Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Female Game show hosts?  (Read 30110 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Female Game show hosts?
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2004, 10:38:37 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 02:36 PM\'] [quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 02:30 PM\'] [quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 08:31 PM\']Hmm. There's one woman, I can't think of her name...hmm...I know it's Vanna something. :P[/quote]
Vanna Stafford, I believe.

If we're going to count them (Ms. White and Susan), and I believe we should, we also have to count all of the substitute letter-revealers over the years. (No, I cannot list them.) [/quote]
The only one I can remember is Summer Barthomolew, for obvious reasons. :-) [/quote]
 I'm curious about Brandon's signature.  Was there actually a "dying boy" as a guest?  And if so--what were the circumstances?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Female Game show hosts?
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2004, 12:03:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 10:38 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 02:36 PM\'] [quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 13 2004, 02:30 PM\'] [quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 08:31 PM\']Hmm. There's one woman, I can't think of her name...hmm...I know it's Vanna something. :P[/quote]
Vanna Stafford, I believe.

If we're going to count them (Ms. White and Susan), and I believe we should, we also have to count all of the substitute letter-revealers over the years. (No, I cannot list them.) [/quote]
The only one I can remember is Summer Barthomolew, for obvious reasons. :-) [/quote]
I'm curious about Brandon's signature.  Was there actually a "dying boy" as a guest?  And if so--what were the circumstances? [/quote]
 Nope...it's a quote from Family Guy. The whole setup is that Peter (father) pretends his son Chris is dying to get their favorite TV show back on the air. They go to the "Make A Wish" organization, where the representative tells them they need a kid they can market, "just like that one boy we put on Hollywood Squares." That led to the quote I use. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChuckNet

Female Game show hosts?
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2004, 03:17:00 PM »
Nancy Jones did a turn at the puzzle board on a few syndicated episodes, with Pat, Vanna, and Charlie O attempting to solve the puzzle for money for an audience member IIRC.

When did these eps air?

Chuck Donegan (The Curious "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

Female Game show hosts?
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2004, 08:00:15 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 03:17 PM\']
Nancy Jones did a turn at the puzzle board on a few syndicated episodes, with Pat, Vanna, and Charlie O attempting to solve the puzzle for money for an audience member IIRC.

When did these eps air?

Chuck Donegan (The Curious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Early 90s, I recall seeing them during the Summer reruns, but not during the first-runs the season that it aired(they must have been using these spots to replace references to a home contest or something along those lines)

TimK2003

Female Game show hosts?
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2004, 08:03:34 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 02:54 AM\'] I know we are probably still trying to erase any memory of this, but....to make it quick and painless...*AHEM* BeccaGrantonThroutandNeck
 [/quote]
 I'm suprised that no one has mentioned the token Canadian host, er...Co-host from Super Pay Cards:

Mary Lou Bossa Nova...er,
Mary Lou Bachleva...er,
Mary Lou Bassama O. Laden...er,
Mary Lou Bus Your Own Table...er,
Mary Lou Boss Jocks of KHJ...er,
Mary Lou Baskin-Robbins...Aw heck,

Mary Lou, the Crock Pot lady...

zachhoran

Female Game show hosts?
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2004, 08:07:43 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 08:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 02:54 AM\'] I know we are probably still trying to erase any memory of this, but....to make it quick and painless...*AHEM* BeccaGrantonThroutandNeck
 [/quote]
I'm suprised that no one has mentioned the token Canadian host, er...Co-host from Super Pay Cards:

Mary Lou Bachleva...er,

Mary Lou, the Crock Pot lady... [/quote]
 If we add people that appeared on a Canadian show seen in the US due to content laws, we can add Marilyn Smith and Jane McDougall from Love Me Love Me Not(ROss Shafer is from Seattle), and Dusty Martell from the 1987 Lingo, and Jennifer Lyall from the Last Word.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Female Game show hosts?
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2004, 09:37:39 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 06:07 PM\'] If we add people that appeared on a Canadian show seen in the US due to content laws, we can add Marilyn Smith and Jane McDougall from Love Me Love Me Not(ROss Shafer is from Seattle), and Dusty Martell from the 1987 Lingo, and Jennifer Lyall from the Last Word. [/quote]
 Hell, we might as well, we've pretty much added everyone else by now.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

Female Game show hosts?
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2004, 01:06:53 PM »
Marilyn Smith also did "Wild Guess," which aired in the U.S. on Animal Planet and Discovery Kids (and no relation to the "Electric Company" bit with your host Bess Wess).

