Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Major late September schedule changes  (Read 98103 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Re: Major late September schedule changes
« Reply #315 on: November 04, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »
So the reruns haven't been on TV for a minimum of 20 years (I have no idea when said reruns did air) but that's a reason to skip them?
In fairness, there could be other factors involved: tape issues, the shows not being in broadcast quality, or simply that they're not part of this lease. Personally, I would've held shows 585-593 off to air as Christmas/New Year's-related programming, especially 587.

Still, based on Jason Hernandez's episode guides for late 1985 and 1986 (warning: gameplay and winnings spoilers), we'll only really be missing four shows (589-592) since 593-597 all circulate and are online.

Something tells me there will be a last minute schedule change.
Wouldn't be surprising, since these are advance schedules.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:17:59 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

tyshaun1

« Reply #316 on: November 05, 2014, 12:58:02 AM »
So the reruns haven't been on TV for a minimum of  20 years (I have no idea when said reruns did air) but that's a reason to skip them?

The episodes (from now until next Friday) that GSN is currently running have never been repeated. First time they've aired since the CBS run.

Tyshaun

chad1m

« Reply #317 on: November 05, 2014, 01:32:35 PM »
I don't usually do this, but this one struck me today. I'm 90% certain the middle contestant on Press Your Luck today was Madeleine Ali, who has been on many other shows like Greed, Million Dollar Password, Millionaire and Pyramid. Her last name was different (closed captioning says Alantre) but she has the same hometown and looks and sounds very similar, just a few years earlier.

Winkfan

« Reply #318 on: November 05, 2014, 02:52:28 PM »
In fairness, there could be other factors involved: tape issues, the shows not being in broadcast quality, or simply that they're not part of this lease. Personally, I would've held shows 585-593 off to air as Christmas/New Year's-related programming, especially 587.

Still, based on Jason Hernandez's episode guides for late 1985 and 1986 (warning: gameplay and winnings spoilers), we'll only really be missing four shows (589-592) since 593-597 all circulate and are online.

Oh, (GONG SHOW OOPS!)! I was so sure GSN would finally run the 12/31/1985 installment (ep. #591)! Let's hope they save it for 12/31/2014, or somewhere close to that date.

Cordially (but disappointed),
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

JonSea31

« Reply #319 on: November 07, 2014, 08:02:33 PM »
I did learn rumor on Facebook that the reason why the last 3 episodes of 1985 and the first 6 shows of 1986 are being skipped by GSN might be because the Executive Producer of Press Your Luck, Bill Carruthers, and maybe Producer Bill Mitchell, may have vetoed those episodes from being rebroadcast due to Peter promoting the time slot change.  USA Network may have aired January 6 to 9, 1986, and while I didn't find any (subtle?) mention at the beginning of the show of the time slot change, I did read somewhere (Jason Hernandez's episode guide?) that Peter explained the rules of the game and maybe there was mention of the time slot change during that time.  Of course, I will have to view the episodes over the weekend and see if there was any mention.

If the veto power is true, although Carruthers and Mitchell have passed away at least a decade ago, I am sure their estate is respecting their wishes.

Maybe I can contact Rick Stern on Facebook and find out if Carruthers and Mitchell really did veto those nine episodes from being rebroadcast.  Maybe USA aired the January 6 to 9, 1986 episodes because Carruthers and maybe Mitchell may not have realized that there may have been some subtle mention of the time slot change in those episodes.

Of course, with this latest skipping of episodes, maybe GSN will air all the episodes right to the end of at least February 1986 or maybe the beginning of March 1986 in the current lease and maybe we might see the earliest episodes from the "Across The Board" era.

But either way, I really am glad it's confirmed we're getting 1986 episodes.  But we have to get through the rest of December 1985 that GSN is going to air first - after all, these episodes have not been shown on TV since the original CBS airings nearly 29 years ago, so these gems will be a genuine treat to see.
I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #320 on: November 07, 2014, 08:25:22 PM »
If the veto power is true, although Carruthers and Mitchell have passed away at least a decade ago, I am sure their estate is respecting their wishes.

I doubt their estates would be the ones respecting any such wish. Last I checked, Fremantle owns the show these days; they'd be the ones who'd have to obey Carruthers' [or Mitchell's, though I doubt he'd have as much say-so!] orders.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #321 on: November 07, 2014, 09:29:39 PM »
Come to think of it, it was actually this YouTube quote alone that led me to believe that there was a ban on the episodes with the timeslot change announcement. From an individual named Joseph Lambert (emphasis: Mine).

By the way, the 1985 Christmas episodes were not allowed to be aired in reruns. The show moved time slots because of the cancellation of Body Language, which was announced in late November 1995. Card Sharks was named as it's replacement, but wanted to reverse declining ratings for this show.

WhammyPower

« Reply #322 on: November 08, 2014, 08:00:08 AM »
The show moved time slots because of the cancellation of Body Language, which was announced in late November 1995.
Seems a little late, don't you think?

JonSea31

« Reply #323 on: November 08, 2014, 02:06:21 PM »
The show moved time slots because of the cancellation of Body Language, which was announced in late November 1995.
I was going to say.  I think Vahan meant November 1985.
I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #324 on: November 08, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »

Whoa. Can't believe I missed that.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #325 on: November 08, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »
But more importantly, where did this Joseph Lambert individual get the claim that the episodes with such announcement were not allowed to air in reruns? Did he know someone who worked for Carruthers Company?

As some of the people here would say "Proof or not real".

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #326 on: November 08, 2014, 02:25:32 PM »

Which explains why you do not understand how that works.

It's not on us to prove or disprove his claim for you; it's on *him*.

So ask him, and get back to us with his reply.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #327 on: November 08, 2014, 02:31:33 PM »
I actually did try to get him to prove his claim, but to no avail.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #328 on: November 08, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »
Then I guess it's Not Real.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #329 on: November 08, 2014, 03:22:24 PM »
But more importantly, where did this Joseph Lambert individual get the claim that the episodes with such announcement were not allowed to air in reruns? Did he know someone who worked for Carruthers Company?

As others on this forum say, "Because." Maybe there's a reason, maybe not. It's probably not for the public to know.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!