Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Carol Burnett Password incident  (Read 27492 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Carol Burnett Password incident
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 09:34:27 PM »
It's very well possible that Carol is misinformed about that being the reason the show was shot in advance. If that picture is indeed from the episode in question, I have a hard time believing they'd still be shooting live in 1972 or '74, which according to IMDb, is when the Carol and Liz non-All Stars weeks aired.

Was this really worth the pissing match this devolved into? Jesus Christ.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 10:08:06 PM »
It's very well possible that Carol is misinformed about that being the reason the show was shot in advance. If that picture is indeed from the episode in question, I have a hard time believing they'd still be shooting live in 1972 or '74, which according to IMDb, is when the Carol and Liz non-All Stars weeks aired.

The point is this: if it comes down to Carol misremembering, then that's fine. But I don't consider the knee-jerk remarks of someone who takes far too much at face value to be the definitive source on whether or not a certain incident happened on a certain date. If it was someone with a little bit more reputablity, I doubt I or anyone else would've come down in that manner.

If Vahan is right after all, then I shall apologize. But at the same time, I think citing Wikia as your source (unless the person cites where he received the info from) is not the best way to start and I doubt that I would be the only one who feels that way.

I'll at least withdraw the "fanboy" statement, free of charge. That was a little much.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 10:16:59 PM »
Fair enough. That wasn't directed at any one person, for what it's worth.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 11:01:20 PM »

A thousand times this.  She's spinning a funny story.  May not have even happened, may have happened exactly that way, or most likely it's some combination of the two. 

You must be new here.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 11:18:10 PM »
If it helps, the guy who's writing a book about exactly this show can tell you, per the original director himself, "Password" was never live.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 11:45:08 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, every episode on the Password DVD set has a slate. That includes the 1st nighttime episode. So, I'll go with Adam and the original director on Password never being live.

Sometimes, the answer is right in front of you. Or in at the bottom of a plastic bin, which is where my DVD set currently sits. I should dig it out, it's been a while.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 12:33:39 AM »
You know folks... every time someone suggests we need to open this place to registrations again, I tell myself, "Now there's an idea worth supporting!"

And then a couple of days later we have a thread that devolves to what looks like Youtube comments, and I remind myself why new people would hate it here.

"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

dale_grass

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 12:35:19 AM »
And then a couple of days later we have a thread that devolves to what looks like Youtube comments

When exactly was the last time you perused YouTube comments?  Because we're remarkably civilized in comparison.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 12:41:50 AM »
And then a couple of days later we have a thread that devolves to what looks like Youtube comments

When exactly was the last time you perused YouTube comments?  Because we're remarkably civilized in comparison.
We're also 100% less racist and sexist.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 12:42:22 AM »

And don't have bot accounts trying to get you to click on spam links.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 12:47:05 AM »

Which reminds me, I have this website for cheap designer sunglasses that I've been DYING to tell y'all about...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 12:51:38 AM »
Sometimes, yes.  Sometimes no.  I think we have better grammar that Youtube, and everyone uses two hands to type.  Well, except for toetyper, but he's got a good excuse.

Mathematically, this would mean we are 0% racist and sexist.  No.  Just no.

Yeah, well, I suppose that's an argument in favor of not opening up to new accounts.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 01:04:17 AM »
You know folks... every time someone suggests we need to open this place to registrations again, I tell myself, "Now there's an idea worth supporting!"

And then a couple of days later we have a thread that devolves to what looks like Youtube comments, and I remind myself why new people would hate it here.
From some of the reactions of past threads, I'm not so sure the old people like it here that much either.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 01:25:03 AM »
Sometimes, yes.  Sometimes no.  I think we have better grammar that Youtube, and everyone uses two hands to type.  Well, except for toetyper, but he's got a good excuse.
The fact that many of us have revealed our names and our personalities leads me to think that we're not equivalent to Youtube; on YT I see lots of commenters who have a handle with numbers in the username, and it's easy to think of someone like that as some Random Internet Yinzer. When I know someone more than that (whether through Facebook, meeting in person or just the mutual affinity for game shows), that's a deeper connection than various people who comment on videos.
Travis L. Eberle

whewfan

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 05:53:38 AM »

Which reminds me, I have this website for cheap designer sunglasses that I've been DYING to tell y'all about...

You mean Blue Blockers? (Who remembers THOSE ads? They featured people that were supposedly not rehearsed... people off the street... especially the guy that did a RAP to Blue Blockers... couldn't have been prompted on how to respond... as Bill Cosby used to say, "Riiiight!"