Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Happy 20th, GSN!  (Read 9919 times)

TimK2003

Re: Happy 20th, GSN!
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 11:34:28 PM »
You're right. GSN did the G/T Top 25 on their 2nd Anniversary.  It's been a while since I watched those tapes -- I just found one of those tapes in the box and I can confirm it was their 2nd Anniversary, which means it was even longer back that I had worked with that co-worker at the place-that-shall-remain-nameless.  Carry on.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 03:01:06 PM »
You're right. GSN did the G/T Top 25 on their 2nd Anniversary.  It's been a while since I watched those tapes -- I just found one of those tapes in the box and I can confirm it was their 2nd Anniversary, which means it was even longer back that I had worked with that co-worker at the place-that-shall-remain-nameless.  Carry on.

I believe GSN obtained the rights to TPIR not long after, so it would make sense that it wasn't in the marathon.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Jamey Greek

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 08:30:51 PM »
Steve Day is the morning DJ at WHLC in Highlands, NC now.

http://www.whlc.com/

aaron sica

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 11:37:32 AM »
I believe GSN obtained the rights to TPIR not long after, so it would make sense that it wasn't in the marathon.

In going back and looking at a.t.g-s posts, it appears that TPiR became part of the regular GSN lineup around the second week of December in '96..

Jamey Greek

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 02:20:20 PM »
GSN came out at a good time between the OJ trial and taboid talk shows.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 05:23:50 PM »
GSN came out at a good time between the OJ trial and taboid talk shows.

This makes no sense. The OJ trial was in full swing by the time GSN launched and tabloid talk shows had been around since at least the mid 1980s (Geraldo anyone?).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 05:56:56 PM »
Correct. If anything, GSN was more of a break from wall-to-wall OJ and talk shows, at a time when game shows were in a serious lull. By 1995, it seemed just about every C-list celebrity you could think of had their own talk show, where as you had only one network game and two in syndication (not counting the markets that tried reruns of Shop Til You Drop.

/Geraldo tried to rebrand his show not too long after that
//Don't think the experiment lasted too long...maybe a couple years?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 02:42:13 AM »
Yeah, there were so many of them...Tempestt Bledsoe, Gabrielle Carteris, Queen Latifah, Carnie Wilson, Danny Bonaduce...

Geraldo I believe was either in '96 or '97 that he abandoned his old format and he was off the air two years later.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022