JamesVipond

Female Game show hosts?
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2004, 01:34:47 PM »
No one has yet mentioned Lynne Thigpen (1948-2003) from the Carmen Sandiego shows on PBS. She was probably the first black woman to have a daily speaking role on a U.S. game show. I never found her attractive, but she did know geography.
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play

Matt Ottinger

Female Game show hosts?
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2004, 02:48:53 PM »
[quote name=\'JamesVipond\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 02:34 PM\'] No one has yet mentioned Lynne Thigpen (1948-2003) from the Carmen Sandiego shows on PBS. She was probably the first black woman to have a daily speaking role on a U.S. game show. [/quote]
 You might have to give that honor to Leslie Uggams, who co-hosted Fantasy with Peter Marshall.  The neverending argument about what is or isn't a game show notwithstanding, Uggams at least deserves a mention in this thread for her role in this audience participation show that had many game elements in it.

Also, as long as we're in the "no one's mentioned yet" stage of a long thread, I don't think I've seen Louise Duart mentioned for Rodeo Drive.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Female Game show hosts?
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2004, 03:23:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 12:48 PM\'] Also, as long as we're in the "no one's mentioned yet" stage of a long thread, I don't think I've seen Louise Duart mentioned for Rodeo Drive. [/quote]
 That is TRIVIA. Inturnaround mentioned her on his post on the first page, about eight from the top.

(First one I thought of, too.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

Female Game show hosts?
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2004, 03:29:52 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jan 14 2004, 08:03 PM\'] I'm suprised that no one has mentioned the token Canadian host, er...Co-host from Super Pay Cards:

Mary Lou Bachleva...er,

Mary Lou, the Crock Pot lady... [/quote]
 As Ed Wilczek once noted, her name is Mary Lou Bananarama.

Right, Chuck D? ;-)

- David

DrJWJustice

Female Game show hosts?
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2004, 03:31:52 PM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 08:32 AM\'] There have been quite a lot of female GS hosts in the UK:

Davina McCall - Big Brother & The Vault (2002)
Melanie Sykes - Celebrities Under Pressure & The Vault (2003 - covering for Davina's Materinty Leave)
Sophie Raworth - Judgemental (2002)
Carol Vorderman - Grand Slam & Britain's Brainest
Kirsty Young - The People Versus (2000 - Primetime, 24 Hours before Link first began)
Kaye Adams - The People Versus (2001 - Daytime)
Melandra Burrows - Soap Addicts
Lisa Rogers - Celebrity Addicts
Rhona Cameron - Russian Roulette
Tess Daly - Britains Brainest Kid 2002 (Heats Only)
Sarah Cawood - Cruel Summer & Cruel Winter
Jayne Sharp - Little Monsters & Cruel Summer 2: Cruel School
Haley Evetts (Pop Idol singer) - Cruel Holiday
Sarah Kennedy - Busmans Holiday
Cilla Black - Blind Date & The Moment Of Truth
Jenny Hull - Take A Letter
Melinda Messenger - Fort Boyard (Channel 5 1998-2001)
Jodie Penfold - Fort Boyard (Challenge 2003)
Ruby Wax - The Waiting Game [/quote]
 I noted the conspicuous absence of Lily Savage in there (Blanekty Blanks, the UK version of Match Game), although 'she' does deserve an asterisk because 'she' is really a guy in drag.

alfonzos

Female Game show hosts?
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2004, 03:33:09 PM »
Here's an obscure one: Kathy Godfrey, Arthur's sister, hosted On Your Way in 1954.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

DrJWJustice

Female Game show hosts?
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2004, 03:33:19 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jan 15 2004, 03:31 PM\'] I noted the conspicuous absence of Lily Savage in there (Blanekty Blanks, the UK version of Match Game), although 'she' does deserve an asterisk because 'she' is really a guy in drag. [/quote]
 Excuse me, I didn't read down far enough.  Mark mentioned 'her'.