Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! to Eliminate Ties?  (Read 46084 times)

chad1m

Jeopardy! to Eliminate Ties?
« on: November 06, 2014, 12:53:30 PM »
A couple of sources are corroborating the idea that games will no longer end in a tie on Jeopardy! Any ties at the end will be broken by a sudden death clue. The winner gets their score, the loser gets second-place prize. I believe this is the biggest (and only) rule change since they altered buzz-in procedures in 1985.

If this indeed happens, how will you feel? I don't mind ties going away. Organic ties are fun, but it feels like more of them have been "manufactured" in the last season or two. Ties were a novelty for a while, but I think the tiebreaker clue will be a more exciting finish to the show.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Jeopardy! to Eliminate Ties?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 12:55:44 PM »
Citations?

I like ties; it's fun to watch more people winning money, especially when the tie is unexpected like the one on $20,200 last week. How is a tie manufactured, anyway? Usually things have to happen just-so for it to work; it isn't like the leader after DJ is betting enough that he'll tie if he's right, and second-place has to double-up and be right too.
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 01:14:28 PM »
Citations?
A discussion at The Jeopardy Fan, plus someone I know who talked to a reliable source. (I understand they're important, but I'd like to think I've established enough credibility at this point that I'm not spreading bowling-buddy information.)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »
(I understand they're important, but I'd like to think I've established enough credibility at this point that I'm not spreading bowling-buddy information.)
My intent wasn't to impugn your reputation; I just wanted to know who was putting it out there, because it's a rather big change (I think the elimination of retiring champions would qualify as a big rule change as well).
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 01:19:21 PM »
it isn't like the leader after DJ is betting enough that he'll tie if he's right, and second-place has to double-up and be right too.

That's pretty much what's happening, yes.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:20:02 PM »
That's pretty much what's happening, yes.
Pardon me, I left off a clause. That's not happening every day, otherwise we'd be having ties all the time.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 01:20:29 PM »
Not a huge fan of the idea, and not because it's a "not broke, don't fix it" deal. I kinda feel that Jeopardy! is unique in that, after questioning 61 answers, if you tie with someone, you earned that payday. To lose it all on a 62nd question seems more manufactured IMO, and kinda anticlimactic. Besides, the show already seems kinda rushed at times, so I wonder how this would look. And unlike other shows, the highest score here doesn't send you to the bonus round.

That said, if two contestants tie at $15,000, I totally get the producers' wanting to give away $17K instead of 30K, even if it doesn't happen that often.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tpirfan28

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 02:01:58 PM »
I don't like the shootout in hockey.

I don't like this.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

weaklink75

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 03:09:57 PM »
Agreed with those who don't like this change- if it ends up in a tie, it ends up in a tie; bite the bullet on the extra money and deal with it.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 03:12:08 PM »
I look at it as nearer to the wild-card round that MLB gave us: instead of being more special, it is less special because it is predictable. The tie-breaker clue is a special thing because it only happens in tournaments, and the implication of that clue is huge.

If the show is going to change something, why not change "spelling counts except when it doesn't"? That comes up far more often and is a thing that should actually be dealt with instead of ties. I'd actually be in favor of the tie-breaker if the losing co-champion was allowed to come back the next day but won no money for it.

According to BuzzerBlog, one of the sources is Ryan Alley, recent three-game winner, who says it is his strong belief that the rule change will happen after the tournament.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:25:08 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Jay Temple

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 03:41:55 PM »
I too don't like this change. That said, during the first season, they explained on a daily basis that if there was a tie for second and third place, the player who led going into FJ would take second place. I just assumed, until it happened, that they would do the same thing for first place. I'd even prefer that over a 62nd question.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 03:53:29 PM »
To me, that seems even more unfair and just as anticlimactic as the extra question. If I have $7,500 and my opponent has an even $15K, I could go for broke, but it still wouldn't matter because I'm pretty much going home with the consolation cash.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 04:08:31 PM »
To me, that seems even more unfair and just as anticlimactic as the extra question. If I have $7,500 and my opponent has an even $15K, I could go for broke, but it still wouldn't matter because I'm pretty much going home with the consolation cash.

Not only that, your opponent is being forced to wager something on the FJ in that event to ensure a tie doesn't happen. That just makes the whole exercise stink.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Ian Wallis

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 05:56:09 PM »
It seems ties have been happening more frequently lately, but if this is true I don't like it either.  I agree with what the others have said - if you're tied with someone after FJ, you've earned that money.  It's not like the production company is going to go broke anyway.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »
It's not like the production company is going to go broke anyway.
Probably not, but based on this post by Jess (Prizes) over at the Buy A Vowel forum where she goes through the company's recent financial statements, Sony's not exactly swimming in money either.

Even so, it's still a pretty bad change.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...