Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzr Discussion  (Read 436039 times)

Thunder

Re: Buzzr Discussion
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2015, 08:31:24 PM »
... basically making the whole site look like a bunch of idiots in about the most visible way possible.

Not much has changed. I saw this in the first daily recap that I looked at.

Seven years in, and you don't get a basic part of hosting a game.  Why?  Why, Drew, why?   We know you love this gig, now *care* enough about it to do the basic, teachable stuff correctly!  Gahhhh!!!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2015, 08:45:32 PM »
Not much has changed. I saw this in the first daily recap that I looked at.

Seven years in, and you don't get a basic part of hosting a game.  Why?  Why, Drew, why?   We know you love this gig, now *care* enough about it to do the basic, teachable stuff correctly!  Gahhhh!!!

Yeah, but at least that was on our site.  There's a bit of a qualitative difference between that and going and bitching at Drew on his own turf.

CarbonCpy

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2015, 09:32:59 PM »
Oh, hey, a bunch of replies in a thread about Buzzr, maybe something big or interesting has happ--

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2015, 09:34:27 PM »
Normally I find using pictures to express a thought when we have words to be loathsome and outdone, but ermagerd. Points.
Travis L. Eberle

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2015, 09:36:47 PM »
My apologies, guys.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2015, 09:42:22 PM »
My apologies, guys.
My one regret about my parents's divorce is that they didn't wait until microwaves became a little more ubiquitous so that Sis and I could share a bowl of popcorn and demonstrate just how silly my parents sounded arguing over stupid crap.
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2015, 09:53:12 PM »
Normally I find using pictures to express a thought when we have words to be loathsome and outdone, but ermagerd. Points.

It can be quite humorous and effective.

Prizes

• Both a miner and a hoe
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2015, 10:02:15 PM »
With due respect Steve, I can't stand the any more either, aside from your postings and those of maybe two or three other people, because overall quality is that far down. Doesn't help the admins are all but MIA. Most of the posts are downright unreadable, and are people who really don't understand the genre in the first place, so often judging the program on pricing games won vs. lost. Under three won? Oh, terrible day. More than three won. Oh, wonderful day.

While you can enjoy the show in that way, as it's your right to, I think it's a fairly strong parallel, perhaps even a microcosm, to the forum as a whole: Reactionary. This has always been the fault of Golden-Road, it is reactionary, negative, and quite honestly fanboyish most of the time. God forbid when the actual thing changes. You wanna talk ridiculous? Clock Game got a nifty, sleek set upgrade to like a transparent stopwatch earlier this season, but oh the horror. You would think a national disaster had happened. Sure, it won't make a difference in the ratings, but hey, I kinda liked it, and think it goes with the modern motif overall they're putting out there. This is an opinion I'd feel afraid to be putting on the Road, since I know it'd be taken like a raw steak to the wolf pack, despite some powers there on my end.  For Thunder's post, I mostly agree, and it's a solid example of day to day stuff at the dung heap there, if rather tame, but I Googled that post, and it's by somebody with like 40 posts, which is not exactly a number of a long-time, continuous contributor to the page.

I typically think Steve's thoughts on Price as a whole are rather strong, but he should be able to see what GR as a whole has issue with here. Like it or not, these kinds of stories are why G-R is a blackmark on the community, and gets mocked by nearly everywhere else, and I think rightly so. Heck, I probably used to think in the same fangirl mentality. But, eventually, usually you learn how ridiculous this is in time as you get older, and start to learn more about what makes a show work, basically ratings above all else, and perhaps today, some degree of interactivity/giveaway, for the instant gratification millenials.

If TV networks all profile us as telephone pole screamers, to borrow Drew's term, then it harms all of us to be able to be taken seriously as viewers and fans of the genre. Thankfully here, Buzzerblog, among others provide regular sanity, that bases the shows upon ratings, not what some prop or game was used 30 years ago that is now being replaced. Drew is a solid host, with ratings that I think are fantastic. That Golden-Road fails to realize this, and has for years tells me the issue is them, not Drew and crew.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 10:17:47 PM by Prizes »
Owner of WOF fan site buyavowel.boards.net
Didn't like scuba diving school. Too many fights.
~Jessica Brand

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2015, 10:21:47 PM »
I typically think Steve's thoughts on Price as a whole are rather strong, but he should be able to see what GR as a whole has issue with here. Like it or not, these kinds of stories are why G-R is a blackmark on the community, and gets mocked by nearly everywhere else, and I think rightly so.

Yeah, but what are we gonna do -- moderate every comment that wasn't thought through all the way?  It'd take all day, and we'd have, like, seven posts left.

Prizes

• Both a miner and a hoe
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2015, 10:31:15 PM »
Yeah, but what are we gonna do -- moderate every comment that wasn't thought through all the way?  It'd take all day, and we'd have, like, seven posts left.

Can't say I disagree. I think we've got to get admin staff back there, even beyond the admins of old, by say, promoting us, or at least giving us moderators the ability to ban individual users. This would at least let people know of that threat and/or warning of a ban, who are acting out of line, trolling or just continue to post only complete and utter nonsense, like someone who has his favorite game where you win by finding the front and back of some mode of transportation. As is it, there's really no incentive to not act in one of these three ways, since many users that need to be banned for trolling, rude behavior, or just nonsensical matters, often aren't.

We can't moderate that much as you say, it's not feasible because of real life, but there has to be a tangible consequence for these posters that we or someone can administer, beyond deleting a post, locking the thread, or reporting it, where the post all but gets ignored.
Owner of WOF fan site buyavowel.boards.net
Didn't like scuba diving school. Too many fights.
~Jessica Brand

dale_grass

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2015, 10:36:59 PM »
Normally I find using pictures to express a thought when we have words to be loathsome and outdone

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal?

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2015, 10:38:24 PM »
My one regret about my parents's divorce is that they didn't wait until microwaves became a little more ubiquitous so that Sis and I could share a bowl of popcorn and demonstrate just how silly my parents sounded arguing over stupid crap.

My one regret about microwaves is that people cook popcorn in it.

Buy yourself a Stir Crazy.  It'll be your best friend.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2015, 11:10:15 PM »

My one regret about microwaves is that people cook popcorn in it.

I had no idea they still make those.  Takes me back to my college days.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Thunder

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2015, 01:31:52 AM »

The Stir Crazy, 4 pounds of popcorn, 35 ounces of Flavacol popcorn salt and 1 pound of colored coconut oil will be delivered on Tuesday.

$63.10 and no more microwave ovens being thrown out the window because the kids burned a bag of popcorn.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2015, 08:30:09 AM »

The Stir Crazy, 4 pounds of popcorn, 35 ounces of Flavacol popcorn salt and 1 pound of colored coconut oil will be delivered on Tuesday.

$63.10 and no more microwave ovens being thrown out the window because the kids burned a bag of popcorn.

Try investing in brewer's yeast for the seasoning.  1) You'll have the most flavorful but nutritious bag of popcorn ever, and 2) if you have cats, some of them may share the popcorn with you.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."