Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TVNewsCheck Article: Syndicators Serious About Playing Games  (Read 7806 times)

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
TVNewsCheck Article: Syndicators Serious About Playing Games
« on: October 15, 2014, 07:20:42 PM »
I know I've been a bit down on the state of the genre lately (partly because of the quality of much of the product, partly because, in my mind, I'm uncertain of the future of game shows in an all-on-demand, post-television future since, again IMO, they seem to be irrelevant to the mobile-internet generation at large).  Still, I found this article at http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/80053/syndicators-serious-about-playing-games fascinating. 

A couple of main points:

According to the article, it took a lack of new sitcom hits from the major networks in recent years, plus the success of the distasteful-to-many-if-not-most-of-us "Pheud", to send station groups chasing after new (or new versions of) mostly comedic game shows, one of them being the GSN flop Mind of a Man.  To say the least, this development does not fill me with confidence in the quality of these shows.

Apparently FremantleMedia has acquired the title/format rights to What's My Line? from CBS and is looking to revive it.  I have no idea when this happened, but apparently the transaction made sense to CBS since they weren't about to do anything with the property (and hey, why not sell it to Goodson-Todman's current successor-in-interest?).
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: TVNewsCheck Article: Syndicators Serious About Playing Games
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:46:28 PM »
Follwing up on this, Millionaire might finally be bowing out after thirteen years if I read this correctly.

The article Tony linked to mentioned that it dropped to 0.5 among the 18-49 demo (which I have to find misleading, as don't most stations that air Millionaire not air it at times where many 18-49 year olds would be home watching TV?).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 10:09:41 PM »
I had thought that this topic would have generated more discussion than it has: I guess my malaise about the state of the genre is more widespread among the forum than I had realized.
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 10:44:11 PM »
It's possible that nobody had anything to add, and not because of widespread mopery on our part.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 11:42:25 PM »
A thought that hit me earlier today...cool to see that there could be up to four new offerings, although it would suck to lose two.

That being said, it seems a lot of markets are starting or ending their local newscasts earlier or later. Here, the news runs from 4-6:30pm on the "big three" stations, and it appears to be a trend across the country. Squares aired at 5:30 pm in this area its first three seasons, then alternated between 4 and 4:30 pm the remainder of the run, so I wonder what kind of slots it and other daytime games will go for with that 2.5 hour block now being occupied by newscasts, which are far cheaper.

Of course, with there being half as many soaps as there were 16 years ago, early daytime remains an option.

/Never thought I'd see the day where Feud in its current form would outlast Millionaire
//Or the original Feud for that matter
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 11:49:38 PM »
As far as I know, only two of the Big Three here have actually tried running a 4:00 newscast- one flopped, the other is doing relatively well.

I'm not sure if any of them would consider it now, reason being that Ellen and Judge Judy are pretty well entrenched and there's no other place to put the former. I could see WNYW doing it, considering they moved Dr. Oz off of 4:00, but they simply plugged TMZ Live there and considering how closely they've chosen to connect themselves with TMZ I don't see that happening any time soon. (WWOR pays hardly any attention to news these days and WPIX is just too disorganized to pull it off.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 07:50:12 AM »
Follwing up on this, Millionaire might finally be bowing out after thirteen years if I read this correctly.

The article Tony linked to mentioned that it dropped to 0.5 among the 18-49 demo (which I have to find misleading, as don't most stations that air Millionaire not air it at times where many 18-49 year olds would be home watching TV?).
Can the new season be time-shifted?  I know last season was copy-protected, so you had to watch it at the broadcast time.  You'd have to be unemployed or up at 3am to see the show, which probably didn't help in the ratings talleys.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

pacdude

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 08:52:35 AM »
I DVR Millionaire every day. I did last season too. Not sure what your DVR's problem is.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 09:37:45 AM »
I DVR Millionaire every day. I did last season too. Not sure what your DVR's problem is.

I only have a VCR, no DVR yet :(
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLdude

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 01:43:03 AM »
Further following up...ABC News Radio reported Monday that Tyra Banks is getting a new talk show for daytime called "The Fab", which is to premiere next fall and has already been sold to ABC's O&O stations.

So if there was hope for a renewal of Millionaire before, I think that pretty much killed it. Looks like the Daytime Jeopardy experiment is gonna be over after a year too.

They have to find room for the show somewhere...

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 01:50:46 AM »
Further following up...ABC News Radio reported Monday that Tyra Banks is getting a new talk show for daytime called "The Fab"
TV is getting really, really lazy with the titles for talk shows. :-P

Meanwhile, folks are clamoring for another daytimg talk show for Tyra?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 03:26:28 AM »
TV is getting really, really lazy with the titles for talk shows. :-P

I dunno... naming a show like this after a word that can be short for "fabrication" writes multiple plotlines by itself.

Meanwhile, folks are clamoring for another daytimg talk show for Tyra?

"Meanwhile, folks are clamoring for another daytime talk show for Ellen?"  said a lot of people 10 years ago.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm sick of this panel format.  But this type of show is personality driven; and Tyra's is, for better or for worse, sizable.  We're always surprised by what sticks to the wall every year.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

PYLdude

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 04:13:45 AM »
"Meanwhile, folks are clamoring for another daytime talk show for Ellen?"  said a lot of people 10 years ago.

They shouldn't have been, considering she'd never hosted one before. :)

I don't know how relevant Tyra is anymore, though...does anybody really pay attention to her show these days? Maybe ignorance talking, but still...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:28:18 AM by PYLdude »

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 06:04:47 AM »

My foot is especially tasty today.  Must be the seasoning.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

PYLdude

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 12:00:15 PM »

My foot is especially tasty today.  Must be the seasoning.

Hey, you can never have enough sriracha as they say. ;)

I think.I know where you were going, though- she had just flopped in her grand return to network TV after all. I'm certain some people were saying "why does she get a show, she's not relevant anymore" or stuff along those lines.