Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fremantle launching game show digital channel  (Read 55349 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Re: Fremantle launching game show digital channel
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 03:22:48 PM »
Dear BUZZR TV: Please, please, PLEASE pony up the costs for having the 2-inch-quad tapes of 1975's Spin-Off with Jim Lange digitized, then put them on your network!
With a library of over 40,000 episodes that Fremantle has to pay very little in the way of fees, why would they pick some obscure 13-week show and pay the transfer costs for a crappy format that very few people remember?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:04:18 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

snowpeck

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 03:27:37 PM »
By the way, is there any reason to believe at this point Fremantle won't use the non-G/T shows they own? LMAD has been mentioned in the press releases. They also own the Carruthers library (which does anything exist in its entirety besides PYL?) and the Grundy library.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

daveromanjr

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 03:40:25 PM »
I hope some of the non Fox O&O's end up picking this... specifically Pittsburgh's Sinclair-owned WPGH

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »
why would Fremantle pick some obscure 13-week show and pay the transfer costs for a crappy format that very few people remember?
Because he wants it and it isn't his money being spent.
Travis L. Eberle

Sodboy13

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 04:03:52 PM »
Dear BUZZR TV: Please, please, PLEASE pony up the costs for having the 2-inch-quad tapes of 1975's Spin-Off with Jim Lange digitized, then put them on your network!

Thanks for your call! We'll try to get that one on the air for you real soon.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BillCullen1

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »
It's not April Fools Day, so this must be legit. I'm guessing this also means should they decide to run old shows of Barker's TPIR on Monty's LMAD, there's nothing CBS head Les Moonves can do about it.

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to this...at least eventually. I don't think our FOX station has a subchannel, but it would be a very welcome addition in due time.

It's time to let this one go. I doubt anyone outside this forum knows what it is, and the OP said Fremantle shows, which I don't believe this was.

Fond childhood memory does not mean it has rerun value, esp. if literally only 0.001% of the U.S. population knows what Spin-Off was.

/I think that's right
//Majored in journalism for this reason
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 04:56:13 PM »
Wolfram Alpha sez that's about 3,200 people, which is close enough. Impressive, Snake.
Travis L. Eberle

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 05:20:13 PM »
...Wow. This is in fact news I can use.

Hopefully Debmar-Mercury can get this out to more of the country, as I'd happily pony up for a basic cable package (I don't really have a solid over-the-air antenna) for this. :)
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 06:30:20 PM »
Wolfram Alpha sez that's about 3,200 people, which is close enough. Impressive, Snake.
Excellent, thanks. That settles that. :-)

Back to the new channel, an OTA channel is great, although I figured a streaming channel would happen first, on Roku or Apple TV, et al. The OTA is much better though since it's free. ;-P

Also kinda thought one of the older OTA channels would air reruns of a game show first, something more recent (say, the last 5-10 years).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 06:56:20 PM »
^Technically, that's already happened on Bounce.
@lambertman

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 07:17:37 PM »
Ooh, forgot about Bounce.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 07:20:58 PM »
...Wow. This is in fact news I can use.

Hopefully Debmar-Mercury can get this out to more of the country, as I'd happily pony up for a basic cable package (I don't really have a solid over-the-air antenna) for this. :)

My gut reaction to this that you should pony up for a solid over-the-air antenna.  Something seriously like an omni-directional in the $60 - $100 range.  Then again, I live two miles from downtown.  YMMV.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

weaklink75

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 08:43:33 PM »
Here's the Fox O&O markets:

Atlanta
Austin
Charlotte
Chicago
Dallas
Detroit
Houston
LA
Minneapolis
NYC
Orlando/Gainsville
Philadelphia
Phoenix
San Francisco
Tampa
Washington DC

So it's a good start (When we get closer to a start date, I might think about getting an antenna- I'm in the DC market). Maybe after NATPE we'll see some other markets come in.

I do wonder what this will do to GSN in the long run- admittedly they don't have a lot of Fremantle material on now, but they probably have enough sources to work with even if they lost access to the library.

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 09:20:26 PM »
Pretty excited to hear this news. Get the best of both worlds, as I do like some of GSN's current content, and we get more of the classics elsewhere. I do fear it means some shows will get lost in the shuffle for a long time, if not forever, where they'll join the B&E library and most of Stewart in the dustbins. Who knows. None of us completely, that's for sure.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now