Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Definitive Ranking Of “Price Is Right” Pricing Games  (Read 32658 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Re: The Definitive Ranking Of “Price Is Right” Pricing Games
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 05:45:44 PM »
IMO, the votes on G-R could go to one of two extremes. There's a large group over there that tend to prefer the quirkier or older games, like Danger Price or Step Up, whereas another group is all about the games that give away the most.
Isn't this their prerogative, though? Other than the fact that the latter group pollutes the recap thread, do you care one way or another?

No, I don't "care" so much as I was predicting their results based on what I read in their forums. I think the GSF vote would be less groupthink inclined.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 05:58:38 PM »
No, I don't "care" so much as I was predicting their results based on what I read in their forums.
I think this might be more fun than the original article. (And anyone who ranks Danger Price or Step Up highly is OK by me.)
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 06:51:17 PM »
Meh. It was a typical Buzzfeed article. Mostly fun to read and full of internet memes and phrases.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »
No, I don't "care" so much as I was predicting their results based on what I read in their forums.
I think this might be more fun than the original article. (And anyone who ranks Danger Price or Step Up highly is OK by me.)
I would love to see this happen if someone was willing to organize it.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 07:37:34 PM »
I would love to see this happen if someone was willing to organize it.
I'd be willing to compile the numbers for this board if we can find a counterpart to run it on G-R.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 09:13:46 PM »
Best comment in the comments section:

WHAT IS THE OBSESSION WITH PLINKO?! It's freaking horrendous. Every single time they make a big spectacle of it saying you can win FIFTY THOOOOUSAND DOLLARS!! But then the person climbs up the staiway to hell to drop their stupid little pucks into the $0, $1000, $500 and walk away with $2500 and shattered dreams. BY FAR THE MOST OVERRATED GAME OF ALL TIME.

For the most part, the list was okay. Obviously there's going to be some difference of opinion when ranking 70+items, but he's not far off for me. I appreciate him putting the quick decision pricing games at the bottom of his list.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 12:27:12 AM »
Yes, because getting called up to be in Contestants' Row and winning a chance to play Plinko is so much worse off.

I'd figure this: if you asked a bunch of random people on the street what their desire would be if they were fortunate enough to be there and in that situation (and had full control over it), the two answers you'd hear most often would be "to play for a car" or "to play Plinko".

And for the record, I find a double overbid in the Showcase to be a much larger downer when I watch than someone not winning five figures on Plinko.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 09:01:12 PM »
Yes, because getting called up to be in Contestants' Row and winning a chance to play Plinko is so much worse off.
I think the point there (though you can never be sure because internet commenters) is that Plinko is a game of feast or famine; either you win $10,000 or more, or you don't.

I'd figure this: if you asked a bunch of random people on the street what their desire would be if they were fortunate enough to be there and in that situation (and had full control over it), the two answers you'd hear most often would be "to play for a car" or "to play Plinko".
I think that what we've learned here is that the internet is not random folks.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 07:41:31 AM »
I think the point there (though you can never be sure because internet commenters) is that Plinko is a game of feast or famine; either you win $10,000 or more, or you don't.

True. On both statements (Plinko being feast/famine and commenters being commenters...for lack of a better term).

Plinko can certainly be criticized for certain aspects, especially about how much blind-assed luck plays a factor (as in probably moreso than just about any other game with a couple exceptions, and that's saying something), but it's far from the most overrated (I could think of three, maybe four, that could get a better argument and will share if you'd like).

I think that what we've learned here is that the internet is not random folks.

Understatement, again. But going back to your point about commentaries on the Internet, I raise the following: far too many have the idea that their opinion counts more than anyone else's (hence why so many bloggers seem like they talk down to their audience).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SamJ93

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »

Plinko can certainly be criticized for certain aspects, especially about how much blind-assed luck plays a factor (as in probably moreso than just about any other game with a couple exceptions, and that's saying something), but it's far from the most overrated (I could think of three, maybe four, that could get a better argument and will share if you'd like).

I think I'd argue that said blind luck is exactly WHY the game is so popular.  People generally like getting money for nothing (and the chicks for free...) 

Understatement, again. But going back to your point about commentaries on the Internet, I raise the following: far too many have the idea that their opinion counts more than anyone else's (hence why so many bloggers seem like they talk down to their audience).

I didn't get a talking-down-to vibe from this article.  I definitely got a "trying-way-too-hard-to-sound-hip-and-with-it-like-the-young-peoples-today" vibe, though.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

chrisholland03

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 03:35:40 PM »
I've yet to see a contestant walk off stage because they don't like the game and/or prizes being offered.

(although that would be an amazing stunt)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 06:06:49 PM »
I've yet to see a contestant walk off stage because they don't like the game and/or prizes being offered.
The closest I've seen was a contestant that played Race Game.  He flat out told Bob the "prizes were nice, but he doesn't need them".  He was booed heartily.

/world champs

--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 06:13:15 PM »
but it's far from the most overrated (I could think of three, maybe four, that could get a better argument and will share if you'd like).
I'm interested; what do you think they are, and by what measure?
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 06:14:28 PM »
/world champs
Yeah, just sneak that in there.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 08:12:35 PM »
/world champs

Only because the Seahawks took pity on you.

/That's actually a better explanation for that pass than anything else I've heard.