Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndicated game shows that were uncleared in major markets  (Read 31577 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Syndicated game shows that were uncleared in major markets
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 01:28:40 AM »
However we didn't get the Syndicated $ale of the Century in the San Francisco Bay Area at least KOVR in Sacramento airs the show along with WOR (now WWOR My9) in NYC for those who have Cable Television.

The EMI went all the way out to Frisco? Nice.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 07:34:14 PM »
Other shows not shown in [Cleveland] include Strike It Rich
WJW wasn't even interested in Strike It Rich (though they and then-fellow Storer station WAGA did air Break The Bank)?!
I would guess WJW was disenchanted with how Break the Bank did.  Doing some research through the Plain Dealer online database (yay perks of being a Cleveland teacher), Break the Bank went from 4 PM to 9:30 AM sometime in early 1986.

JMFabiano

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 11:54:46 AM »
Not first-run, but I don't think NY got the syndicated rerun package of PYLs.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 09:10:13 PM »

To the best of my knowledge they didn't. I didn't even know there was a rerun package until years later, and I believe that I learned this through the GSF.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 09:19:05 PM »
I don't even know when exactly did PYL's rerun package air, prior to the USA reruns, which began on September 14, 1987. All I know was that it was the February 25-August 23, 1985 episodes (as Ian Wallis said), and that they had a Republic Pictures logo, as well as a Whammy voiceover, at the end of each of them saying something like "these contestants get away with murder on the next Press Your Luck".

If I had to take a guess, I'd say it aired during Winter and Spring 1987. One or two cycles.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 11:51:02 AM »

To the best of my knowledge they didn't. I didn't even know there was a rerun package until years later, and I believe that I learned this through the GSF.

IIRC it was only sold to markets that never aired PYL in first run. Baltimore, Rochester (NY), and Miami were three with the first two ironically airing on the then-CBS stations that passed on PYL to begin with.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 12:37:29 PM »
Chicago also has the rare case of a network show not clearing on an O&O station--WBBM never carried the first half-hour of Family Feud Challenge.  They carried the second half-hour after TPIR.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 05:42:36 PM »
I don't even know when exactly did PYL's rerun package air, prior to the USA reruns, which began on September 14, 1987. All I know was that it was the February 25-August 23, 1985 episodes (as Ian Wallis said), and that they had a Republic Pictures logo, as well as a Whammy voiceover, at the end of each of them saying something like "these contestants get away with murder on the next Press Your Luck".

If I had to take a guess, I'd say it aired during Winter and Spring 1987. One or two cycles.

I believe it was syndicated in early 1987.  Original plans were to produce 100 new episodes for syndication, but obviously there wasn't enough interest so reruns were syndicated to a handful of stations instead.

Pittsburgh was another city that got the reruns.   CFMT in Toronto also had them, but oddly enough CITY, another Toronto station aired the show first run during most of 1985.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JMFabiano

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 03:22:25 PM »
Chicago also has the rare case of a network show not clearing on an O&O station--WBBM never carried the first half-hour of Family Feud Challenge.  They carried the second half-hour after TPIR.

Similar to what happened in syndication to Dawson comeback era. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

aaron sica

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »
IIRC it was only sold to markets that never aired PYL in first run. Baltimore, Rochester (NY), and Miami were three with the first two ironically airing on the then-CBS stations that passed on PYL to begin with.

As verified in the July 10, 1987 issue of "Item" (the TV supplement to the Gettysburg Times), WBAL-11 aired PYL at 10:00 a.m., pre-empting 25K Pyramid. CS was also pre-empted at 10:30 a.m. for "Dating Game".

johnnya2k3

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 07:04:54 PM »
Let's Ask America isn't airing in Atlanta, as did (after looking at old threads) Trivial Pursuit: America Plays.

chrispw1

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 09:48:28 PM »
Here are the shows that never cleared Chicago
Narz Concentration
Kennedy Price Is Right
Face The Music
Bullseye, a bit surprising WFLD 32 didn't pick it up since they were airing just about all the other syndicated Barry and Enright game shows Tic Tac Dough, Joker's Wild, Hollywood Connection, Play The Percentages
syndicated Fleming Jeopardy
Pitfall
$128,000 Question
original Crosswits only ran like four months on WFLD 32 in the spring-summer 1978

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 12:52:43 AM »
Let's Ask America isn't airing in Atlanta
This is actually a great example, if not the best one yet. The show currently does not air in any of the top 10 markets. The largest market is actually Phoenix, at #11.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 01:54:30 AM »

On the subject of network shows not being cleared, WNEM in Saginaw didn't clear Brady LMAD for at least the first season.

Also, I believe someone once said that WEYI, back when it was CBS, didn't clear TPIR for a while.
Bobby Peacock

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2014, 12:32:07 PM »

On the subject of network shows not being cleared, WNEM in Saginaw didn't clear Brady LMAD for at least the first season.

Also, I believe someone once said that WEYI, back when it was CBS, didn't clear TPIR for a while.
In Saginaw, LMAD was on WNEM 2, the My affiliate sub-channel for the first couple years.  When Nate Berkus went off, LMAD was moved to WNEM 1.  I mentioned here that when TPIR went to an hour, WEYI aired the 700 Club and later other programming covering the hour-long TPIR.  The general manager of WEYI disliked TPIR and said so on an "Ask the Manager" call-in show.  (He didn't mention the ca$h he got for running 700 Club). This lasted until the early 80's. We did get the Dennis James version of TPIR on WJRT (ABC) at night.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.