Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! to Eliminate Ties?  (Read 46096 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Re: Jeopardy! to Eliminate Ties?
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2014, 09:26:49 PM »
However, the same source notes this no tie rule is done on Sports Jeopardy, which I thought was interesting.

Makes sense from a budget standpoint. This way, they know that their prize budget is exactly $8,000 per episode plus the prize money for the championship game. No sense in allowing one or more unexpected $3,000 overages on this untested internet program.

(How does "Sports Jeopardy!" pay out consolation money if there's a tie for second place? For that matter, how does "Jeopardy!"?)

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2014, 10:26:26 PM »
However, the same source notes this no tie rule is done on Sports Jeopardy, which I thought was interesting.
(How does "Sports Jeopardy!" pay out consolation money if there's a tie for second place? For that matter, how does "Jeopardy!"?)

On original recipe J!, whichever of the two was leading the other going into Final Jeopardy! gets the 2nd place prize.  (If they were tied then too, it's whichever one was ahead of the other most recently.)  I'd figure it's likely the same for Sports J!

chad1m

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2014, 01:19:03 PM »
For those looking for more public proof, the spouse of an upcoming contestant confirmed it on JBoard.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2014, 06:00:26 PM »
I wonder if they'll discuss the rule change on the air, or just slip it in and see if anyone notices.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2014, 08:11:32 PM »
I wonder if they'll discuss the rule change on the air, or just slip it in and see if anyone notices.

Seems to me they would be able to slip it in if they wanted to (Approves), because with the rule in place, FJ wagers that set up the possibility will be WAY fewer and further between.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2014, 08:17:17 PM »

Seems to me they would be able to slip it in if they wanted to (Approves), because with the rule in place, FJ wagers that set up the possibility will be WAY fewer and further between.
Good point. No more charity ties. You'll only see a tie in certain stalemate situations.

And sadly, this eliminates one of my favorite strategies we've discussed but I've never seen. Getting the DD as the last clue in the DJ round, and purposely whiffing it to force a tie situation.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2014, 08:48:47 PM »
And sadly, this eliminates one of my favorite strategies we've discussed but I've never seen. Getting the DD as the last clue in the DJ round, and purposely whiffing it to force a tie situation.

Which really illustrates perfectly why the tie is being killed: if you've got a situation where it *might* be beneficial to intentionally answer incorrectly, eliminate that situation.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2014, 09:26:43 PM »

Which really illustrates perfectly why the tie is being killed: if you've got a situation where it *might* be beneficial to intentionally answer incorrectly, eliminate that situation.
Fair cop. I made a similar point regarding "Millionaire Hot Seat" on another message board. There's a point in the game where "strategy" dictates you should probably pass even if you know the answer. That flies in the face of the game.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »
I was trying to find a story I had read about Swarthmore college quiz bowl and the big reveal was that the student in question was Arthur Chu and didn't find that. What I did find was an interview where Arthur relates dueling stories about his "bet to leave a tie" thing that he did: one tweet back to him said that "your bet on Jeopardy! restored my faith in humanity," and the other one said "This is everything that's wrong with the Millenial generation; everyone gets a prize."

You really can't please everyone.
Travis L. Eberle

rjaguar3

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2014, 05:44:23 PM »
I was trying to find a story I had read about Swarthmore college quiz bowl and the big reveal was that the student in question was Arthur Chu and didn't find that.

Here you go: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=293796#p293796

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2014, 07:50:44 PM »
Bless you sir. Pick up your hundred Eberle escudos at any open window.
Travis L. Eberle

fthrmulcahy

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2015, 01:34:14 AM »
Feel free to think I am taking this too far....in the event of a tie you could pay both players out but neither comes back as champion...you would never have players purposely playing for a tie ever again.  Maybe it's draconian but in this age of game theory it might me necessary.  Just my two cents...

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2015, 01:47:20 AM »
Feel free to think I am taking this too far....in the event of a tie you could pay both players out but neither comes back as champion...you would never have players purposely playing for a tie ever again.  Maybe it's draconian but in this age of game theory it might me necessary.  Just my two cents...

It is draconian. And asinine.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2015, 01:48:42 AM »
But then you kill the reward of finishing first, even if as co-champions. And now you penalize two people who worked their butts off for 22 minutes. Sure they get their money, but they don't get to defend the crown. It would be like NFL two teams finishing 12-4 in the division, calling them both division champions, but not allowing them to go to the playoffs. Besides, I think viewers would scratch their heads if, on the next program, Alex says "Well...we had a thrilling tie for first place yesterday...but those two won't be back today."

I'm not the biggest fan of a sudden death, but sending both home is unfair IMO.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2015, 01:51:18 AM »
Or maybe they say "If I get FJ right I win thirty grand. Yes please."

Most people who get on the show don't win so it stands to reason that if you allow more people to win they will take you up on it. You also need to have more contestants in the green room, as opposed to the ten that you need now; and then you have the issue of having leftover players at the end of the week. (I'm sure the show has twelve or more people backstage because someone might get sick or scared, but I wouldn't want to go through the whole day only to find out that I have to come back tomorrow and do it again, with no assurance that I'll get to play.)

If pressed to come up with something new, I would have the winner of the tie-breaker clue keep the money, but the other player gets to come back. Or let them divide the prize money.
Travis L. Eberle