Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The B&E Syndicated Trio Of The Early 80's.  (Read 23524 times)

aaron sica

Re: The B&E Syndicated Trio Of The Early 80's.
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »
WHP (CBS in Harrisburg PA), ran Bullseye for a very short time in either 1980, 1981 (or both) at 4pm, with TTD running later on at 7, and JW at 7:30.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2014, 04:36:35 PM »
Barry & Enright also flopped with Pictionary '89, TTD '90 (of course!), and a couple other non-game shows they did in the early '80s.

Goodson-Todman missed the mark on That's My Line! (CBS' answer to Real People/That's Incredible) and The Don Rickles Show, while Hatos-Hall had bombs with Masquerade Party, It's Anybody's Guess, LMAD '80 (which got limited syndication clearance in the U.S.), and Split Second '86.

jimlangefan

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2014, 05:03:22 PM »
Barry & Enright also flopped with Pictionary '89, TTD '90 (of course!), and a couple other non-game shows they did in the early '80s.

Goodson-Todman missed the mark on That's My Line! (CBS' answer to Real People/That's Incredible) and The Don Rickles Show, while Hatos-Hall had bombs with Masquerade Party, It's Anybody's Guess, LMAD '80 (which got limited syndication clearance in the U.S.), and Split Second '86.

I wouldn't say LMAD '80 bombed. It actually isn't due to the ratings of why it was canceled.  There actually was supposed to be a second season, but the financial problems with Catalena Productions in which over $250K in checks bounced was the major factor in LMAD '80s cancellation.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:27:33 PM by jimlangefan »
TV's Big Dealer

Bryce L.

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2014, 06:01:10 PM »

I wouldn't say LMAD '80 bombed. It actually isn't due to the ratings of why it was canceled.  There actually was supposed to be a second season, but the financial problems with Catalena Productions in which over $250K in checks bounced, was what the major factor in LMAD '80s cancellation.
Weren't they (Catalena Productions) the same company tied to the Pitfall debacle?

SuperMatch93

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2014, 06:04:47 PM »

I wouldn't say LMAD '80 bombed. It actually isn't due to the ratings of why it was canceled.  There actually was supposed to be a second season, but the financial problems with Catalena Productions in which over $250K in checks bounced, was what the major factor in LMAD '80s cancellation.
Weren't they (Catalena Productions) the same company tied to the Pitfall debacle?

Correct.

While Trebek was stiffed for his check, did Hall suffer the same fate for LMAD '80?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

jimlangefan

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »

Correct.

While Trebek was stiffed for his check, did Hall suffer the same fate for LMAD '80?

I will have to check again, but to my knowledge Hall did not suffer the same fate. 
TV's Big Dealer

Johnissoevil

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2014, 06:32:38 PM »

I don't think Catalina was responsible for paying when it came to LMAD 80, they were just the syndicator in this case.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

cbs09041972

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2014, 12:17:41 AM »
In B&E's own hometown LA market -

KHJ-TV (now KCAL) Ch. 9, starting 9-29-80

6:00 Tic Tac Dough
6:30 Bullseye
7:00 The Joker's Wild
7:30 Face the Music

On 4-20-81, TJW and B switched timeslots. 

On 9-21-81, TJW and TTD moved to KCOP Ch. 13 (where they were produced) on 7:00 and 7:30 respectively.

Channel 9's new schedule that day was as follows:

6:00 Treasure Hunt
7:00 Match Game
7:30 You Asked For It (w/ Rich Little)

johnnya2k3

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2014, 02:00:54 AM »
And when TJW and TTD briefly returned in 1990 (now produced at different studios), guess who aired them in L.A.? That's right...KCOP!!!

BTW, the original runs were never seen in Alaska until 1983-84, when KTBY in Anchorage -- which just signed on -- aired them; as for Bullseye? The CBN/USA Network reruns would be new to them.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:54:03 AM by johnnya2k3 »

Winkfan

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2014, 03:05:36 PM »
In B&E's own hometown LA market
6:00 Treasure Hunt
7:00 Match Game
7:30 You Asked For It (w/ Rich Little)

Actually, it was the other way around during the 7-8:00pm hour.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2014, 03:06:48 PM »
Break the Bank, ends in daytime after fifteen weeks in spite of itself, syndicated series is a bust. Blank Check, bust. Hollywood's Talking, 65 and out. Hollywood Connection, one season. Play the Percentages, half season wonder.

If you really consider it, B&E and Grundy were given a lot more credit than they perhaps deserved. Two hits and a lotta misses.

