Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Press Your Luck and Challenger Explosion  (Read 18004 times)

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Re: Press Your Luck and Challenger Explosion
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 12:43:36 AM »
Now personally, I care even less than you about a Press Your Luck episode guide.  But things were progressing pretty smoothly until the hornet's nest was kicked.  And this time, Vahan didn't do the kicking.
But he still chose to engage in his own way. Since when has "he hit me first" ever worked? Bring it up Behind the Scenes, report the post, maybe even a polite remark about how it was for his pet project instead of roping me into his excuse-making; any of those would have been an improvement.

That goes both ways, though.  When people found the topic of conversation unacceptable, did they take it out back, or did they keep it in a public forum?  Vahan was called out in public, so he defended himself in public.  It's not really fair to expect one set of behaviors by one poster versus another, regardless of psychological makeup, track record, or even whether we like them or not.  And we really are expecting this, since Vahan was the only one called out for this behavior in all of this.

And every time we say "You could move the needle a bit by doing (whatever)," all we get back is static. How long are we supposed to endure the silliness without saying anything?

That's an excellent question.  But again, where did we say something, and how did we say something?  In public, and a way that was not tone-neutral.  Again, it's a set of double standards.  We're reaching judgement not on the post, but on the poster.  And even though most of people who have been "permanently separated" from our walled garden are pretty much broken, when they complain in other circles about unequal treatment, there's a grain of truth to that.  We can be better than this.

Everyone is entitled to their own paradigm of what is distasteful and what isn't, and to comment and debate about it. They don't have the right to enforce their own position, but it is also up to us to put forth an effort to be considerate to most of the people most of the time.

Makes sense to me.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

mmb5

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2014, 10:30:52 PM »
Back to semi-sanity: according to this page (http://tvnews.vanderbilt.edu/tvn-day-search.pl?SID=20141019638092041&code=tvn&ShowYear=1986&ShowMonth=01&ShowDay=28), all of the networks had interrupted by 10:42 Central, four minutes after the explosion.  None of the three networks had broadcast the launch live.  All networks also showed the memorial service held on Friday from 12:30-1:30 PM Central.

And if you really care, all three networks carried the next shuttle launch on 9/29/88 live at 10:20 Central.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 10:54:27 PM »
And if you really care, all three networks carried the next shuttle launch on 9/29/88 live at 10:20 Central.

FINALLY!  Now I can make some sense of my Daytime Win, Lose or Draw Index!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JonSea31

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 07:33:59 PM »
In 1986, Press Your Luck would air on the local CBS affiliate in Detroit at 9:00 a.m. ET on weekdays until, unless I am mistaken, sometime in June.  I remember the show that replaced Press Your Luck in the summer of 1986 -  it was the syndicated game show The $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime, which moved from 7:00 p.m. ET (or 7:30 p.m. ET) to 9:00 a.m. ET.  Replacing Chance was a local game show called Jackpot Bingo.  Sounds like, by June 1986, the local CBS affiliate in Detroit was ready to drop Press Your Luck while the show had so little life left.  And so they did.
I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.