last week, Buzzr did in fact air the Teen Week episodes and the March 25, 1985 show(episode #209) before they went back to the January 22, 1985 show today, so in total, not counting the pilot episode, Buzzr has so far reran 52 episodes. I'm not sure which week they aired during the "Lost and Fun" block week but what I'd like to know Douglas is did Buzzr air an episode from the 1 defeat-and-done format(in which the 5-episode limit and the $25,000 winnings cap was still in use at that time)?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:11:15 PM by ivoryman1986 »

Sodboy13

« Reply #575 on: February 02, 2016, 04:31:40 PM »
Boy, it sure is!
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Allstar87

« Reply #576 on: February 02, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »
I'm not sure which week they aired during the "Lost and Fun" block week but what I'd like to know Douglas is did Buzzr air an episode from the 1 defeat-and-done format(in which the 5-episode limit and the $25,000 winnings cap was still in use at that time)?

So far, they never have.

The episode they aired during Lost & Found was Jan. 23, 1985.

gsfan85

« Reply #577 on: February 03, 2016, 02:36:29 PM »
Just checked the schedule for Valentine's Day, looks like we're getting some He Said, She Said, Password and Password Plus!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #578 on: February 03, 2016, 09:26:46 PM »
Just checked the schedule for Valentine's Day, looks like we're getting some He Said, She Said, Password and Password Plus!

Which they've been running commercials for all week.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Sodboy13

« Reply #579 on: February 03, 2016, 10:43:29 PM »
I know pretty much everyone else on this board has probably seen it already, but I'd just like to say I'm enjoying the hell out of John Goss' $OTC run.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

PYLdude

« Reply #580 on: February 03, 2016, 11:06:03 PM »
I know pretty much everyone else on this board has probably seen it already, but I'd just like to say I'm enjoying the hell out of John Goss' $OTC run.

Certainly not alone in that. I really hadn't seen any of it except for John's finale (at least hadn't remembered it) and even though I knew what was going to happen it's still fun to watch.

Although they're not going to be picking back up with the Sunday night block again until the 21st, right? Or are the Buzzr Bowl and Valentines' stunts not all day affairs?

/seriously looking forward to Buzzr Bowl for some reason
//haven't seen any Combs Feud in years
///really don't know how I missed the AFC vs.NFC QB showdown
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Sodboy13

« Reply #581 on: February 03, 2016, 11:09:06 PM »
Featuring London Monarchs legend Stan Gelbaugh!

aaron sica

« Reply #582 on: February 03, 2016, 11:16:50 PM »
Featuring London Monarchs legend Stan Gelbaugh!

And local high school Cumberland Valley as well (class of '81).

PYLdude

« Reply #583 on: February 03, 2016, 11:21:45 PM »
And the first (?) of many Detroit Lions draft picks that cratered over the last 25 years, Andre Ware.

BrandonFG

« Reply #584 on: February 04, 2016, 12:17:21 AM »
Interesting that they managed to get some bigger names amongst that bunch, like Jim Kelly and Steve Young. Granted, Steve was still a year away from getting the monkey off his back, he was still a big name.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!