Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale update  (Read 30481 times)

Thunder

Re: $ale update
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 09:36:10 PM »
Heck yeah, it's more exciting. I gladly admit that... but I personally don't like it.

>>>

Yes, there's risk and yes there will be champions who push a step too far and win just the front game prizes. That is the same as a contestant who is wrong on Millionaire as well.

O_o

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 10:08:29 PM »
Did you have something to add, Boggleface? In both cases, the contestant risks and loses something they had previously. Just like on Card Sharks, or Let's Make a Deal.
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 10:54:01 PM »
Not at all, sir. Not at all. :D

ivoryman1986

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2015, 01:03:49 AM »
Just to remind everybody that the next $ale episode is the start of Alan Cevidnik's run. We've seen the opening and closing of Alan's 8th episode, the opening and closing of that episode can be on WREYtube's(Frank Rey) account, but we've also seen his 9th episode on catnap's original YT account as well. I bet catnap still has that particualar episode in his collection since his copy is from a USA airing, but the closing was cut off. Yes, it's been over 2 decades since we've seen any episodes between Tim Holleran's Lot win and the 2nd week of the Winner's Board era and we're finally seeing them again.

chad1m

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 12:18:27 PM »
Just to remind everybody that the next $ale episode is the start of Alan Cevidnik's run.
Hey, thanks for that, especially for people like me for whom this whole Sale acquisition has been like a new series to them.

dale_grass

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2015, 01:27:05 PM »
Just to remind everybody that the next $ale episode is the start of Alan Cevidnik's run.
Hey, thanks for that, especially for people like me for whom this whole Sale acquisition has been like a new series to them.

Don't be mad at him.  At this point I assume he just opens a thread, places his hands on the home row of the keyboard, and goes into a dissociative fugue, only to awaken a few minutes later standing in the kitchen holding a half-eaten apple, unaware of how he got there as he takes another bite.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2015, 01:37:30 PM »
I can't tell if Chad is mad or genuinely thankful.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2015, 01:46:26 PM »
I can't speak from him, but I can say that I would be genuinely annoyed if I was watching episodes of something for the first time and someone spilled the beans on the next 10 episodes or however many shows comprise a run.  Completely takes the thrill out of watching knowing who won going in.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:03:05 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dale_grass

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2015, 01:50:14 PM »
I can't speak from him, but I can say that I would be genuinely annoyed if I was watching episodes of something for the first time and someone spilled the beans on the next 10 episodes or however many shows comprise a run. 

I have a strong inkling Travis was being sarcastic, since it's blatantly obvious Chad was being sarcastic.  I, on the other hand, am genuinely worried about how often ivoryman1986 slips in and out of consciousness while posting on this board.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2015, 01:58:10 PM »
When I was watching Michael's run, I made sure to avoid spoilers to see exactly how it had ended.

Am I missing something? If someone starts off a spoiler tag with "the next $ale episode is...", doesn't that revoke my right to annoyed that the person spoiled me? I mean I thought that was one of the great things about spoiler tags?
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »
I can't speak from him, but I can say that I would be genuinely annoyed if I was watching episodes of something for the first time and someone spilled the beans on the next 10 episodes or however many shows comprise a run.  Completely takes the thrill out of watching knowing who won going in.
I can see two sides to it; wanting to be able to enjoy the episodes that the viewer hasn't seen before and having that spoiled by someone whose intentions we cannot possibly know. The other side of that coin is that the episodes are nearly thirty years old at this point. Discussing them means that details and results are going to be revealed, and care should be taken when reading things here. Plus Sale of the Century is so good that I would watch the show knowing what happened anyway because the whole package is excellent.

To JJ's question: When you saw the episode where Michael is playing for Prizes and $71,000 and one of his challengers is Alice from Arizona, did you realize the jig was up? Chad's point is that the spoiler tag is ruined by the information that comes after it; if I say "Hey everyone, John Hatton's Blockbusters run starts today and as we all know he won ten matches and $60,000," those who didn't know that were in fact spoiled, whether I meant to be helpful or a jerky-jerkface from Jerktown.
Travis L. Eberle

dale_grass

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2015, 02:40:58 PM »
Wait, now I'm confused.  Ivory's post had no spoiler tags.  Also, the current discussion was on different formats, and then blammo, a spoiler.  Mind you, I don't really care about having 30-year-old game show episodes spoiled, but I can see how such a point would grate people.

Plus Sale of the Century is so good that I would watch the show knowing what happened anyway because the whole package is excellent.

Ditto here with The Chase.

snowpeck

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2015, 02:42:48 PM »
When I was watching Michael's run, I made sure to avoid spoilers to see exactly how it had ended.

Am I missing something? If someone starts off a spoiler tag with "the next $ale episode is...", doesn't that revoke my right to annoyed that the person spoiled me? I mean I thought that was one of the great things about spoiler tags?
Except that ivoryman1986 didn't use a spoiler tag. Chad added it when he quoted the original post.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2015, 02:47:57 PM »

Except that ivoryman1986 didn't use a spoiler tag. Chad added it when he quoted the original post.
Ah, now I see it. I was indeed missing something.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2015, 02:56:11 PM »
All the more reason to ignore members who have a propensity to reveal sensitive information that you don't want to know.
Travis L. Eberle