Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Definitive Ranking Of “Price Is Right” Pricing Games  (Read 32652 times)

gamed121683

The Definitive Ranking Of “Price Is Right” Pricing Games
« on: January 30, 2015, 03:52:23 PM »
According to BuzzFeed writer, Adam Davis. Let the debate begin!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adamdavis/come-on-down#.xdg98bqPw0

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: The Definitive Ranking Of “Price Is Right” Pricing Games
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 04:09:21 PM »
Plus points for calling Contestant's Row, points off for "the Wheel and the Showcase Showdown." Gratuitous profanity is gratuitous.

List fails having Pick-a-Number ahead of Double Prices, Switch, One Right, and One Wrong.
Travis L. Eberle

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 04:14:47 PM »
According to BuzzFeed writer, Adam Davis. Let the debate begin!

I come down on the side of "don't click".
@lambertman

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 04:18:13 PM »
I wouldn't go that far: it's an OK read by someone who sounds like a normal television watcher instead of an obsessive or an "everything sucks!" snob, though I question the sensibility of trying to stack rank seventy-five disparate things. That said the actual writing leaves something to be desired. Aerobic with care if you do proceed.
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 04:43:27 PM »
I do enjoy how a complaint about their lowest ranked game, "Double Prices", is that there's rarely a big prize on offer; and the screengrab they use shows prices of $10k and $12k.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

SamJ93

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 05:23:35 PM »
Not only that, but they really couldn't be bothered to get shots of the updated Card and Clock Game sets? The new Card Game set livens up the proceedings considerably, IMO.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 08:13:57 PM »
The pictures credit CBS, so I wonder if they simply used stills offered by the network, or got the screenshots from the first YouTube episode they could find. Not that either would be necessarily wrong...there's also the possibility that the older setup is more familiar to viewers who haven't watched in a while.

Am I the only one who thinks the #1 game is a bit cliché, or is it just playing up to the game that's become synonymous with the show?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 08:22:00 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks the #1 game is a bit cliché, or is it just playing up to the game that's become synonymous with the show?
You're not alone, but there's good reason: there's probably three games that the average casual viewer associates with the show: Plinko, Hole in One and Cliff Hangers.  Having #1 as Plinko means he gets fewer angry e-mails or comments.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 09:21:01 PM »
You're not alone, but there's good reason: there's probably three games that the average casual viewer associates with the show: Plinko, Hole in One and Cliff Hangers.  Having #1 as Plinko means he gets fewer angry e-mails or comments.
I skipped right to the end to see if Plinko would be number one as usual. No shocker there.

Now Golden Road at #28 on the other hand...

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 09:28:09 PM »
The pictures credit CBS, so I wonder if they simply used stills offered by the network, or got the screenshots from the first YouTube episode they could find. Not that either would be necessarily wrong...there's also the possibility that the older setup is more familiar to viewers who haven't watched in a while.
It looks like some of the pictures he took off of the official site, some from CBS, and other from YT clips. I'd hope the guy would use the sniping tool instead of pointing and shooting his own camera, which leads me to believe he took the screen caps from a YouTuber who usually posts each game of each show individually with a point/shoot method. That's probably where he got most of these screenshots.

I feel as though Plinko was the mandatory #1, but I agree with Travis in that there'd be more outrage if it weren't in that position than if it were.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

BillCullen1

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 11:45:05 AM »
The biggest eye opener for me was Master Key at #3. The game with the biggest payoff, Pay The Rent was #38.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 01:25:47 PM »
The biggest eye opener for me was Master Key at #3. The game with the biggest payoff, Pay The Rent was #38.
Given some of the flaws many have pointed out here, I guess it just goes to show that a big payday offering doesn't necessarily make it awesome.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 03:34:15 PM »
Given that this is just one guys opinion -- a guy so ill-informed that he calls the final round the "Showcase Showdown" -- it's hard to get too worked up about his list.

Having said that, wouldn't it be interesting to put a "Top Ten Pricing Games" challenge out to our members, the way we ranked the all-time top game shows and hosts a few years ago?  Even more interesting would be to gather votes from Golden Road.  There's strength in numbers, and a weighted fan vote would go a long way toward establishing a far more "definitive" list.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 03:43:25 PM »
It would be just as interesting to see the results of this group alone, Golden-Road alone, and then the aggregate. I imagine they would be different, but there's no telling until you do. IMO, the votes on G-R could go to one of two extremes. There's a large group over there that tend to prefer the quirkier or older games, like Danger Price or Step Up, whereas another group is all about the games that give away the most.

I love how you can always count on the latter folks showing up in the daily recap thread. An episode was "good" if most of the prizes were won, and an episode is "bad" if they weren't.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 05:36:37 PM »
Given that this is just one guys opinion -- a guy so ill-informed that he calls the final round the "Showcase Showdown" -- it's hard to get too worked up about his list.
I'm guessing BuzzFeed pays for writing and not research. I'm not sure he's ill informed; but he's an ungreat writer.

Having said that, wouldn't it be interesting to put a "Top Ten Pricing Games" challenge out to our members, the way we ranked the all-time top game shows and hosts a few years ago?  Even more interesting would be to gather votes from Golden Road.  There's strength in numbers, and a weighted fan vote would go a long way toward establishing a far more "definitive" list.
I was thinking of this as well. What would be interesting about it is that everyone is entitled to have their reasons for liking a particular game and as long as a reason is given one opinion is worth as much as the next. I salute the board for not letting this thread devolve into reasons why whatever game is ranked wrong or other people posting their own stack rank.

It would be just as interesting to see the results of this group alone, Golden-Road alone, and then the aggregate. I imagine they would be different, but there's no telling until you do. IMO, the votes on G-R could go to one of two extremes. There's a large group over there that tend to prefer the quirkier or older games, like Danger Price or Step Up, whereas another group is all about the games that give away the most.
Isn't this their prerogative, though? Other than the fact that the latter group pollutes the recap thread, do you care one way or another?
Travis L. Eberle