Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Survey taker help wanted!  (Read 7082 times)

gamed121683

Survey taker help wanted!
« on: January 19, 2015, 06:08:55 PM »
A friend of mine is preparing a Family Feud event at his job at the end of next month and we're looking for people to help take our survey. If you're interested, click on the links to our two-part questionnaire below and let your voice be heard: 

PART 1: http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/survey-ray/family-feud-style-survey-jan-15-part-1/

PART 2: http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/survey-ray/family-feud-style-survey-jan-15-part-2/

Thanks for your time and if anyone out there has any advice on how to get more people to take these things, let us know!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:21:27 PM by gamed121683 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Survey taker help wanted!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »
The survey creator forfeits the right to be surprised at the answers on a question even with the added language of "Careful...this IS a family show." Don't want naughty answers, don't write questions that invite them.
Travis L. Eberle

dale_grass

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:32:41 PM »
The survey creator forfeits the right to be surprised at the answers on a question even with the added language of "Careful...this IS a family show."

Strictly speaking, it isn't even that.  It's for an 'event' at somebody's job, with no specifics given.  High school teachers?  Insurance salesman? Nuns?  Context would help steer the answers in whatever direction the creator wants.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »
Strictly speaking, it isn't even that.  It's for an 'event' at somebody's job, with no specifics given.  High school teachers?  Insurance salesman? Nuns?  Context would help steer the answers in whatever direction the creator wants.
I'm not sure context would mean anything. Question toward the end of the second page: "Name something Kim Kardashian is famous for doing?" With the instruction to remember that it is a family show I leave the answer space blank because I don't know if my answer of "forgets to turn off the camcorder" will be acceptable, or lumped in with the other equivalents for Doing That, and my assumption of Doing That would be deemed family-unfriendly, so I don't bother.

Would the question be given the same qualifier when played for reals? Because I can imagine lots of not-very-nice answers that would award strikes because the respondents were told to not go there. And if the question does play with the qualifier I think it becomes 100% less interesting.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 11:29:30 PM »
"Name something Kim Kardashian is famous for doing?"

"Kanye."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

geno57

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 02:48:26 AM »
And Chris Lemon wins the Internets.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 09:26:20 AM »
"Name something Kim Kardashian is famous for doing?"
When in doubt, the safe answer is always "Nothing."
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 08:47:48 PM »
I'll put myself out there. It's for me. My high school is running the event.

But here's the honest truth. We know that no matter how hard we try, some of these surveys are going to suggest the possibility of risqué answers. It's part of what both Feud and our "cultured" minds have become in this day and age. So if that's happens and the dirty answer makes it on the board, guys, then so be it.

Just be honest on these as you would anywhere else. We will operate as accordingly as we have to.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 01:38:01 AM »
An occasional risque answer making it on the board (and if it is for a school event I would exercise editorial control over the material) is different than a question that invites a flood of risque answers that are not appropriate for the event. With so many good or great Feud questions out in the wild, why stoop to use the lousy one?
Travis L. Eberle

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 10:07:11 AM »
You're absolutely right, we probably would not use that question. Keep in mind, in the meantime, that there are other functions these things may get used for between what Gamed might plan in the future and what I might have. And those places may have not have such a problem with those kind of answers.

If anything, this just shows the times we live in and how much our minds turn everything into gutter material if you're worried about that many questions having this problem. *shrug*
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »
You're absolutely right, we probably would not use that question. Keep in mind, in the meantime, that there are other functions these things may get used for between what Gamed might plan in the future and what I might have. And those places may have not have such a problem with those kind of answers.
I was not aware that the questions would be used for multiple events because that wasn't mentioned; there was just the note of "family show!" on a single question that put up my antennae.

If anything, this just shows the times we live in and how much our minds turn everything into gutter material if you're worried about that many questions having this problem. *shrug*
It wasn't "that many" questions, it was a single obvious question at the end of the second survey.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 08:48:33 PM »
it was a single obvious question at the end of the second survey.

Which I noticed wasn't worded the way you called it out earlier. It said "Name something Kim Kardashian is famous for?" where you said "Name something Kim Kardashian is famous for doing?", and honestly the innuendo is greater with your version than the one in the survey.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 10:16:47 PM »
Which I noticed wasn't worded the way you called it out earlier. It said "Name something Kim Kardashian is famous for?" where you said "Name something Kim Kardashian is famous for doing?", and honestly the innuendo is greater with your version than the one in the survey.
That's interesting, because I remember doing a cut&paste to make sure I got the wording right. That does improve the question (I'd say it's better than some of the sophomoric tripe that our version of The Chase would put out) because now if someone says "she made a sex tape" you can deal with that as it comes up because it's a possibility after Naming her kid after a compass direction, her dad freed OJ, having a TV show, and so on. (and given the amount of questions in the packet, who is to say that it even makes it into a game, I'm just questioning that it is in the pool.)

I remember having a huge pool of questions for Microsoft Feud and didn't have trouble picking out fifty for a five-game strap, and not a one of them made me embarrassed to ask it. When my Mom was teaching English as a second language she would "borrow" whatever new version of the Feud box game I owned and take it with her to class to play, and she would edit accordingly. There's lots of ways to be thought-provoking or funny without resorting to prurience.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 01:42:48 PM »
That's interesting, because I remember doing a cut&paste to make sure I got the wording right.

You may have, and Brian may have taken your comments to heart and changed the question. Certainly that wording invites more answers like "her TV show", "fashion design", "her huge ass" then the "doing" verbiage does.

"she made a sex tape"

I would fully expect that to come up and make the survey, but that's okay because, yes, she *is* famous for that, as opposed to "doing" "whatever isn't nailed down."

There's lots of ways to be thought-provoking or funny without resorting to prurience.

Seems like a decent rule of thumb is "the way this question is worded, can someone answer 'yermom' and it doesn't sound too terribly contrived? If so, rethink the wording."