Break the Bank was one of those shows that actually was a hit, but due to circumstances never really got a fair chance.  The daytime version may have lasted only 15 weeks, but ratings show it was strong for all of those weeks.  I know in the past it was thought that maybe it started strong and then faded, but a while back (I think it was Jimmy) produced some ratings for June-July1976 and it was still in the top three.  It was only cancelled because Fred Silverman was more interested in lengthening soap operas.  The syndicated version didn't continue because Jack was more interested in reviving The Joker's Wild in fall 1977 instead.  I believe it got middling ratings.  There's no way of knowing but I'd bet Break the Bank could have had at least a year-or-two run.  It's one of those gems that most of us look back on fondly today.

Joker and Tic Tac were seen in the early evening hours in our area, while Bullseye was on at noon.  I think Bullseye wasn't equal to the sum of its parts.  It had a great set and great theme music, but somehow couldn't quite live up to its surroundings.  Plus, to me there's a flaw in the game that I don't recall us discussing that much - let's supposed you get two contestants who don't know much about a category and it turns out to be a long contract (4 or 5 questions), it's feasible you could be stuck on it for several days before it was completed.  I don't recall there being an "out" if both contestants kept missing.

Plus, many have said it was just the typical Barry-Enright quizzer wrapped up in a different package.  Still, it's neat to watch once in a while.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Thunder

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »

... Plus, to me there's a flaw in the game that I don't recall us discussing that much - let's supposed you get two contestants who don't know much about a category and it turns out to be a long contract (4 or 5 questions), it's feasible you could be stuck on it for several days before it was completed.  I don't recall there being an "out" if both contestants kept missing.

Even my idiot golden retriever could get 1 out every 3 Barry/Enright questions correct.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2014, 06:14:28 PM »

... Plus, to me there's a flaw in the game that I don't recall us discussing that much - let's supposed you get two contestants who don't know much about a category and it turns out to be a long contract (4 or 5 questions), it's feasible you could be stuck on it for several days before it was completed.  I don't recall there being an "out" if both contestants kept missing.

Even my idiot golden retriever could get 1 out every 3 Barry/Enright questions correct.

Yeah, I gotta go with that assessment. If there's one thing B&E shows were known for, relatively gettable questions would be my choice.

The silver to low stakes, the bronze to bonus round villains.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JMFabiano

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
NYC market:
TJW: 6:30pm on WOR-TV from September 1977-1979, 6PM on WOR from 1979-1981, 4pm on WCBS from September-November 1981, 9:30am on WCBS from November 1981-September 1984, 2pm on WOR from September 1984-September 1985, 1pm on WOR from September 1985-September 1986.  Reruns of the final CBS season aired on WOR from September 1976-September 1977, if you want to count that.
TTD: 8pm on WPIX from September 1978-September 1979, 6:30pm on WOR from September 1979-September 1981, 11am on WOR from September 1981-August 1983, 9am on WCBS from August 1983-September 1984, 2:30pm on WOR from September 1984-September 1985, 1:30pm from September 1985-September 1986.
Bullseye: 7pm on WOR from September 1980-September 1981, 11:30am on WOR from September 1981-September 1982.

Philadelphia:
TJW: 6:30pm on WTAF from September 1977-September 1979, 6pm on WKBS from April 1982-September 1982, 11am on WPVI from September 1982-September 1985, a second episode would air on WPVI at 7:30pm throughout the summer of 1983.
TTD: 7pm on WPVI from September 1978-September 1985, 9:00am on WCAU from March 1986-September 1986.
Bullseye: 6:30pm on WKBS from April 1982-September 1982.

I knew I remembered Joker being on WPVI, as most of my memories of the last couple of Barry seasons (audience game) were from seeing them through a snowy picture on WPVI, as I got NY and PA stations when I lived in Howell, NJ.  (I had to get a handheld poker slot machine one of my friends had because I was such a fan of TJW...no I never got it...)   

Veering towards OT...How did I miss Joker and Tic Tac on WCBS?  I know, there was a little thing called school, but when I was home due to vacation or sickness I'd gravitate towards most GS airings.  Was Romper Room on WOR in the 9 am hour?  That would explain a lot.  Then again, given the availability of PA channels, I may have just came to choose KYW for Card Sharks reruns, and didn't know about them being on WABC as well. 

How do you suppose PIX got the first season of Tic Tac instead of having it join Joker on WOR, which to me was always the "Barry-Enright Station."  Guess I am learning differently about that now, and also how WOR wasn't solely New York's game show channel as I remembered it.  I never remembered WPIX being big on games, nor WNEW/WNYW. 

As a sidenote, the aforementioned All-New You Asked for It w/Rich Little did join the B-E shows on WOR when it was airing.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.