Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzr Discussion  (Read 436006 times)

JMFabiano

Re: Buzzr Discussion
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2015, 07:07:21 PM »
Wait, what? All I knew was that he called out that WarioBarker guy's crap on his own blog.

Oh, that.  I'd totally forgotten about that.  A few years ago, when they were still in their "Let's throw every new idea at the wall and see what sticks" mentality, there was a day when they came back from commercial with a new camera shot, and Drew basically voiced a fake Golden-Road post about being mad at the show over messing with the directing and writing Rich DiPirro a letter about it.  I thought that was what you were referring to.

Did he mention the site by name?  If not, then it couldn't be as bad as the Extreme Gong incident from 1999, where ATGS WAS mentioned by name in their insults. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2015, 07:15:57 PM »
That was bad?

That was an incident?
Travis L. Eberle

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2015, 07:38:26 PM »
Did he mention the site by name?

No, but it wasn't exactly rocket science to figure out who he was talking about.

If not, then it couldn't be as bad as the Extreme Gong incident from 1999, where ATGS WAS mentioned by name in their insults.

I've heard of this but never seen the incident.  They actually called out the newsgroup by name?

BrandonFG

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
Did he mention the site by name?

No, but it wasn't exactly rocket science to figure out who he was talking about.

If not, then it couldn't be as bad as the Extreme Gong incident from 1999, where ATGS WAS mentioned by name in their insults.

I've heard of this but never seen the incident.  They actually called out the newsgroup by name?
Yeah they did. One of the producers would lurk on ATGS, and wasn't fond of the bad reviews from the forum. Said producer actually emailed me to defend the show after I mentioned it prolly wouldn't be my cup of te.

And yes, some of the ATGS members were up in arms about the whole thing. 
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2015, 08:40:51 PM »
I've heard of this but never seen the incident. They actually called out the newsgroup by name?
Yeah they did.
It was online at one point a few years ago, and boy was it painful to watch. It wasn't the first time ATGS had been namedropped (there was an earlier episode where they said the consolation prize was "hanging out with the other losers at alt.tv.game-shows"), but this one, though...yeah.

All things considered, looking at the ATGS posts I feel like the show and the specific producer involved were trolling big-time with the remarks in general.

One of the producers would lurk on ATGS, and wasn't fond of the bad reviews from the forum. Said producer actually emailed me to defend the show after I mentioned it prolly wouldn't be my cup of te.

And yes, some of the ATGS members were up in arms about the whole thing.
I don't exactly blame 'em, especially since one member noted on ATGS that said producer contacted him while the newsgroup was reacting to the "consolation prize" remark to say (again paraphrasing) "Hey, it's just a joke since you guys were so negative towards us. Don't take it personally."...and then came the aforementioned episode.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 11:00:22 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2015, 11:14:00 PM »
I don't remember my reaction to it back then, but I would say if anyone was genuinely pissed about that, they're taking things way too seriously, and that the producers of the show accomplished their goal: getting under the nerds' skin with a little jab. The Simpsons had a similar running gag for that show's newsgroup, for very similar reasons.

Honestly, I don't even think the people who watched the show and heard that joke would a) know what alt.tv.game-shows meant and b) would take enough time to see what the show was ragging on.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2015, 09:40:32 PM »
I remember that. I'm sure Scott Satin was very happy that he managed to get in his little shot, but at the end of the day his show still blew dog. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dale_grass

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2015, 10:25:26 PM »
at the end of the day his show still blew dog

The dog's name wasn't Chunks by any chance, was it?

aaron sica

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »
I remember this as well.......I believe I was one of the ones trashing Extreme Gong back in the a.t.g-s days, as I got a friendly email from George Gray nicely defending the program. .

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »
I seem to recall more subtle slams of ATGS members.  One I vividly remember reading about George Gray beating up a stuffed toy giraffe on the show, in reference to a comment Charlie Pevey (Giraffe Boy) said on the group.

chad1m

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2015, 06:10:54 PM »
A Twitter follower of mine, @FladamPlays, shared the following ad with me from this week's Broadcasting & Cable. It includes the prospective logo, the simple-yet-effective slogan of "Let's play," plus it features the logos of Child's Play, Match Game, Blockbusters, Body Language, To Tell The Truth, classic Family Feud, TattleTales and Super Password.

aaron sica

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2015, 06:27:28 PM »
That ad evoked the same feelings in me that this one did when I first saw it, way back when..

http://americanradiohistory.com/Archive-BC/BC-1994/BC-1994-11-28.pdf

(pages 35-37).

Thunder

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2015, 02:40:49 PM »
I seem to recall more subtle slams of ATGS members.  One I vividly remember reading about George Gray beating up a stuffed toy giraffe on the show, in reference to a comment Charlie Pevey (Giraffe Boy) said on the group.

Now that's hilarious to me. :D

BrandonFG

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2015, 04:28:05 PM »
Local newspaper posted an AP article about Buzzr and some of its shows, primarily Beat the Clock. Host Elliot Morgan's perspective on the original is kinda interesting...

/Might be a paywall
//I'm being facetious when I say interesting

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2015, 05:49:13 PM »
...So all the guy found was Collyer-era stuff, and he thought it was boring? Why, because it wasn't in color or has those pesky commercial breaks?

Seriously, guy, at least find some Narz, Wood, and especially Hall-era stuff (Kroeger's version kinda missed the point, in my opinion) before you make that kind of judgment.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...