Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Phillip Wayne Rossi dismissed from TPiR  (Read 17791 times)

gameshowguy2000

Phillip Wayne Rossi dismissed from TPiR
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2004, 12:04:28 AM »
And it may take a long time to figure out if the info we've been given is true.

SplitSecond

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2004, 12:45:09 AM »
Well, I'll offer a bit of speculation in one area.  I think that Jeff and Sylvia were probably put in charge of contestant selection because they were already an integral part of the day-to-day contestant selection process.  I seriously doubt they're receiving raises for their added responsibilities (though they should), just like everyone else who is dividing the work that Phil used to do.  In fact (and I'll be interested to see if the credits prove me right on this), I suspect that Jeff and Sylvia will remain "Program Staff" and that nobody's titles and salaries are going to change too drastically.  Except Phil's.

On the subject of titles, there is no value in keeping symmetry in the producer's camp and the director's camp (one head, one associate, etc.), so it's silly to think that's the reason that Kathy isn't being promoted - although I'm sure a straw poll of this board would indicate that she should be.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 12:50:10 AM by SplitSecond »

Terry K

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2004, 04:33:31 AM »
and based on recent contestants these two have picked, I can tell you right here and now that the process they're using these days is making for a considerably less interesting show.

(I can't and won't say much more than that until after a show airs in early Feb)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2004, 06:03:24 AM »
Jeff and Sylvia were probably put in charge of contestant selection because they were already an integral part of the day-to-day contestant selection process. I seriously doubt they're receiving raises for their added responsibilities (though they should), just like everyone else who is dividing the work that Phil used to do. In fact (and I'll be interested to see if the credits prove me right on this), I suspect that Jeff and Sylvia will remain "Program Staff" and that nobody's titles and salaries are going to change too drastically. Except Phil's.
That explains a lot. If Jeff and Sylvia are already on staff then their salaries are already budgeted and the added cost of having two "contestant coordinators" is zero and Fremantle saves an amount somewhere in the low- to mid-six figures.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 06:04:11 AM by chris319 »

cmjb13

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2004, 06:48:58 AM »
That's a lot of nonsense, Christopher. For starters, you don't know anything about the former G-T CCs or their salary requirements.
I should have made that more clear. $$$ wasn't referring to their salaries. It was referring to the current interviewers. (not that I've seen a pay stub or anything) I'm familiar with the female cooridinator, but not the male. She looks like she's fresh out of college, and hell Lawerence went to college and used to help Phil with the interviews. And I don't think college people, some interns (who don't get paid) are going to get paid more than veteran coordinators. It's possible, though.

Second, you don't know that Phil is going to retire
You are right, I don't. I refer to your quote:

Based on what I have been told, Phil's late dad was "comfortable". You connect the dots.
I connected the dots. It makes sense on the surface.

Third, you are probably without a clue as to the added expense of the fourth taping day.
That 4th taping day has been there for years. It wasn't just added last month. I don't understand why that would be an issue now if they have been doing it for years. You'd figure if it was such an expensive cost, they would have done something about it years ago.

Fourth, you, I and everyone else here except one are not privy to Fremantle's future plans for the show. Speculate if you will, but if you're going to pull theories out of your ass please qualify them as such.
er.., um...

More speculation (clearly labeled as such): The concept of "total control over his future" could be spin.
Could be, but why? Why not just be honest and state the truth?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 06:52:00 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2004, 09:30:01 AM »
That 4th taping day has been there for years. It wasn't just added last month. I don't understand why that would be an issue now if they have been doing it for years. You'd figure if it was such an expensive cost, they would have done something about it years ago.
The fourth taping day was added to placate Barker who complained that two shows per day were tiring him out. A similar issue arose when they first went to one-hour shows: Goodson wanted to do three shows per day. Barker refused and his agent got involved. The schedule they settled on was two daytime shows and one half-hour nighttime show if needed.

A couple of us tried to estimate the cost of the added taping day when they first implemented it. It was in the upper six figures, or close to one million dollars per year. When Barker hangs up his microphone don't be surprised if they go back to two shows, three days per week.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 09:32:14 AM by chris319 »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2004, 09:44:39 AM »
A similar issue arose when they first went to one-hour shows: Goodson wanted to do three shows per day. Barker refused and his agent got involved. The schedule they settled on was two daytime shows and one half-hour nighttime show if needed.

When they first went to hour-long shows, didn't they do three shows one day and two the next, at least for the first little while?  I remember seeing a GSN rerun where a contestant finally got on stage, and stated "I was here for all three yesterday".  I was thinking that in the beginning they might have done three on some days to get the week's taping overwith in just two days.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2004, 09:51:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 09:44 AM\']
When they first went to hour-long shows, didn't they do three shows one day and two the next, at least for the first little while?  I remember seeing a GSN rerun where a contestant finally got on stage, and stated "I was here for all three yesterday".  I was thinking that in the beginning they might have done three on some days to get the week's taping overwith in just two days. [/quote]
 UNless, of course, they taped two daytime shows and then Dennis came in(Dennis was still doing nighttime TPIR when the daytime show expanded to an hour) to tape a nighttime show.

cmjb13

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2004, 10:41:13 AM »
The fourth taping day was added to placate Barker who complained that two shows per day were tiring him out.
This I did know.

A similar issue arose when they first went to one-hour shows: Goodson wanted to do three shows per day. Barker refused and his agent got involved. The schedule they settled on was two daytime shows and one half-hour nighttime show if needed.
This I didn't know.

A couple of us tried to estimate the cost of the added taping day when they first implemented it. It was in the upper six figures, or close to one million dollars per year..
I think of it like this. The money they spent for the extra day is worth the money they get in revenue (No extra tape day, who knows what Barker would have done) to continue doing the show. Who knows how much longer Barker could have kept up the old schedule. Seems like a necessary evil.

When Barker hangs up his microphone don't be surprised if they go back to two shows, three days per week
I was hoping they would go back to that schedule now. I never figured they would ever go back to that schedule after Barker. Makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 10:41:56 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2004, 04:30:22 PM »
I remember seeing a GSN rerun where a contestant finally got on stage, and stated "I was here for all three yesterday".
Two daytime + one nighttime = three shows.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2004, 04:33:53 PM »
The money they spent for the extra day is worth the money they get in revenue (No extra tape day, who knows what Barker would have done) to continue doing the show. Who knows how much longer Barker could have kept up the old schedule. Seems like a necessary evil.
If Barker threatened to quit if they didn't change the schedule, then what other options did they have? Call it a form of extortion if you will, but he cost them beaucoup bucks with that move.