Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Phillip Wayne Rossi dismissed from TPiR  (Read 17786 times)

Robair

Phillip Wayne Rossi dismissed from TPiR
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2004, 06:16:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 11:00 PM\'] More info from Marc Green:

Phil's termination was with cause. Bob Barker did not drop the hatchet, nor did Fremantle -- and there is no reason to blame either of these parties for what happened. Phil had total control of his future with the show (or at least as much control as the rest of the staff), but he selected to go down the path that he did. [/quote]
 Then that would leave CBS. Who else would have him fired? Someone who lost "Plinko"?

Randy noted this had been a developing situation, and my guess was they wanted to see what a tape week looked like after the holiday hiatus before making a decision on Phil, and someone from the network didn't like what they saw, for some reason, and axed Phil.

So now the behind the scenes family is starting to be trimmed. My hope is Roger and Fingers aren't on that clock, because if Barker somehow steps down Roger would probably be the big chief now.
--Robair

cmjb13

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2004, 06:27:49 AM »
I could be way off base, but I read a post on Claudia's board asking why she left. She said she couldn't say, but when she could, she would.

I wonder if there is a connection.

And don't you just love it when you are told that he's fired, but not why? Why bother telling us at all?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 06:41:38 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

whewfan

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2004, 06:48:18 AM »
Claudia had said somewhere that she left simply because the show stopped being fun and she disliked working with different models from show to show.  Imagine being in a situation where you never work with the same person twice. Holly, Dian and Janice developed some rapport because they had gotten to know each other over a long period of time (and unfortunately this rapport turned sour in later years).

While Bob supposedly has nothing to do with Phil's departure, I think the recent changes on TPIR may be because Bob has been emotionally hurt too many times.
First, the death of his wife, then, the death of Johnny Olsen,  the unfortunate events concerning Dian, and lastly Rod's death. It's possible Bob doesn't want to become too emotionally attached to anyone, so that may be why the models and announcers are on a rotating schedule, and it may stay that way for a while.

cmjb13

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2004, 06:55:49 AM »
Claudia had said somewhere that she left simply because the show stopped being fun and she disliked working with different models from show to show.
I'm just saying there was a later post where she said she would go into more detail. I had thought there might be a lawsuit (just speculating) ongoing that she couldn't talk about.

I think the recent changes on TPIR may be because Bob has been emotionally hurt too many times.
I would bet the farm that that's not the reason. Firing somebody because you don't want to get too attached to them?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 06:58:23 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Card Shark

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2004, 08:17:08 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 10:20 PM\'] [quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 10:07 PM\'] From golden-road.net:

Today golden-road.net was able to confirm that longtime TPiR producer Phil Wayne Rossi was recently dismissed from the show.  Contestant interview duties are now split between producer Roger Dobkowitz and contestant coordinators Jeff Thisted & Sylvia Clements-Henry.

Phil has always been a highlight to the thousands of visitors that the show has received over the years.  We are certain he will be missed in the future.
[/quote]
Damn, Fremangle, you never learn do you? Rocco must be turning over in his grave. Hasn't Phil been at TPIR from the beginning?

Contestant Coordinator huh? Must be a new job title at TPIR. I guess Fingers will move up to producer with Roger, unless of course they plan to axe her too :/ [/quote]
 Hasn't he also been with Mark Goodson Productions in its various nomenclatures for over 20 some years? I seem to recall his name in the credits of Dawson Feud at one point. It was someone named Phil Rossi. Same guy?
Adam Strom

Card Shark

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2004, 08:19:16 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 11:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Jan 10 2004, 08:00 PM\'] More info from Marc Green:

Phil's termination was with cause. Bob Barker did not drop the hatchet, nor did Fremantle -- and there is no reason to blame either of these parties for what happened. Phil had total control of his future with the show (or at least as much control as the rest of the staff), but he selected to go down the path that he did. [/quote]
So what did he do, boink Barker?

Hey, it happened with one of the models. [/quote]
 If he "boinked" Barker, as you say, he would still be on the show. My guess is he decided not to boink him :)
Adam Strom

zachhoran

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2004, 08:35:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 08:17 AM\']
Hasn't he also been with Mark Goodson Productions in its various nomenclatures for over 20 some years? I seem to recall his name in the credits of Dawson Feud at one point. It was someone named Phil Rossi. Same guy? [/quote]
 Phil Wayne's real name is Phillip Rossi. His dad was longtime GT producr Frank Wayne AKA ROcco Rossi. Frank worked for GT from the 50s through his death in 1987(his death made Barker the EP of TPIR). Phil Wayne started having his real name in the credits c. 1994.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2004, 09:36:02 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 06:48 AM\'] Claudia had said somewhere that she left simply because the show stopped being fun and she disliked working with different models from show to show.  Imagine being in a situation where you never work with the same person twice. Holly, Dian and Janice developed some rapport because they had gotten to know each other over a long period of time (and unfortunately this rapport turned sour in later years).

