Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN is now... GSN  (Read 6604 times)

tvrandywest

GSN is now... GSN
« on: January 09, 2004, 07:45:09 PM »
It's official! (cue: sfx, fanfare, cheering).
Game Show Network is now... GSN.

Discuss.

Randy
tvrandywest.com

p.s. I'm not in the inner circle - I got the news from another member of this board who missed the 5 minute window for posting it himself!   ;-)
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Jimmy Owen

GSN is now... GSN
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 08:06:07 PM »
I kinda like the new name, it's somewhat reminiscent of the old name, yet trendy enough to attract those who like acronyms that have no meaning attached.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

gameshowguy2000

GSN is now... GSN
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 08:40:22 PM »
Oh, good. It's finally following suit with the other cable networks. We all know Cable News Network as CNN, and Black Entertainment Television as BET.

Now, we'll know Game Show Network as GSN. I'll take that.

CherryPizza

GSN is now... GSN
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 10:19:37 PM »
And just when we start to head into the era when our new teenagers probably have no idea what the letters KFC stand for, you'll get the chance to feel REALLY old when, about thirteen years from now, you have them wondering what G S N means

catkins522

GSN is now... GSN
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 10:45:48 PM »
[quote name=\'CherryPizza\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 10:19 PM\'] And just when we start to head into the era when our new teenagers probably have no idea what the letters KFC stand for, you'll get the chance to feel REALLY old when, about thirteen years from now, you have them wondering what G S N means [/quote]
 And...

Bob Barker has still not retired...
Mark L. Walberg is doing the new Concertration and is pulling a 4.5
Tom Bergeron will do the NEW Super Password Plus next season
Fremantle bankrupts and gives game show control to Bob Boden Enterprise
Al Gore will be the president....of GSIPN...Game Show and Internet Poker Network
and finally...

Wheel 2000 is Nu! Nu! Nu!  ;-)

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

CherryPizza

GSN is now... GSN
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 10:52:47 PM »
AND...

* Steve Irwin's kid publishes his "I blame daddy" memoir, stealing Drew Barrymore's record as youngest person to release an autobiography

* People FINALLY realise that there's more to Australia than guys who play with crocodiles

(Any other Australians on this board? Being spokesperson for my country can get overwhelming at times)

jalman

GSN is now... GSN
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2004, 12:50:22 AM »
Yep, the name change is official.

The press release

JMFabiano

GSN is now... GSN
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2004, 01:16:34 AM »
[quote name=\'catkins522\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 10:45 PM\'] [quote name=\'CherryPizza\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 10:19 PM\'] And just when we start to head into the era when our new teenagers probably have no idea what the letters KFC stand for, you'll get the chance to feel REALLY old when, about thirteen years from now, you have them wondering what G S N means [/quote]
And...

Bob Barker has still not retired...
Mark L. Walberg is doing the new Concertration and is pulling a 4.5
Tom Bergeron will do the NEW Super Password Plus next season
Fremantle bankrupts and gives game show control to Bob Boden Enterprise
Al Gore will be the president....of GSIPN...Game Show and Internet Poker Network
and finally...

Wheel 2000 is Nu! Nu! Nu!  ;-)

Charles [/quote]
 ...and Hot Potato is revived, except this time they really do toss hot potatoes at each other.  In other news, it will be funi ;-)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

WhammyPower

GSN is now... GSN
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2004, 09:20:15 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 06:45 PM\']Game Show Network is now... GSN. [/quote]
I wonder if THAT'S why they have the domain www.GSN.com

TV Favorites

GSN is now... GSN
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2004, 02:36:14 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 09:20 AM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 06:45 PM\']Game Show Network is now... GSN. [/quote]
I wonder if THAT'S why they have the domain www.GSN.com [/quote]
 I think the gsn.com domain name was originally bought more for ease.  Not only is it easier for web users to type gsn.com instead of gameshownetwork.com, it is much better to use in advertisements and on air promos as well.

BrandonFG

GSN is now... GSN
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2004, 03:02:30 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 02:36 PM\'] [quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 09:20 AM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 9 2004, 06:45 PM\']Game Show Network is now... GSN. [/quote]
I wonder if THAT'S why they have the domain www.GSN.com [/quote]
I think the gsn.com domain name was originally bought more for ease.  Not only is it easier for web users to type gsn.com instead of gameshownetwork.com, it is much better to use in advertisements and on air promos as well. [/quote]
 Makes sense, but to answer WhammyPower, they've been advertising GSN.com as a site since last summer, well before their big change was announced. Matter of fact, I think gsn.com has worked for a couple of years, but I could be wrong.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

daveromanjr

GSN is now... GSN
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2004, 05:14:11 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 03:02 PM\'] I think gsn.com has worked for a couple of years, but I could be wrong. [/quote]
 I only think recently that gsn.com actually was for game show network.  I remember reading that TheRicker on GSN's board saying that getting access to gsn.com for them was the final step in referring to themselves as GSN.  I believe it was within the past year.  gsn.com went to another company's website beforehand.

kidsplash

GSN is now... GSN
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2004, 06:44:30 PM »
Reality TV has poisoned game-related programming and it will poison the new GSN programming. I don't even have GSN (or currently Game Show Network) or cable at all because I couldn't pay my bill and we're very short on cash. I'm thinking about getting Dish Network if I have enough credit in my credit card or if I get a checking account with a check/debit card. I always wanted to see Nick GAS.

Until then, let's wish, hope and pray that there will be a GSN 2 with 100% game shows and 0% reality TV.

inturnaround

GSN is now... GSN
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2004, 07:20:52 PM »
[quote name=\'kidsplash\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 06:44 PM\'] Reality TV has poisoned game-related programming and it will poison the new GSN programming. I don't even have GSN (or currently Game Show Network) or cable at all because I couldn't pay my bill and we're very short on cash. I'm thinking about getting Dish Network if I have enough credit in my credit card or if I get a checking account with a check/debit card. I always wanted to see Nick GAS.

Until then, let's wish, hope and pray that there will be a GSN 2 with 100% game shows and 0% reality TV. [/quote]
 Very few things in this world are either all good or all bad. For example, your post, which takes hyperbole to a new dimension, does have most of the words in it spelled correctly. That's surely a good thing.

Not all reality TV is bad. Some is bad, some is good, most is meh. GSN isn't changing because they thing their move will be unpopular. They're making it because they think they can attract a far larger audience for primetime with such an overhaul.

Poisoned? The only thing I'm sure is poisoned is your objectivity regarding reality shows.

As for Nick GAS, let's just say that your expectation is setting you up for disappointment. I've always found the channel to be nice to have, but not that important.
Joe Coughlin     
Human