Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New GSN Show - Lie Detectors starts April 20  (Read 15489 times)

BillCullen1

New GSN Show - Lie Detectors starts April 20
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:09:05 AM »
GSN has started to air promos for this. Audience members try to guess which of the three comics is lying. More info at buzzerblog.com   

doctorwho

Re: New GSN Show - Lie Detectors starts April 20
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:18:59 PM »
So... Baloney, basically?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:37:43 PM »
So... Baloney, basically?

As Mike wrote in the first line of the page you linked, that set-up is hardly unique to Baloney either.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

doctorwho

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:14:53 AM »
...wow, I really dropped the ball there. 

Point is, it's not the first, it's probably not going to be the last.   Nothing we haven't seen before here.

BillCullen1

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 08:35:51 AM »
For verification - there are three comics. Two are lying. Audience member must choose the one telling the truth to win a prize.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 08:42:08 AM »
Sandy Frank had a show with the same name back in the '80s.  Sandy is very protective of his properties.  I'm sure GSN asked Sandy for use of the title before going into production or maybe it's no big deal, :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

dale_grass

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 10:00:18 AM »
Sandy Frank had a show with the same name back in the '80s.  Sandy is very protective of his properties.

And that's why Steven Spielberg won't return his calls.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 12:08:12 PM »
Sandy Frank had a show with the same name back in the '80s.  Sandy is very protective of his properties.  I'm sure GSN asked Sandy for use of the title before going into production or maybe it's no big deal, :)
A.  9/10.  Keep trying.  One day, you're bound to get 10/10.

B.  The early 80s show, at least the one I remember, was Lie Detector, singular.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »
B.  The early 80s show, at least the one I remember, was Lie Detector, singular.

If it did go before a judge, I'm pretty sure plural v. singular wouldn't be enough to get the case thrown out.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

That Don Guy

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 03:53:41 PM »
I can think of two shoes called Lie Detector - the ABC game show with Jim Peck, and the syndicated show with F. Lee Bailey (probably the most famous "contestant" was Evel Knievel, who passed when he said that he wasn't responsible for the parachute deploying early in his Snake River Canyon jump attempt) - and I don't remember either one using the plural in the title.

It also sounds like the BBC radio series Hoax, except that in that one, two of the panelists are telling the truth and one is lying.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 05:07:23 PM »
As Mike wrote in the first line of the page you linked, that set-up is hardly unique to Baloney either.
This reveals a hole in my knowledge space, but what shows had done that before? And if they're going to do this why not bring the foul-mouthed boozing puppets out of storage?
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »
I can think of two shoes called Lie Detector - the ABC game show with Jim Peck
That was Hot Seat. There was, however, a Lie Detector on PAX in the early-2000s. I think it lasted for all of an episode or two.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 06:16:19 PM »
This reveals a hole in my knowledge space, but what shows had done that before? And if they're going to do this why not bring the foul-mouthed boozing puppets out of storage?

In the general category of "which celeb is telling the truth?", I offhand had the aforementioned puppets, Trust Me, I'm a Game Show Host, Liars Club and Wordplay.  I'm sure there are others I'm not remembering.  Don mentioned the BBC radio show Hoax, and certainly there's a similar round in Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me.

Broadly speaking, it's also the device that drives the action in games like Battlestars, Break the Bank and shows of that type.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 06:44:44 PM »
And if they're going to do this why not bring the foul-mouthed boozing puppets out of storage?
You make it sound like they were a bad thing.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 07:13:25 PM »
A thousand pardons; it is the puppets of Avenue Q who are foul-mouthed, the puppets from Late Night Liars were merely lubricated.
Travis L. Eberle