Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF Bonus Puzzle Analysis  (Read 11428 times)

Matt Ottinger

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

brianhenke

Re: WOF Bonus Puzzle Analysis
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:38:35 PM »
     He must have not watched Wheel that much during the seven years analyzed. He says that Vanna still flips letters on the board. She has been touching them since 1997.

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:40:11 PM »
Some time ago I made an offhand comment about doing something like this, and I remember when Steve McClellan was on the show some years ago I helped him by playing a battery of bonus puzzles with prescribed bonus letter choices to see which ones were the most helpful.
Travis L. Eberle

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 10:21:58 PM »
He must have not watched Wheel that much during the seven years analyzed. He says that Vanna still flips letters on the board. She has been touching them since 1997.

Seriously?  That's your takeaway from this?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 11:34:56 PM »
I think this article is fascinating.

I've always advocated using CD(M, H or B)A for two reasons: 1) that's four of the most common letters in the English language (which, as the article mentioned, doesn't mean jack squat when the producers are making a point to avoid those letters), and also 2) with ten of the most common letters accounted for, even lots of blank spaces provide valuable information. With large expanses of letters unrevealed, you know you have to click your brain into an alternate mode, and start thinking about compound words and awkward letters like Js, Ks and Ws.

G, H and O make sense since they show up in a lot of adjectives (like "rough" and "tough"), which the writers have liked in recent years.

If this really is the trend, I wonder if contestants will catch on and start migrating towards it.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 11:47:30 PM »
If this really is the trend, I wonder if contestants will catch on and start migrating towards it.
It's essentially a long-form series of rock-paper-scissors or choosing the wine: if you believe that the producers have chosen a particular set of letters, pick those. If it works, you're golden. ON the other hand, and the thing you alluded to, you can also glean information from which letters are not in the puzzle as well.
Travis L. Eberle

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 01:59:05 PM »

Seriously?  That's your takeaway from this?

Well, words do have meanings, after all.  :)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 02:57:27 PM »
This would require a great deal of additional analysis, but I'm curious as to whether a contestant should stay away from apparent "traps." For example, it is my hypothesis that if T_E is showing, then the contestant should deliberately avoid selecting the H -- are the producers hoping to sucker the contestant into wasting a pick on a letter that won't appear anywhere else in the puzzle? (Similarly, is it advisable to not choose the A when there's a single blank space in a non-phrase puzzle?)

In fact, now that I think about it, I wonder how many "THE"s (with no other H's in the puzzle) are affecting these results.

weaklink75

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 03:35:08 PM »
It's certainly detailed, that's for sure...I'd think A or I would be the most likely vowel to call, not O (because A and I would be the only two possibilities for a single-letter word, so if you call one of them and it doesn't come up, you know it's the other one)...

One thing I'd like to know is what kind of win percentage the producers are shooting for in bonus rounds- seems to me about 30-40% (and if they have a run of wins or losses in previous taping sessions, they can adjust the difficulty of the puzzles accordingly in later ones).

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 04:18:58 PM »
It's certainly detailed, that's for sure...I'd think A or I would be the most likely vowel to call, not O (because A and I would be the only two possibilities for a single-letter word, so if you call one of them and it doesn't come up, you know it's the other one)...
If the circumstances are right, however, you should able to discern that on your own.  If the category is thing, for example, I'd like to think A is the only possibility, outside of something like iPod (but then it'd all be one word).
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Kevin Prather

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 05:45:45 PM »
If the circumstances are right, however, you should able to discern that on your own.  If the category is thing, for example, I'd like to think A is the only possibility, outside of something like iPod (but then it'd all be one word).
If the category is title, quotation or phrase, it'll be a little more difficult.

Unrealtor

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 01:45:34 AM »
"O" is a perfectly cromulent one-letter English word as well, but I wouldn't expect to see it anywhere other than in a title.

And if Prince is involved, "U" can also appear in titles.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Kevin Prather

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 01:51:17 AM »
And if Prince is involved, "U" can also appear in titles.

Beg pardon?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 02:36:59 AM »
A Secretary-General of the UN as a Bonus Puzzle?  U Thant be serious!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 03:40:43 AM »
A Secretary-General of the UN as a Bonus Puzzle?  U Thant be serious!

Alright now. Stop.

Hammarskjöld.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022