Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Celebrity Bowling on metvnetwork.com  (Read 25970 times)

irwinsjournal.com

Re: Celebrity Bowling on metvnetwork.com
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 07:45:51 PM »
The choices for streaming the week of 10/20/2014 include Episodes 10, 30, 31 and 37.   It was interesting to contrast 10 and 30 with the later episodes that were available the previous week.

I'm not a good bowler (you try for a 300 game, I'm happy with a 300 series) and some of the celebrities weren't either.   I'm not sure everyone in Episode 30 was having a good time.

According to Wikipedia (yes, I know...) there were 144 episodes, and MeTV has #144 out there this week as well.
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 11:58:11 AM »
Just a heads up... the streaming choices for the week of 11/3/2014 include Episode 49, which has Tom Kennedy among the Celebrity Bowlers.

This link should work for as long as the episode is available...

http://metvnetwork.com/videos/celebrity-bowling/celebrity-bowling-episode-49

Mostly off topic, there are also two episodes for the Adam-12 fans out there, with Martin Milner and Kent McCord teamed up.

irwinsjournal.com

JayDLewis

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 04:08:01 PM »
Did they ever give away the car?
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »
They gave away a car at least once.  I saw an episode back in the day where Michael Cole (the actor, not the rasslin' announcer) and his Mod Squad colleague Tige Andrews accomplished the feat.
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 10:55:19 PM »
Just watched the Tom Kennedy episode.  Amazing to see McLean Stevenson being introduced pre-M*A*S*H as a co-star on The Doris Day Show.  It's also amazing how totally entertaining this little show can be.  In many ways, it's the perfect celebrity game show.  The prizes are secondary and everybody is just there to have a good time, so the normal defenses are down. 
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 08:48:11 AM »
Very happy to see that there is some streaming content available, and delighted to be reminded how loose this show is.
czambo@mac.com

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 04:06:28 PM »
The selections for the week of 11/10/2014 include an episode with Richard Dawson (one of the opponents is Roy Rogers!).    He's referred to by Jed Allan in the intro as "Dick Dawson."  His partner is Lyle Waggoner who's noted as being on "It's Your Bet."   (Waggoner hosted the last season... I know, most of you knew that already.)

This should work while the episode is available:

http://metvnetwork.com/videos/celebrity-bowling/celebrity-bowling-episode-61

I am going to have to check most of these other names...

irwinsjournal.com

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 08:47:39 PM »
OK, maybe I'm the only one left here looking forward to see what episodes are posted each week...

This week, 'on topic' guests include Jan Murray, Morey Amsterdam, Fannie Flagg and Nipsey Russell.   I wonder whether it would be easier to make a list of game shows on which Nipsey did not appear vs. ones on which he did.

If you don't watch any other one, and you only have a minute, it's worth the start of Episode 70 just to see Jed Allan's outfit :)

http://metvnetwork.com/videos/celebrity-bowling/

irwinsjournal.com

KWJCDon

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 10:24:06 PM »
I've been enjoying the Roller Derby reruns too!

MyronMMeyer

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 02:29:34 AM »
At this point, the FCC should just require every network to show at least one hour of Harvey Feud per day.

And also, in compliance with the Fairness Doctrine, another hour of Harvey Feud, in rebuttal.

-M
Heh-heh, "butt".

BrandonFG

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 02:51:40 AM »
This is slowly becoming a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. Very fun show...would love to see it come back with similar prizes, but without trying to replicate the kitsch. Just let it be two pairs of bowlers having fun for half an hour.

Wiki says there was a revival in the fall of 1987, which Jed Allan also hosted. Anyone recall this?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »
Quote from: JayDLewis
Did they ever give away the car?

They gave away a car at least once.  I saw an episode back in the day where Michael Cole (the actor, not the rasslin' announcer) and his Mod Squad colleague Tige Andrews accomplished the feat.

Just watched it...  Episode 70: Cole and Andrews bowled a 266 to win the car easily (a 210 was needed).   Jed Allan said that the previous high score had been 206 and that was two years previous.

irwinsjournal.com

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 08:58:49 PM »
Catching up to this week's episodes... at the end of #108 Jed Allen shows a copy of... "The Celebrity Bowling Christmas Album" (!!!) which apparently contains excerpts from some of the shows.  It wasn't meant to be sold, explained Jed, but there are a few copies available for the asking by writing to Metromedia.  If I'd only known back in 1973.

Sadly, there are currently no copies available on Amazon.com at this writing, but it is currently ranked #1,888,157 in Music. 

None on eBay either, though there are several copies of the Celebrity Bowling DVD Box Set.

irwinsjournal.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2014, 08:45:25 PM »
Catching up to this week's episodes... at the end of #108 Jed Allen shows a copy of... "The Celebrity Bowling Christmas Album" (!!!) which apparently contains excerpts from some of the shows.  It wasn't meant to be sold, explained Jed, but there are a few copies available for the asking by writing to Metromedia.  If I'd only known back in 1973.

I have a picture of it, but don't have one myself.  I had assumed it wasn't actually released commercially, but it's nice to have confirmation of that from Jed all these years later.

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/gshghp/Pix/CelebBowl.jpg
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 08:13:52 PM »
Haven't watched any of this week's offerings yet but there are two with Richard Dawson and one with Chuck Woolery, who's paired with Jo Ann Pflug, who was Mrs. Chuck Woolery at the time.   

irwinsjournal.com