Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fremantle launching game show digital channel  (Read 55026 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Fremantle launching game show digital channel
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2015, 01:32:08 AM »
I think most of us knew what Jaimal meant...
If it means Dale asks fewer silly questions is that so bad?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2015, 01:35:21 AM »
I think most of us knew what Jaimal meant...
If it means Dale asks fewer silly questions is that so bad?

I think the approach was a misfire is all. I would rather not see sarcasm wasted on something that didn't need it.

My opinion, YMMV.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

dale_grass

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »
I think the approach was a misfire is all.

It was a misfire.  I meant to poke fun but it came out too clunky.  I'll blame the late hour.

jimlangefan

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2015, 04:43:57 PM »
I think the approach was a misfire is all.

It was a misfire.  I meant to poke fun but it came out too clunky.  I'll blame the late hour.

But was it necessary in the first place?  A question was asked and I had the info to answer.  I don't think I did anything to warrant that unless I missed something.
TV's Big Dealer

dale_grass

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2015, 06:44:30 PM »
But was it necessary in the first place? I don't think I did anything to warrant that unless I missed something.

Poking fun is never necessary. 

I don't think I did anything to warrant that unless I missed something.

I have no problem with you or what you said, just that the first sentence was technically wrong and the second was written with an ambiguous pronoun that sounded funny when taken in tandem with the first sentence.

jimlangefan

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2015, 09:19:13 PM »
I'll give you that.
TV's Big Dealer

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2015, 09:52:34 PM »
I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that FremantleMedia owns, among the Carruthers properties, only Press Your Luck and that the rest are held by co-producer Warner Bros. TV (not that the other Carruthers titles are, as obscure as they are, likely to be exploited now or in the future).

As for the subchannel itself: even if a Huntsville station picks it up, it's highly-unlikely-to-impossible that I'll ever get to see it, due to the house location's RF reception problems (in a valley, with a tree-covered hill between us and the towers on Monte Sano; CW affil WHDF has its tower in a different, less-obscured location), the lack of a working antenna, the lack of cable on our street, and Dish (likely for capacity reasons) not carrying subchannels at all.  Oh well...
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2015, 01:08:28 PM »
 Wow, way to think real positive.  ::)
insert signature here

TimK2003

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2015, 02:11:54 PM »
I know it probably won't happen, but I love it if Fremantle were to add a new version of Password (using the current Jimmy Fallon motif) to their diginet lineup, but use the original rules, be a little more serious on the game play and have slightly more modest cash payouts.  NBC and Fremantle could cross-promote their late night show and Buzzr properties respectively (although with Fox O&Os as part of the initial startup stations carrying the subchannel, that may not fly to well). 

I'm sure NBC has a few favors they owe to Fremantle in exchange for the use of their Password property on Fallon's shows over the years.

Thunder

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2015, 02:00:23 AM »
You can take the word "probably" out of that sentence and still be correct.

snowpeck

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2015, 01:17:01 PM »
Here's a new article on the project: http://www.tvinsider.com/article/212/retro-game-shows-find-a-new-network-home

Some relevant passages:

The only costs to FremantleMedia are residual paychecks for the game shows’ hosts and the fees to convert the episodes to digital.  “Since we own all the product, the cost of programming is next to nothing,” says Thom Beers, CEO of FremantleMedia North America. “It’s a beautiful model. We only have one competitor [GSN]. That’s not a bad place to be.”

GSN licenses roughly 1,500 episodes from FremantleMedia, which leaves the rest for Buzzr. “Why not monetize it all?” Beers says. At launch, shows will include Family Feud with former hosts Richard Dawson, Ray Combs, Louie Anderson, Richard Karn and John O’Hurley; Let’s Make a Deal with Monty Hall, and episodes of To Tell the Truth, Password, Match Game, Beat the Clock, What’s My Line and Card Sharks. FremantleMedia may also program reality shows with a competition element. But don’t expect to see old episodes of American Idol on the channel; clearing the music on that show would be too expensive.

In order to introduce a younger generation to some of these titles, FremantleMedia will also produce online versions of games such as Password, featuring YouTube talent. Those episodes might later become an on-air Buzzr programming block. “We walk in with a very clear programming strategy,” Beers says of Buzzr’s 100% game lineup.

Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

BrandonFG

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2015, 01:34:28 PM »
I love and hate this part...
In order to introduce a younger generation to some of these titles, FremantleMedia will also produce online versions of games such as Password, featuring YouTube talent. Those episodes might later become an on-air Buzzr programming block. “We walk in with a very clear programming strategy,” Beers says of Buzzr’s 100% game lineup.

Love the idea of introducing younger viewers to older shows. Hate the way they're going about doing so (see Youtube episodes for reference). That said, I'd love to see a daytime block of original shows, or even an hour-long show that has contestants playing a variety of classic shows (similar to Game Show Marathon or Sabado Gigante), but minus the 70s kitsch. Air it from, say, from 10-11 or 12...would be a nice alternative, esp. if Fremantle revives anything else for syndication but some markets don't clear the show (e.g. Celebrity Name Game).

/Longshot, but would love for the obscure Canadian LMAD to make it into the mix
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2015, 01:55:40 PM »
If they're smart, they offer a Roku channel (or other online feed) for people who aren't in the Fox O&O markets.

/pleasebesmartpleasebesmartpleasebesmartpleasebesmart
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2015, 03:25:27 PM »
I love and hate this part...

Love the idea of introducing younger viewers to older shows. Hate the way they're going about doing so (see Youtube episodes for reference). That said, I'd love to see a daytime block of original shows, or even an hour-long show that has contestants playing a variety of classic shows (similar to Game Show Marathon or Sabado Gigante), but minus the 70s kitsch. Air it from, say, from 10-11 or 12...would be a nice alternative, esp. if Fremantle revives anything else for syndication but some markets don't clear the show (e.g. Celebrity Name Game).

/Longshot, but would love for the obscure Canadian LMAD to make it into the mix
Excluding one of the biggest titles in their library (Price) makes me think they aren't going to bother at all or are trying to figure out which episodes they can and cannot air.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

BrandonFG

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2015, 05:20:17 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they at least start off with the Carey episodes, since they now have seven years and change to work with. I'm sure they could still find enough Barker episodes without furs, should they decide to do so.

Hard to believe it's been 15 years...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!