Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone know this pilot?  (Read 3035 times)

Adam Nedeff

Anyone know this pilot?
« on: December 26, 2014, 02:26:12 PM »
I went to a friend's party for Christmas and she introduced me to everyone as "an author of books about game shows," which is technically true and more impressive than my actual job. A guy approaches me and tells me a story about being a contestant for an unsold pilot in the 1980s. He's positive it was for NBC, and here's how he described it.

"Jim Lange was the host. The game was a lot like The Dating Game which is why I remember Jim Lange was there. I thought it was weird that they hired him for a similar show. They had a bachelorette on one side of a partition and three bachelors on the other side, and the premise was that Jim would ask us all the same questions, and the bachelors won points every time they gave an answer that matched the bachelorette, and the guy with the highest score was the one who got the date."

Anybody heard of this?

Matt Ottinger

Re: Anyone know this pilot?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 04:09:48 PM »
They had a bachelorette on one side of a partition and three bachelors on the other side, and the premise was that Jim would ask us all the same questions, and the bachelors won points every time they gave an answer that matched the bachelorette, and the guy with the highest score was the one who got the date."

"Here's what we'll do.  We'll take The Dating Game, but then we'll suck all the fun out of it.  It can't miss!"
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 04:10:27 PM »
"Here's what we'll do.  We'll take The Dating Game, but then we'll suck all the fun out of it.  It can't miss!"
It sounds like they're trying to meld it with Newlywed Game.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 04:14:44 PM »
It sounds like they're trying to meld it with Newlywed Game.
It's enough from Column A and Column B that you almost have to hope that the Barris folks were behind it -- and that it would therefore be a lot more entertaining than how it sounds.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 12:02:53 AM »
"Here's what we'll do.  We'll take The Dating Game, but then we'll suck all the fun out of it."

Well, they did keep Jim Lange.

Okay, I'm just kidding.