Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzr Discussion  (Read 436042 times)

Thunder

Re: Buzzr Discussion
« Reply #255 on: June 01, 2015, 11:44:24 PM »
From the USA Today article...

BUZZR commemorates its launch Monday by presenting Deal's 1963 pilot (8 p.m. ET/PT), which features prizes such as a 1963 Pontiac Tempest convertible, a $29.95 toaster oven and four live lambs.

I'm waiting for somebody to yell that they spoiled the episode.

By the way, I'm getting BUZZR perfectly clear in Phoenix now.

/Just Kidding.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #256 on: June 01, 2015, 11:51:37 PM »
By the way, I'm getting BUZZR perfectly clear in Phoenix now.

/Just Kidding.

I'll send whatever access I have to Phoenix if Phoenix will send me some of the warmer weather that's supposed to be here this time of year.

It's June 1, not March 1!
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Mr. Matté

« Reply #257 on: June 02, 2015, 12:45:51 AM »

snowpeck

« Reply #258 on: June 02, 2015, 02:39:46 AM »
Anybody watching the black & white shows? Anything interesting to report?
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #259 on: June 02, 2015, 03:21:50 AM »

Basically just they're keeping in the original ads.  So if you wish you could still buy Stoppette, you can dream.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #260 on: June 02, 2015, 03:25:53 AM »

sotcfan2004

« Reply #261 on: June 02, 2015, 03:27:04 AM »
Finally up and running here in San Francisco. KTVU Channel 2.4.

snowpeck

« Reply #262 on: June 02, 2015, 03:49:31 AM »

Basically just they're keeping in the original ads.  So if you wish you could still buy Stoppette, you can dream.
How are they handling their own ad breaks then?
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

jdhernandez

« Reply #263 on: June 02, 2015, 04:55:27 AM »

How are they handling their own ad breaks then?

Poof! There goes perspiration!

I'm watching as we speak, and for this B&W portion of programming, it appears like they are putting in very extended ad breaks in between the vintage advertisements to account for the run time. Each of the B&W shows runs for approximately 40 minutes with both original and current commercials.
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #264 on: June 02, 2015, 08:52:36 AM »
I'm watching as we speak, and for this B&W portion of programming, it appears like they are putting in very extended ad breaks in between the vintage advertisements to account for the run time. Each of the B&W shows runs for approximately 40 minutes with both original and current commercials.

That too is a throwback to the earliest days of GSN, at least the idea of 40-minute program blocks.  GSN didn't run the original ads, of course, but they did play the episodes intact otherwise, and added their own interstitial programming (mostly their interactive game Decades) so that each episode lasted about 40 minutes.  Even their own promos said things like I've Got a Secret would be seen at 8:40-ish.

Leaving in the classic commercials is a nice treat for those of us who feel like we've seen the old shows plenty of times, but it does mean that they're almost certainly going to skip the ones sponsored by cigarettes.  BTW, it might surprise some of you to know that in some cases, even the 70s master tapes had at least some commercials on them.  I was fortunate enough to get a week of Cullen Tattletales direct from the GSN masters, and while I was excited for the better picture quality, I was delighted when I found out there were ads too.

Also, thumbs-up to whomever changed the title of this thread.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

aaron sica

« Reply #265 on: June 02, 2015, 09:06:20 AM »
That'd be great, but it's also an ability they have had for a LONG time, and they've dropped the banhammer before. So now there's a sudden change of heart / seeing of the light?

Nope. Don't buy it.

Considering that Fremantle has shut down the WML YouTube Channel, I would tend to agree with you.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #266 on: June 02, 2015, 09:29:50 AM »
That'd be great, but it's also an ability they have had for a LONG time, and they've dropped the banhammer before. So now there's a sudden change of heart / seeing of the light?

Nope. Don't buy it.
Considering that Fremantle has shut down the WML YouTube Channel, I would tend to agree with you.

This is an interesting development, because the Fremantle representative couldn't have been more clear in the story that they were happy that fans were uploading their product to YouTube.  Moreover, if they're going after something, why go after the black and white show that runs at three in the morning?  I imagine it's possible that they didn't realize that EVERY SINGLE EPISODE of WML? (or at least as many as GSN has ever aired) has been uploaded, and at that point it stops being a harmless little fan thing.

Not surprisingly, the curator of the WML? page is insisting that Fremantle's actions are "unjustifiable" and he intends to "fight this in any way [he] can"

aaron sica

« Reply #267 on: June 02, 2015, 09:57:28 AM »
I imagine it's possible that they didn't realize that EVERY SINGLE EPISODE of WML? (or at least as many as GSN has ever aired) has been uploaded, and at that point it stops being a harmless little fan thing.

Not surprisingly, the curator of the WML? page is insisting that Fremantle's actions are "unjustifiable" and he intends to "fight this in any way [he] can"

QFT. They probably figured clips of TPiR mishaps, funny Feud answers, and MG bloopers, for example, are harmless, and even complete episodes of some shows. I didn't realize how many eps of WML were uploaded. I can definitely see why Fremantle would want to go after them.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #268 on: June 02, 2015, 10:14:07 AM »
Is there another channel with every episode of WML uploaded? Because there's one with episodes as old as a year still up and running (from the few videos I've clicked on).
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #269 on: June 02, 2015, 11:11:35 AM »
Is there another channel with every episode of WML uploaded? Because there's one with episodes as old as a year still up and running (from the few videos I've clicked on).

That's the one.  This message was posted today in the associated Facebook group:

"For those who may not yet be aware, the WML channel is currently under direct attack by Fremantle Enterprises due to totally unjustifiable, outrageous copyright claims which they've only started filing because they just launched their new TV station, Buzzr.

I intend to fight this in any way I can (The CBS WML series is not copyrighted and never was), even if I have to go as far as to hire a copyright attorney. But the WML channel's days may be numbered no matter what I do, folks."