While Bob supposedly has nothing to do with Phil's departure, I think the recent changes on TPIR may be because Bob has been emotionally hurt too many times.
First, the death of his wife, then, the death of Johnny Olsen,  the unfortunate events concerning Dian, and lastly Rod's death. It's possible Bob doesn't want to become too emotionally attached to anyone, so that may be why the models and announcers are on a rotating schedule, and it may stay that way for a while. [/quote]
 Gosh, if anything were to happen to Ralph Edwards, Bob may throw in the towel.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

cmjb13

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2004, 09:48:43 AM »
Hasn't he also been with Mark Goodson Productions in its various nomenclatures for over 20 some years? I seem to recall his name in the credits of Dawson Feud at one point. It was someone named Phil Rossi. Same guy?
Phil dates back to the original Password in the 60's and he has a son that I believe is around 7 or 8. Maybe if game shows come back, his son will be in the business.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 10:29:46 AM by cmjb13 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2004, 01:48:19 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 05:35 AM\']Phil Wayne's real name is Phillip Rossi. His dad was longtime GT producr Frank Wayne AKA ROcco Rossi. Frank worked for GT from the 50s through his death in 1987(his death made Barker the EP of TPIR). Phil Wayne started having his real name in the credits c. 1994.[/quote]
I believe Phil legally changed his surname. His brother still goes by Wayne so I have to assume Frank legally changed his name before he had kids.

Frank once told me he had been with G-T so long they didn't have a record of his start date, so figure he was with them since the '40s.
he has a son that I believe is around 7 or 8. Maybe if game shows come back, his son will be in the business.
Game shows coming back? Fat chance. If Phil is any kind of father he'll steer his son away from the business.

cmjb13

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2004, 06:47:25 PM »
I guess Fingers will move up to producer with Roger
Doesn't seem to be the plan. If they do that, they have the same situation they were in before, 2 producers and 1 associate. Then they would have to find an associate.

CBS.com does reflect Roger as the sole producer and keeping Kathy as the associate. Just like the director. Director and associate.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 06:47:35 PM by cmjb13 »

calliaume

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2004, 07:29:20 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 06:48 AM\'] While Bob supposedly has nothing to do with Phil's departure, I think the recent changes on TPIR may be because Bob has been emotionally hurt too many times.
First, the death of his wife, then, the death of Johnny Olsen,  the unfortunate events concerning Dian, and lastly Rod's death. [/quote]
 I think this is kind of a reach -- these events occured in 1981, 1985, 1994, and 2003 -- a 22-year span.  And while clearly his wife's death hurt him very deeply, I don't think he would allow that to affect the way he handles his professional life.

Clearly, they've been cutting budget wherever they can over the last couple of years (Janice and Kathleen's departure being the obvious indicator), so I would think this is part of that trend.

uncamark

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2004, 07:40:00 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 07:29 PM\']Clearly, they've been cutting budget wherever they can over the last couple of years (Janice and Kathleen's departure being the obvious indicator), so I would think this is part of that trend.[/quote]
And Phil had the most seniority in the company, being G-T since the 60s.  It's unfortunate that with Janice and Paul Alter gone, it looked like he was the next to be targeted.  Can I assume that Fremantle also had to honor whatever benefits Phil had accrued from the predecessor companies--and that could've led to his firing?

Since Phil didn't join "TPIR" until after Jay Wolpert's departure, is it still safe to say that Rog is the only staffer who's been there since Day One, or was Fingers also there at the start?

cmjb13

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2004, 07:52:13 PM »
Clearly, they've been cutting budget wherever they can over the last couple of years (Janice and Kathleen's departure being the obvious indicator), so I would think this is part of that trend.
On the surface, that would make sense, but the way this was worded makes me think it's otherwise. Phil had total control over his future and chose the path that he did?

Why they need two contestant coordinators for a game show which tapes one show per day 3/4 of the time is anybody's guess.
You do realize that he did more than interview contestants.

Why they didn't tap any of the veteran Goodson-Todman contestant coordinators is also anybody's guess.
$$$

What is the next career move for a middle-aged former game show producer or contestant coordinator now that the networks do not program game shows any more and the mom-and-pop game show boutiques have closed up shop?
Retirement

In my estimation the additional cost incurred by going to the four-day-per-week taping schedule far exceeds what Phil was making.
But they have been doing that 4 day schedule since 1998, IIRC. Almost 6 years ago. And Fremantle has had full control for the show for what, 3 years.

Since Phil didn't join "TPIR" until after Jay Wolpert's departure, is it still safe to say that Rog is the only staffer who's been there since Day One, or was Fingers also there at the start?
Roger and Bob are the only 2 still around since the beginning. Fingers didn't join until the late 70's/early 80's IIRC.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2004, 11:15:00 PM »
That's a lot of nonsense, Christopher. For starters, you don't know anything about the former G-T CCs or their salary requirements. Second, you don't know that Phil is going to retire. Third, you are probably without a clue as to the added expense of the fourth taping day. Fourth, you, I and everyone else here except one are not privy to Fremantle's future plans for the show. Speculate if you will, but if you're going to pull theories out of your ass please qualify them as such.

More speculation (clearly labeled as such):

The concept of "total control over his future" could be spin.

Or

He could have been given an ultimatum, weighed his options, chose not to cede to the ultimatum and was shown the door.

But this is all speculation and we're just whistlin' Dixie.