Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Definitive Ranking Of “Price Is Right” Pricing Games  (Read 32669 times)

CJBojangles

Re: The Definitive Ranking Of “Price Is Right” Pricing Games
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2015, 12:03:27 PM »
Slight bump... The form is still live for those of you who wish to make a submission.

Interestingly, the frontrunner in each poll (the one here and over at G-R) is very different. The pricing game holding the top spot from this forum is currently ranked #6 on the other. Also, 36 of the 107 games haven't received any votes at all, 23 of which are in active rotation.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2015, 12:22:26 PM »
Since I'm not up on my terminology, what defines "in the active rotation"?  Are those only games that are played weekly or every other week?  Do those include games like Rat Race and Magic # which appear once a month?  How many games are in the active rotation?

SuperSweeper

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2015, 02:01:09 PM »
Since I'm not up on my terminology, what defines "in the active rotation"?  Are those only games that are played weekly or every other week?  Do those include games like Rat Race and Magic # which appear once a month?  How many games are in the active rotation?

The active rotation consists of all of the games that are still being played on the show, no matter how often they are played.  There are exactly 75 games in the active rotation.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2015, 06:22:53 PM »
Okay, that makes sense.  I thought the active rotation might be those games seen on a regular basis, not including games played maybe 3 times per year like Golden Road and Triple Play.  By active rotation, it's all active games.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2015, 10:26:43 PM »
Watching an Aussie "Price" the other day, I was reminded how they used a Bullseye-1-like game as their Showcase Showdown, which I thought was kind of brilliant.  Their rank-all-the-prizes-in-order Showcase game, on the other hand, was maddeningly difficult.
You call it maddeningly difficult. I call it great TV. I watch the Showcase now to guess the prices, but it's really not good TV when someone wins 9 times out of 10. Any Showcase round where a player plays against the house is A-OK with me.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2015, 10:35:34 PM »
You call it maddeningly difficult. I call it great TV. I watch the Showcase now to guess the prices, but it's really not good TV when someone wins 9 times out of 10. Any Showcase round where a player plays against the house is A-OK with me.
The fact that TnPIR was modeled on LMAD isn't lost on me, so it doesn't surprise me that the showcase round has winners more than it doesn't.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
I was reminded how they used a Bullseye-1-like game as their Showcase Showdown, which I thought was kind of brilliant.  Their rank-all-the-prizes-in-order Showcase game, on the other hand, was maddeningly difficult.

It just think Bullseye-1 and that Showdown aren't much fun. There's no skill, no strategy, just two people going back and forth, back and forth until ultimately one takes a stab at $36,482 instead of $36,483. I'd like it more if they displayed, say, 10 price tags (or, heck, five price tags and re-use that prop) covering a broad range of prices and the two took turns picking. At least there would be play-along value.

While crazy hard, the Aussie Showcase itself is a crazy huge amount to win, isn't it?

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2015, 05:10:56 PM »
For many years, it was just the standard showcase. It wasn't until later (03/04?) that they added a $500K condo. They then scrapped that for a six figure cash prize that normally took the showcase into the $200K range.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

CJBojangles

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2015, 08:13:38 PM »
While the number of responses may be a bit underwhelming, here are the results for those interested:

I'm still tabulating the results for Golden-Road, but I'll tell you there's a similar affinity for Super Ball. There's just something really fun about Bob Barker and skee-ball.

chrisholland03

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2015, 05:54:07 PM »
Pick-a-Pair would have rated higher had it retained its Ferris Wheel  :'(

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2015, 08:12:19 PM »
Ten Chances is a pleasant surprise to see on the top spot.  I also think this shows that the show is a lot fonder of Lucky Seven than the fans are.  Other than that, I'm not wildly surprised by anything, including that we as fans aren't super into Plinko.  I'll be interested in how the Golden Vote plays out.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.