Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale update  (Read 30177 times)

chad1m

Re: $ale update
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2015, 04:35:57 PM »
I was incredibly sarcastic and added the spoiler tag to try be more helpful to those who feel like I do. Sure, I know about the more "name" champions and am aware this is a 30-year-old show. But I also grew up without tape trading and the airings on USA being ingrained in my memory, so I've been hoping to avoid too much information. I had seen hardly a handful of episodes of the program before it appeared on GSN. Yes, I will still watch because Sale is a fine program, but my enjoyment does get lessened when I know how the next two weeks are going to go.

chrisholland03

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2015, 06:54:13 PM »
Watching the GSN episodes, and converting some daytime episodes for a friend, I've noticed that frequently the cars are being supplied by LCS Financial -- which I believe is a repossession/short-sale company (of dubious reputation).  Were they really giving away used, repossessed vehicles?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2015, 08:21:41 PM »
Watching the GSN episodes, and converting some daytime episodes for a friend, I've noticed that frequently the cars are being supplied by LCS Financial -- which I believe is a repossession/short-sale company (of dubious reputation).  Were they really giving away used, repossessed vehicles?

Certainly there is more than one company named LCS Financial in the world.

Besides the point, weren't the dealerships credited, or am I missing something?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2015, 09:22:36 PM »
Certainly there is more than one company named LCS Financial in the world.

Besides the point, weren't the dealerships credited, or am I missing something?

The "credited" dealership was LCS Financial, not Joe-Bob Chevrolet.  Like, Jay said "furnished by LCS Financial Corporation".

They seemed to be using them quite a bit, and in some cases where they aren't using them, they don't have any dealership credited.  For example, in the episode where Alan has reduced the board to $10,000 and Car, there was no dealership credit, either verbally or in the end-credits, suggesting that if he had won the Jeep on offer, it would have been unsponsored.

Given when the show was likely shot, and given that they don't list the model year in describing the vehicles, what I bet happened (and this is complete and utter speculation) is that LCS picked up some 1-year old, unsold "new" vehicles that were destined to be fleet cars and tried to flip them at their dealership.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

PYLdude

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2015, 04:23:44 AM »
Given when the show was likely shot, and given that they don't list the model year in describing the vehicles, what I bet happened (and this is complete and utter speculation) is that LCS picked up some 1-year old, unsold "new" vehicles that were destined to be fleet cars and tried to flip them at their dealership.

Honestly, that's not too wacky of a speculation as you might think. I could totally understand that being the reasoning and that it was overstock they dealt in and not necessarily repos.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Pyramid80

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2015, 10:59:39 AM »
How many episodes of $ale were produced for they syndicated run?  Just curious how many more are left before GSN potentially starts over with the current leased episodes.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2015, 11:11:54 AM »
How many episodes of $ale were produced for they syndicated run?  Just curious how many more are left before GSN potentially starts over with the current leased episodes.

270, according to one individual who told me recently that he has every Syndie episode from USA Network, but never got to convert his recordings from analog to digital.

Greg Brobeck told me in a PM that the USA Network lease consisted of 120 daytime episodes (around August 1988 to March 1989) and all 270 episodes of the Syndie edition for a total of 390 episodes.

aaron sica

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2015, 12:13:56 PM »

270, according to one individual who told me recently that he has every Syndie episode from USA Network, but never got to convert his recordings from analog to digital.

Greg Brobeck told me in a PM that the USA Network lease consisted of 120 daytime episodes (around August 1988 to March 1989) and all 270 episodes of the Syndie edition for a total of 390 episodes.

Who told you 270? I'm not sure that number is right...

Bryce L.

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2015, 01:39:55 PM »

Who told you 270? I'm not sure that number is right...
Might actually be spot on, since S-270 would be May 30, 1986, barring any more weeks off between S-181 (February 27, 1986, which GSN aired today) and May 30.

snowpeck

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2015, 06:43:54 PM »
What I said was that USA's lease, per Variety articles, was 390 episodes. So if the 270 number is right, that would leave 120 daytime shows.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

PYLdude

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
What I said was that USA's lease, per Variety articles, was 390 episodes. So if the 270 number is right, that would leave 120 daytime shows.

And the daytime show portion of that lease, if I remember, didn't include the first WBMG played for fifty grand, right? I know it included the second.

splinkynip

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2015, 08:32:49 PM »
I think there may have been less than 270 syndicated... maybe 230 total?  I guess we'll see how far GSN gets to...

I seem to recall when watching the original airings on WABC that they went into reruns in March of 1986 and never aired new ones again.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2015, 11:36:25 PM »
For the record, this is the post Vahan was referring to, from Game Show Paradise. Relevant portions quoted below (the part I cut out is a spoiler regarding the nighttime Winner's Board era):

Quote from: salephreak
I have every episode of Sale of the Century USA aired on videotape. Unfortunately, I am not on the trading circuit because I have not had time in the last 20 years to trade, nor have I had another device to connect to my VCR.
[...]
By my count of shows in my collection, the second season of syndicated Sale of the Century had 34 weeks.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

PYLdude

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2015, 12:29:43 AM »
For the record, this is the post Vahan was referring to, from Game Show Paradise. Relevant portions quoted below (the part I cut out is a spoiler regarding the nighttime Winner's Board era):

I have every episode of Sale of the Century USA aired on videotape. Unfortunately, I am not on the trading circuit because I have not had time in the last 20 years to trade, nor have I had another device to connect to my VCR.
[...]
By my count of shows in my collection, the second season of syndicated Sale of the Century had 34 weeks.

Which by my count wouldn't have taken the second season very far into May 1986, if it was indeed 34....when did season 2 premiere?

Bryce L.

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2015, 12:44:44 AM »

[...]
Which by my count wouldn't have taken the second season very far into May 1986, if it was indeed 34....when did season 2 premiere?
September 16, 1985, by mine and Dan's guide.